Boxing

Sterling

El Presidente

He lost cause his costume was heavy come on now. Skills are overrated in boxing.
I mean obviously just standing there and getting hit while waiting for the moment to throw a telegraphed bomb is much better than actually boxing. It worked for him in 42 fights!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

He lost cause his costume was heavy come on now. Skills are overrated in boxing.
So he is saying walking around for maybe 15 minutes with a bar on his back ruined him for the fight? Holy Fuck, massive respect lost for him as a professional athlete.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wilder's actually a really awesome guy off camera, but damn he comes off unlikeable with a lot of this stuff.

Not even unlikeable like Mcgregor/Mayweather where you pay money hoping they lose, but in a way you just roll your eyes and want them to go away

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
more like a "flick"

So he's throwing palm heel strikes and generally not keeping his wrist as straight as most boxers do. Nothing illegal about the second thing, it's just risking hurting yourself. Don't know boxing's rules well enough to know if the palm heel strikes are kosher.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So he's throwing palm heel strikes and generally not keeping his wrist as straight as most boxers do. Nothing illegal about the second thing, it's just risking hurting yourself. Don't know boxing's rules well enough to know if the palm heel strikes are kosher.
palm heel strikes? he's not no fucking bas rutten

it's common to extend your arm to gauge distance

which is evident cuz he whiff twice already.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
palm heel strikes? he's not no fucking bas rutten

it's common to extend your arm to gauge distance

which is evident cuz he whiff twice already.

Your contention is that the 5th strike in that clip is him trying to gauge distance? Right after he just landed a pretty good punch? With his fingers peeled back? And then pushing up into his opponents eyes?

I mean, he's a great boxer and I'm not. I guess if that's how boxers gauge distance then that's how they gauge distance. All I'm saying is, that's why his gloves looked floppy.

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
Fucking casuals.

Lanx Lanx is the most correct on the jabs, it's actually called a flicker jab. The "palm strike" in this scenario isn't to gauge distance here. The distance is already dialed in, Wilder is backed into a corner and Fury has him in the pocket. The "palm strike" is a pawing jab used to pull down Wilders defenses and again block his vision for the next cross. This kind of jab has been used by several greats in boxing history like Tommy Hearns and Muhammad Ali.

1. Flicker jab feint
2. Flicker jab feint
3. Straight jab thrown intentionally short to "blind" Wilder from the next shot
4. Right cross
5. Pawing jab
6. Right cross
7. Pawing jab
8. Shovel hook
9. Left hook

All before Wilder even attempts to respond.

The use of a jab to "blind" your opponent is a pretty old technique that's criminally underused. Teddy Atlas describes it here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Fucking casuals.

Lanx Lanx is the most correct on the jabs, it's actually called a flicker jab. The "palm strike" in this scenario isn't to gauge distance here. The distance is already dialed in, Wilder is backed into a corner and Fury has him in the pocket. The "palm strike" is a pawing jab used to pull down Wilders defenses and again block his vision for the next cross. This kind of jab has been used by several greats in boxing history like Tommy Hearns and Muhammad Ali.

1. Flicker jab feint
2. Flicker jab feint
3. Straight jab thrown intentionally short to "blind" Wilder from the next shot
4. Right cross
5. Pawing jab
6. Right cross
7. Pawing jab
8. Shovel hook
9. Left hook

All before Wilder even attempts to respond.

The use of a jab to "blind" your opponent is a pretty old technique that's criminally underused. Teddy Atlas describes it here.

Finally, some good commentary. Perfect description of the sequence of events and you can see where his pawing jabs are really successful. Wilder looked lost at that point. His corner saved his ass.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The "palm strike" is a pawing jab used to pull down Wilders defenses an

The rest of it sounds solid, but are you blind? That wasn't pawing and it wasn't pulling anything down. It was going up

• 1Picard

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
The rest of it sounds solid, but are you blind? That wasn't pawing and it wasn't pulling anything down. It was going up
First, pawing jab is the name of the technique.

Second, figuratively down, not literally down. In addition to the primary use of blocking Wilders vision, the jab pushes Wilders head away from his gloves, keeps Wilder from closing his gloves together leaving a line open to exploit, and actually pulls Wilders right hand away slightly as he pulls back.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
First, pawing jab is the name of the technique.

Second, figuratively down, not literally down. In addition to the primary use of blocking Wilders vision, the jab pushes Wilders head away from his gloves, keeps Wilder from closing his gloves together leaving a line open to exploit, and actually pulls Wilders right hand away slightly as he pulls back.

If a pawing jab can do all that, then we simply have different terminology for the same thing.

• 1Picard

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Let me tell you guys how this is gonna go... Lame, wanted the AJ fight next.

Mikey Garcia got a solid win over Vargas last night at 147. DAZN had him listed at 5' 6.5", which is smalllll. I think he'd be better suited for 140, but maybe he can score a money fight with Crawford or something.

Sterling

El Presidente

Let me tell you guys how this is gonna go... Lame, wanted the AJ fight next.

Mikey Garcia got a solid win over Vargas last night at 147. DAZN had him listed at 5' 6.5", which is smalllll. I think he'd be better suited for 140, but maybe he can score a money fight with Crawford or something.
I mean I get Wilder being a stubborn dude, but I don't see how he's going to acquire enough defensive and combination skills to reasonably win. I mean it's totally possible he can catch Fury with a big shot, but it's not very likely.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
July 19th, Tyson Fury is arrested in Belfast b/c he murdered Wilder in the ring cuz no corner man was gonna throw in that towel.

• 1Worf

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I mean I get Wilder being a stubborn dude, but I don't see how he's going to acquire enough defensive and combination skills to reasonably win. I mean it's totally possible he can catch Fury with a big shot, but it's not very likely.

Saying no to another $20 million paycheck is very hard to do, plus pride. Honestly not sure if even a great shot from him could do what it needs to against a heavier Fury. I just don't see how Fury doesn't mug him again. I think there is still technically an out for Fury in the rematch clause (I thought I remember hearing that somewhere, I also did not read the article), but I imagine Fury will honor it.

Looks like Joshua vs. Pulev will happen June 20th in London, and then the hopeful push to Fury-Joshua in Fall! The very talented, albeit I think a tad bit too small former Cruiserweight, Oleksandr Usyk fights Chisora in the O2 in May. Usyk is very possibly the best "boxer" in heavyweight, but he is a smaller guy at 6'3 215 lbs. So fighting the really big guys might be tough. Super talented fighter out of the same stable as Lomachenko.

Last edited:

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Who has better chances to land the knockout punch: Wilder against Fury or McGregor against Mayweather?

The puncher always has a chance, but we know these guys are outmatched by every other metric.

• 1Seriously?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Who has better chances to land the knockout punch: Wilder against Fury or McGregor against Mayweather?

The puncher always has a chance, but we know these guys are outmatched by every other metric.

McGregor did hurt Floyd to the body late, which was probably more Floyd getting careless. Still probably Wilder, although both seem unlikely.