Breaking Bad

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Jesse was a dumb kid that was in way over his head. He eventually grew into a solid man (in terms of the show). Is everyone forgetting how well he was doing after Mike took him under his wing? Mike obviously saw something worthwhile in him and I would say he was pretty good at sizing people up. The Fring's revenge episode in Mexico proves that Mike was right about him.

Walt and his neverending butthurt ego couldn't let Jesse have that though. He had to take him away from Fring and put him back on the path that ended with Jesse in a pit and Mike with a bullet in his stomach.

Walt had no humanity by the end of the show and I'm not sure he EVER had any humanity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jesse was a dumb kid that was in way over his head. He eventually grew into a solid man (in terms of the show). Is everyone forgetting how well he was doing after Mike took him under his wing? Mike obviously saw something worthwhile in him and I would say he was pretty good at sizing people up. The Fring's revenge episode in Mexico proves that Mike was right about him.

he was only doing well b/c Gus and Mike setup events to mold Jesse.
70c5b6f93d99f6760109bba56f3cde14.png

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
he was only doing well b/c Gus and Mike setup events to mold Jesse.
70c5b6f93d99f6760109bba56f3cde14.png
No shit, and he still pulled it off. Jesse big dicking the Mexican chemist over his dirty shit lab was all him. Gus and Mike wouldn't have made it out alive without him.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Walt and his neverending butthurt ego couldn't let Jesse have that though. He had to take him away from Fring and put him back on the path that ended with Jesse in a pit and Mike with a bullet in his stomach.

Walt had no humanity by the end of the show and I'm not sure he EVER had any humanity.

This is exactly right. After Walt facilitated Jesse's gf's demise Jesse was done. He wanted out. Walt wouldn't let him walk away. He let her drown in her own vomit to keep Jesse where he wanted him.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

That was pretty much my favorite part of the series, when Gus and Mike take Jesse in to use him against Walt. And then, unexpectedly, Jesse flourishes under Mike where under Walt he didn't. There's more to that, there's some asides about Walt's mother and problems, I think that the may explain why Walt acts the way he does in some of these relationships.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Walt manipulated Jesse over and over to keep him in the subservient "mentee" position. Walt drew both of them further and further down this rabbit hole of degeneracy and greed, in the end not even because of any real need just because of his own hubris. The repeated theme of the show is the increasing costs they continue to pay for their actions. Jesse wasnt in a great place to begin with, and each action took its toll on him. He acted out at times, acted rashly, I dont think that's unrealistic or even uncalled for. Walt, on the other hand, is kind of a sociopath. He completely blew his life up because he was too proud to ask for help, too entitled to accept his life as is. He ruined the lives of countless people, including his own children. And I'd argue theres a reading of that ending that he never really grew past that, he died mired in that shit even if he did one redeeming thing in saving Jesse. It isnt as if this could have been a story about a couple of successful upstarts if Jesse had just sucked it up and worked with the white supremacists and Walt, or if Jesse had just kept his head down in Gus' lab and done his 8 hours a day. The things they were doing were horrible, they were horrible people.
a thing i said throughout the latter seasons was there are no "good guys" on this show, even Hank who is literally supposed to be a "good guy" due to his profession was as bad a person as Walt with his arrogance and flaunting of the law. skylar and marie were criminals as well. when everyone is a criminal it becomes diffiult to compare one's bad deeds to another. did walt manipulate Jesse? yes, but not as much as you may think. Jesse was coasting through life as an established dope dealer/junkie before Walt ever approached him about cooking. Walt merely harnessed what was already present. jesse was alway broken. lets not kid ourselves

Khane

I think I may go back and do a rewatch thanks to the new life in this thread.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Mike was a "cool" character, but he was also a bad guy, yeah he took Jesse under his wing, and? he did so to direct him to make meth for Gus, at no point was he trying to help Jesse escape the life, he just kept him around for Gus to take advantage of because Mike was a Gus guy. Mike may have been partial to Jesse because perhaps he reminded him of his own son, but his purpose never wavered. just another manipulative father figure like Walt.

also you guys forget that Jesse was scot free. he got all his share from Walt and had a shitload of cash which lead to Jesse's GF ODing. Walt warned Jesse giving him all the cash would lead to death, but did Jesse listen? of course not. when Walt saw the GF dying out, his first reaction was to help her, then he stopped himself because he realized saving her would just lead to a repeat performance and instead Jesse would be the one to OD and the GF would take a powder with everything while Jesse died alone. Walt made the executive decision to let darwin take its course with the GF and then get Jesse back going again. Walt was the one who ran Mike over there to clean up the mess.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
a thing i said throughout the latter seasons was there are no "good guys" on this show, even Hank who is literally supposed to be a "good guy" due to his profession was as bad a person as Walt with his arrogance and flaunting of the law. skylar and marie were criminals as well. when everyone is a criminal it becomes diffiult to compare one's bad deeds to another. did walt manipulate Jesse? yes, but not as much as you may think. Jesse was coasting through life as an established dope dealer/junkie before Walt ever approached him about cooking. Walt merely harnessed what was already present. jesse was alway broken. lets not kid ourselves
Dude, Walt definitely manipulated Jesse as much as I think. Their relationship transcended the criminal acts they were a part of, and at every stage Walt was there undermining Jesse, manipulating him, generally being a scummy dude. Whether Jesse was an addict outlaw dealer before he met Walt or not, that doesn't absolve Walt of his own actions, nor does it mean that Jesse wasn't redeemable. So was Walt, at some point.

So there's a distinction to be made. Skylar and Marie committed crimes. No doubt. But they aren't criminals in the same way that Walt or Jesse or Gus or Mike are criminals. And guys like Hank, he had flaws, he isn't superman, but he isn't comparable to them. I mean, try and gauge the amount of societal damage that Walt did. Between the murders and poisoning and other assorted violence and the drugs and the enabling of other groups/people, it's insane how big it really got. Compare that to Hank... being an asshole sometimes? Making shitty beer? Pressing Jesse in interrogation? It isn't comparable.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dude, Walt definitely manipulated Jesse as much as I think. Their relationship transcended the criminal acts they were a part of, and at every stage Walt was there undermining Jesse, manipulating him, generally being a scummy dude. Whether Jesse was an addict outlaw dealer before he met Walt or not, that doesn't absolve Walt of his own actions, nor does it mean that Jesse wasn't redeemable. So was Walt, at some point.

So there's a distinction to be made. Skylar and Marie committed crimes. No doubt. But they aren't criminals in the same way that Walt or Jesse or Gus or Mike are criminals. And guys like Hank, he had flaws, he isn't superman, but he isn't comparable to them. I mean, try and gauge the amount of societal damage that Walt did. Between the murders and poisoning and other assorted violence and the drugs and the enabling of other groups/people, it's insane how big it really got. Compare that to Hank... being an asshole sometimes? Making shitty beer? Pressing Jesse in interrogation? It isn't comparable.
i guess we'll have to disagree. Walt wanted no part of Jesse after he hooked up with Gus. Walt tried several times to get away from him because Jesse was a liability for Walt as well. Hank who yes made shitty beer and tricked Jesse, he also stormed into his home and brutally beat the fuck out of him. he also brutally beat the fuck out of an entire bar. he also used his position to get friends and family out of trouble with the law. he also committed illegal searches. yes, that hank. i know it ties everything into a neat little bow by saying that Walt was the big bad of the show and everyone else was just minor criminals who didnt really do anything unforgivable. i guess if you compare a mass murderer to somebody who merely killed his wife and her lover after catching them in the act one doesnt seem as bad as the other. still both people did bad things and nobody is exempt from blame. Jesse was a bad person, he just whined a lot more than Walt.

Khane

That was kind of the point of the show though. To make the audience consider the sliding scale of evil and how people who were otherwise normal members of society, or minor criminals may change over time due to circumstance and false beliefs. Especially when presented with monetary gain and/or notoriety.

There was a point in time during S3 where Jesse was honestly the only character in the show worth rooting for. If there was anyone worth rooting for at all. That season of BB was so outrageous that there were almost no redeemable qualities in ANY of the characters and they were all miserable to watch.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That was kind of the point of the show though. To make the audience consider the sliding scale of evil and how people who were otherwise normal members of society, or minor criminals may change over time due to circumstance and false beliefs. Especially when presented with monetary gain and/or notoriety.

There was a point in time during S3 where Jesse was honestly the only character in the show worth rooting for. If there was anyone worth rooting for at all. That season of BB was so outrageous that there were almost no redeemable qualities in ANY of the characters and they were all miserable to watch.
you rooted for this season 3 jesse?

• 1Like

Khane

Oh good, let's pick one clip from one episode and pretend that was the entirety of the season and that Khane didn't say "There was a point in time" but instead said "All of S3 Jesse was the best"

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i guess we'll have to disagree. Walt wanted no part of Jesse after he hooked up with Gus. Walt tried several times to get away from him because Jesse was a liability for Walt as well. Hank who yes made shitty beer and tricked Jesse, he also stormed into his home and brutally beat the fuck out of him. he also brutally beat the fuck out of an entire bar. he also used his position to get friends and family out of trouble with the law. he also committed illegal searches. yes, that hank. i know it ties everything into a neat little bow by saying that Walt was the big bad of the show and everyone else was just minor criminals who didnt really do anything unforgivable. i guess if you compare a mass murderer to somebody who merely killed his wife and her lover after catching them in the act one doesnt seem as bad as the other. still both people did bad things and nobody is exempt from blame. Jesse was a bad person, he just whined a lot more than Walt.
yea, remember how blissful Walt felt working w/ Gale? a fucking real Professional relationship!!!

i forget who fucks that up, it was either jessie or hank

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, Jesse was self aware. That scene were he confessed to the NA circle was one of the best scenes in the entire show. It's up there.

It's what makes Jesse the nominal best of the worst for regular cast. Walt was living a power fantasy, Mike and Saul did it just because it was their job. The others did not display the same level of self awareness. Except gus, but he was a two season antagonist.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh good, let's pick one clip from one episode and pretend that was the entirety of the season and that Khane didn't say "There was a point in time" but instead said "All of S3 Jesse was the best"
well tell me, when did you start rooting for him, i will find the clip for you and link it here.

Khane

I'll do you the favor Chuk

That was after Hank beat Jesse up hoping he'd give up Heisenberg. And Jesse didn't.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
yea, remember how blissful Walt felt working w/ Gale? a fucking real Professional relationship!!!

i forget who fucks that up, it was either jessie or hank
Walt fucked it up. Because he wanted that relationship he had with Jesse and the relationship with Gale was ultimately empty, to him.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didnt say everyone else was just a minor criminal and Walt was the only one who did anything bad. Marie stole a fucking piece of jewelry, Walt created a regional neo nazi drug syndicate. There are different levels, I dont even know what you're saying with this "nobody exempt from blame" thing. Blame for what? Yes, every character, every human in existence, has done some bad shit. That doesnt mean it's all equivalent.

I think you should rewatch the show. Walt spent most of the time he worked with Gus manipulating Jesse and modeling a father/son mentor/mentee relationship with him, for a lot of reasons.

Khane

I may be remembering this wrong but didn't walt order jesse to kill gale because walt felt gale was a threat (i.e. as smart, or smarter than him, his replacement). Though I guess that's kind of your point. Walt wanted the relationship dynamic he had with Jesse because Jesse was dumb and could be controlled. Gale was smart and couldn't be controlled.

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it, he told Jesse to kill Gale because it was the only way he would be able to stay alive/necessary himself.

Last edited: