Building a server for all your needs.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Guacamole - I find this thing invaluable for controlling all of my machines. It is an HTML5 based RDP/SSH/etc server. I can open a browser anywhere and authenticate into my guac server and then manage any of my servers. You can save the SSH keys etc in that and then you don't have to use some of the more insecure methods of working with these servers. If you put it on a machine inside a private network it can communicate to each of the devices via the private IP allowing you to block outside network access to your SSH ports. You can also add in your mothers, sisters, and whomever so you can manage their PC from wherever, whenever. Way better than Teamviewer if you put a tiny bit of effort into it

@a_skeleton_03 what is the best solution for remote controlling my server? Is TeamViewer (setup as LAN only) ok? Or do you use Window's built-in shit?

He probably just logs into vSphere.

Otherwise, RDP through a properly configured RD Gateway.

So I use guacamole to control everything that I can SSH or RDP into. I do not use a gateway but I limit connections to only the IP of the guacamole server.

I don't use any VMware products, I use proxmox so for management of VM's that software is accessible via web interface and it has auto built in. It also has direct console access to all VM's of course so I can watch them boot and access the "bios" etc.

Guacamole is really a lifesaver because I can have a central website with auth restriction that allows me to hit every server I have access to and since it is the only IP that talks to them you can lock them down quite well. I also then don't need any software installed on machines I can't do that on like government computers. I could even access and use it from an iPad or phone when I am desperate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe you're right.

I'll wait for them to come out with the next quad core NUC and buy a few of them.
I got a supermicro, I linked it above. The NUCs are a little cheaper and easier to get RAM for. Mine can only have one processor in it, has a 6 core xeon.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
we have a spare room with my roommates server in it already, shrug

My server is an i7-2600 right now with 24gb of ram, but I'm out of hdd bays, and its been unstable. I wiped it a few months ago and went from 2008 Datacenter to 2016 which did not natively support my NIC, had to modify the .inf file to let it install it. I don't know if that's a direct cause of the instability, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Last edited:

jeydax

Death and Taxes
@a_skeleton_03 is god. a_skeleton_03 is life. Got the Sonarr shit setup last night on my shitty server with his help. Simply amazing.

I solved the whole remote desktop thing with AnyDesk and only allow my Gaming-PC to access it since that's the only thing I need to access it with. I really like the AnyDesk program.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Bit the bullet on that server at 350, should allow some more tinkering. Now the roommate and I have to gerry rig a better cooling solution. Just his server was heating up our brew room, and it's not even warm yet.

This is our current plan, build a table/shelf tall enough for them to sit flush with bottom of window sill, seal around them, so hot air exhaust to exterior. Win!

server%20setup.png

Last edited:

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Power and networking, I'm not too concerned about that. House stays relatively cool in the summer from a lot of shade, and being coastal. Winter time we'll seal the servers in and utilize the heat to supplement our pellet stove.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anyone have a solution of streaming audiobooks to a Roku from a home server? Plex doesn't remember track position for audio books and google is failing me.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

I just set up a Dell T7500 with Ubuntu 18.04 as a Plex server last night. After struggling for hours getting Plex to see the files on my NAS, things are running decently so far. I am looking to add Plex Requests and maybe Tautilli (sucessor to PlexPy).

My problem is they just say to get it from their git so I google around how to do that. I'm a complete Linux noob so this involved a bunch of command line fuckery that I'm just copying and pasting in to terminal but don't really understand. I think I have Plex Requests running on boot, I didn't get the chance to verify it before I left for work.

If anyone has any advice or can point me to an idiot's guide I'd appreciate it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

I just set up a Dell T7500 with Ubuntu 18.04 as a Plex server last night. After struggling for hours getting Plex to see the files on my NAS, things are running decently so far. I am looking to add Plex Requests and maybe Tautilli (sucessor to PlexPy).

My problem is they just say to get it from their git so I google around how to do that. I'm a complete Linux noob so this involved a bunch of command line fuckery that I'm just copying and pasting in to terminal but don't really understand. I think I have Plex Requests running on boot, I didn't get the chance to verify it before I left for work.

If anyone has any advice or can point me to an idiot's guide I'd appreciate it.
Docker.

I will post about it later.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So update on my cooling solution.

Roommate also acquired a DL380 G7, and we acquired a pair of MSA60's to connect by SAS to provide 3.5" bays for our servers. Rack is a 24U Dell unit we got from a friend who was scrapping it where he worked.

Cooling solution was my creation. Wood piece in wall has a 3 3/4" x 4" rectangle but in it with a dryer vent flapper on outside. Fan is a Dayton 1TDR3 Blower 6" ducting was purchased from Home Depot and I used my grinder to cut a rectangle to mount 12 in. x 2-1/4 in. to 6 in. End Register Box-ERB12X2.25X6 - The Home Depot

Blower fan is rated at 273CFM at high static pressure and runs at 1600RPM, its quieter then the servers. We used cardboard to cover most of the rear mesh on the rack to force air flow from the front. Box fan in top of window is supplemental on the hottest of days.

36454494_10100278587804817_244219756075286528_n.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Just my little S2D/Hyper-V cluster. Dell PowerEdge T30, 4 core xeon/64GB RAM in each host. S2D has 480GB cache and ~16TB usable storage, riding on 10Gbit RDMA networking...they are directly connected to each other.

Performance is great, very quiet but doesn’t matter, very low power (UPS says under 100 watts).

42394F76-50F8-4114-BC79-2F3638EC76D6.jpeg9E38C0A9-8411-4106-A546-CA9A2C464B12.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Diving into advanced file systems on Linux! I just bought a second barebones DL380 G7 off ebay for $60 shipped. Got a pair of Xeon L5630's for $4 each, and an LSI SAS9207-BE for 25$. Going to move my MSA60 over to this system and run Linux with probably BTRFS to use as a NAS.

Current DL380 will be VM host.

I was looking at Rockstor for pre-made Linux OS with BTRFS solution, but I'd like to use the availability to use the system for more then solely a NAS. Need to look into how I can incorporate a BTRFS file share with a full fledged linux distro that I can mess with in other ways, maybe ProxMox. Not sure about virtualizing the file share system.

Last edited: