Business... Is it in the name?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I don't really know where to put this, so I'm just putting it here.

I'm starting my own photography studio and going all out in social media {as much as I don't want to, I don't use Facebook, Instagram, twatter, none of it.} but plan on doing all of the above including a YouTube channel. A good friend of mine is a successful YouTubeer and is going to feature me on his channel once I get to that point.

Anyway, my struggle is the name of the studio/business. A name can send a business/studio into the lime light or bury it in the shadows. I do makeup portfolios, Pin-up and Boudoir. Started as just a hobby and helping a friend build her portfolio but now want to take this hobby much further and do something I enjoy doing.

I've looked into some companies for name creation but they're wanting better part of $100,000 for it... Of course that's a package deal, trademarks, logo creation, etcetera.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Any companies that aren't quite as expensive?

I'm stuck on stupid for a name.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
This can go so many amazing directions....

I am not creative enough to think of something good.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Definitely not doing my name thing. My name is stupid... Both first and last.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

I'm starting my own photography studio and going all out in social media {as much as I don't want to, I don't use Facebook, Instagram, twatter, none of it.} but plan on doing all of the above including a YouTube channel. A good friend of mine is a successful YouTubeer and is going to feature me on his channel once I get to that point.

Anyway, my struggle is the name of the studio/business. A name can send a business/studio into the lime light or bury it in the shadows. I do makeup portfolios, Pin-up and Boudoir. Started as just a hobby and helping a friend build her portfolio but now want to take this hobby much further and do something I enjoy doing.

I've looked into some companies for name creation but they're wanting better part of $100,000 for it... Of course that's a package deal, trademarks, logo creation, etcetera.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Any companies that aren't quite as expensive?

you really just need a printer with the software for those things and buy the right paper for it. as for a name. you should think of something that's photographic related and add your first or last name. Vuuxo's Visuals or shit like that.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Photography is my jam. Nah, you need to network, be good with people and make a name for yourself. Your studio name won't really matter. Your work is what will sell. Your creativity, uniqueness, social media presence, etc. For studio work I've really admired Lindsay Adler. She does more fashion and fine art but worth looking at for ideas on lighting etc since you're both shooting studio. Keep an open mind and be willing to explore the unconventional.

Also don't pay anyone to brand this. You can do this on squarespace for nothing. Use Instagram, fb, all networks etc and get your work out there. The most successful photographers I've seen put a unique spin on their work. I appreciate studio, fine art, unique lighting etc, but Street photog is totally my jam.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Flashbulb?

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My gear isn't professional by any means. I use a Canon mirrorless M50 4K with Sigma 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses. I also use Neewer Disfusers and Neewer 660 RBG studio lights and Neewer Green screens.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
My gear isn't professional by any means. I use a Canon mirrorless M50 4K with Sigma 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses. I also use Neewer Disfusers and Neewer 660 RBG studio lights and Neewer Green screens.
Don't spend money on branding. Learn to hustle and be an awesome people person. Utilize Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc. Network like crazyyyy. Reach out to people on instagram. Your edge here will be if you can bring creativity AND business professionalism to the table, usually I've found those to be mutually exclusive to many photogs/videographers, the ones who can do both I've seen become very successful.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also map out sources of revenue. You may have to do genres of photog you don't like. You most likely will for a while if this will be your full time job. Be open to all sources of revenue, look at lindsay Adler for example, she brings in revenue through client shoots, classes via creativelive and workshops.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I LOVE dealing with people and especially making people laugh. I tend to get along with most people and creativity is just something I've always done. Drawing, music, been playing guitar for many many years now and I've always enjoyed photography. I used to do trick photography with an old Sony camera 20 years ago, anyway, I definitely plan on putting my own spin to this and the type of photography I'm doing people need to feel comfortable, safe and happy and I plan on doing my best to give them the best experience they can possibly get.

As far as equipment goes... I'm wishing I didn't get the Sigma lenses because there's really no difference between the stock lenses and the Sigmas other than range of color. Color is definitely more noticeable on the Sigmas than the stock but as far as sharpness and all that goes, honestly, I can't tell a difference.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I LOVE dealing with people and especially making people laugh. I tend to get along with most people and creativity is just something I've always done. Drawing, music, been playing guitar for many many years now and I've always enjoyed photography. I used to do trick photography with an old Sony camera 20 years ago, anyway, I definitely plan on putting my own spin to this and the type of photography I'm doing people need to feel comfortable, safe and happy and I plan on doing my best to give them the best experience they can possibly get.

As far as equipment goes... I'm wishing I didn't get the Sigma lenses because there's really no difference between the stock lenses and the Sigmas other than range of color. Color is definitely more noticeable on the Sigmas than the stock but as far as sharpness and all that goes, honestly, I can't tell a difference.
I mean are you shooting raw? Color shouldn't really be an issue regarding your lens. That's more color science with the camera manufacturer. Like Fuji has a very unique look versus sony, etc due to color science and also a unique look due to sensor (x-trans vs Bayer, etc).

If you want sharpness I'd shoot primes. If I was shooting exclusively studio I'd be shooting primes, 35/50/85mm.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I believe I've posted pics somewhere in this forum before or maybe that was Rerolled... Anyway, you want to see what I do. Here's one of my now ex-wife. She modeled for me once upon a time...and yes, shooting RAW.

FB_IMG_1506805185681-1.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I believe I've posted pics somewhere in this forum before or maybe that was Rerolled... Anyway, you want to see what I do. Here's one of my now ex-wife. She modeled for me once upon a time...and yes, shooting RAW.

View attachment 272344
I'd hit it.

Ok that aside. Play around with lighting to give it a unique look. This is a good shot but her legs have some strong highlights coming off that are distracting my eye, I mean you can see the shadow on her upper thigh and understand why when you examine how you setup your lighting, also backlighting is super distracting, my eye is being drawn all over, it seems like the majority of her is shadowed. Any other critique I'd give would be artistic opinion so not sure how worthwhile it would be.

Pick up some reading on studio lighting or watch creativelive. Tons of cool tricks you can do, making your own gobos etc can be a real game changer.

P.s. you got more boudoir pics?

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I do want to play around with the dark shades and colors, including backgrounds, I can see what you're saying. Yes, I have more of my ex but I don't have release forms/contracts for anyone else.