Butthurt white guys, an Asian virgin and an angry lesbian walk into a bar...

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah maybe went a bit overboard there, but now that I have Moon Bat on ignore, the Misting is suddenly a lot more inflammatory to me for some reason.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Nah, I think people who are quite clearly miserable and who hold views on sex that are so unhealthy they've literally been driven to the point of celibacy probablyshouldcheck themselves before they wreck themselves when attempting to judge others.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I seriously can't tell if the last 6 pages or so has been trolling, or if people are actually serious.
Lots of bitter neckbeard men in this thread, rofl. "never heard a guy say he enjoys conversations with women!"

Who let the TRPers out of their thread?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Welp, reposting this in the right thread

New DOJ data on sexual assaults - college students are actually less likely to be victimized

From 20% of all college females have been the victim of sexual assault allllll the way down to .61%. The truth is that the 20% statistic should never be mentioned again while in reality there is going to be a large push back against these numbers by those who have a vested interest in victimhood. I'm sure there are already twitter and tumblr posts about the DOJ fudging the numbers because it is part of the patriarchy. Thanks, MysogObama.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Welp, reposting this in the right thread

New DOJ data on sexual assaults - college students are actually less likely to be victimized

From 20% of all college females have been the victim of sexual assault allllll the way down to .61%. The truth is that the 20% statistic should never be mentioned again while in reality there is going to be a large push back against these numbers by those who have a vested interest in victimhood. I'm sure there are already twitter and tumblr posts about the DOJ fudging the numbers because it is part of the patriarchy. Thanks, MysogObama.
They used a very narrow definition of rape, which is a good thing because cheapening the word makes it more harmful for women. However, incidents such as being forced to perform oral sex may or may not be counted under the the NCVS methodology, depending on how the respondent interpreted the question, because it doesn't ask specifically for those things.

But the rest of those numbers contained within that report are still awful. 80% of campus these more narrowly defined rapey-rapes still go unreported. Only 17% of victims receive any kind of support services. That's terrible from a mental health standpoint.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They used a very narrow definition of rape, which is a good thing because cheapening the word makes it more harmful for women. However, incidents such as being forced to perform oral sex may or may not be counted under the the NCVS methodology, depending on how the respondent interpreted the question, because it doesn't ask specifically for those things.
Even the sexual assault number, which includes just groping or fondling, was 6.1%. It's just dramatically lower; even stretching the definition of sexual assault to any unwanted sexual contact.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Even the sexual assault number, which includes just groping or fondling, was 6.1%. It's just dramatically lower; even stretching the definition of sexual assault to any unwanted sexual contact.
Nope, you're reading that section wrong.

Caliane

But the rest of those numbers contained within that report are still awful. 80% of campus these more narrowly defined rapey-rapes still go unreported. Only 17% of victims receive any kind of support services. That's terrible from a mental health standpoint.
This is the overview and then methodology statements.
Rape and sexual assault are defined by the NCVS to include completed and attempted rape, completed and attempted sexual assault, and threats of rape or sexual assault. (see Methodology).

Rape is the unlawful penetration of a person against the
will of the victim, with use or threatened use of force,
or attempting such an act. Rape includes psychological
coercion and physical force, and forced sexual intercourse
means vaginal, anal, or oral penetration by the offender.
Rape also includes incidents where penetration is from a
foreign object (e.g., a bottle), victimizations against males
and females, and both heterosexual and homosexual rape.
Attempted rape includes verbal threats of rape.

" Sexual assault is defined across a wide range of
victimizations separate from rape or attempted rape.
These crimes include attacks or attempted attacks usually
involving unwanted sexual contact between a victim and
offender. Sexual assault may or may not involve force and
includes grabbing or fondling
This is probably the relevant question. appendix 1. page 14.
Definitions of rape and sexual assault. The NCVS,
NISVS, and CSA define rape and sexual assault slightly
differently. The NCVS definition is shaped from a criminal
justice perspective and includes threatened, attempted, and
completed rape and sexual assault against males and females
(see Methodology). Penetration due to coercion is included
in the definition of rape, but the survey does not specifically
ask about incidents in which the victim was unable to
provide consent because of drug or alcohol consumption.
Because the NISVS is focused on rape and sexual assault
from a public health perspective, the scope of sexual violence
included in NISVS is broader than the definitions used in
the NCVS. In NISVS, sexual violence includes threatened,
attempted, or completed rape, including incidents in which
the victim was unable to provide consent due to drug or
alcohol use; forced penetration of another person; sexual
coercion, which includes nonphysical pressure to engage
in sex; unwanted sexual contact, including forcible kissing,
fondling, or grabbing; and noncontact unwanted sexual
experiences, which do not involve physical contact.11 The
CSA definition of rape and sexual assault included unwanted
sexual contact due to force and due to incapacitation,
but excluded unwanted sexual contact due to verbal or
emotional coercion.12

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Right, but read the part near the beginning about survey differences between the three surveys, specifically about question wording.

Caliane

Right, but read the part near the beginning about survey differences between the three surveys, specifically about question wording.
Lets post that too.
Question wording. The language and ordering of questions
in a survey may affect whether a respondent indicated
that an incident occurred. The three surveys
used different approaches to asking about experiences
with rape and sexual assault. The NCVS used a twophased
approach to identifying incidents of rape and
sexual assault. Initially, a screener was administered, with
cues designed to trigger the respondent's recollection of
event and ascertain whether the respondent experienced
victimization during the reference period. The
screener questions directly focused on rape and sexual
assault were-
y (Other than any incidents already mentioned), has
anyone attacked or threatened you in any of these
ways:. (e) any rape, attempted rape, or other type of
sexual attack;
y Incidents involving forced or unwanted sexual acts are
often difficult to talk about. (Other than any incidents
already mentioned), have you been forced or coerced
to engage in unwanted sexual activity by (a) someone
you didn't know before, (b) a casual acquaintance? OR
(c) someone you know well?
Even if the respondent did not respond affirmatively to these
specific screeners on rape and unwanted sexual contact, the
respondent could still be classified as a rape or sexual assault
victim if a rape or unwanted sexual contact was reported
during the stage-two incident report.
Unlike the NCVS which used terms like rape and unwanted
sexual activity to identify victims of rape and sexual assault,
the NISVS and CSA used behaviorally specific questions to
ascertain whether the respondent experienced rape or sexual
assault. For example, one question on the NISVS survey read:
y When you were drunk, high, drugged, or passed out
and unable to consent, how many people ever.
- had vaginal sex with you? By vaginal sex, we mean
that {if female: a man or boy put his penis in your
vagina} {if male: a women or girl made you put your
penis in her vagina}.
- {if male} made you perform anal sex, meaning that
they made you put your penis into their anus? made
you receive anal sex, meaning they put their penis
into your anus?
- made you perform oral sex, meaning that they put
their penis in your mouth or made you penetrate
their vagina or anus with your mouth?
- made you receive oral sex, meaning that they put
their mouth on your {if male: penis} {if female:
vagina} or anus?13
Questions on the CSA used similar behaviorally specific cues
to identify victims of rape and sexual assault.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Nope, you're reading that section wrong.
Oh yeah, it's a per capita figure not %, so actually much lower (Reading the actual report now.)

But yeah, sexual assault in their survey is very broad.

Sexual assault is defined across a wide range of victimizations separate from rape or attempted rape. These crimes include attacks or attempted attacks usually involving unwanted sexual contact between a victim and offender.Sexual assault may or may not involve force and includes grabbing or fondling

Also, there doesn't seem to be any real amgiguity about Oral Sex, though I haven't looked at the questionnaire directly yet. They seem to make it clear.

had vaginal sex with you? By vaginal sex, we mean
that {if female: a man or boy put his penis in your
vagina} {if male: a women or girl made you put your
penis in her vagina}.
-
{if male} made you perform anal sex, meaning that
they made you put your penis into their anus? made
you receive anal sex, meaning they put their penis
into your anus?
-
made you perform oral sex, meaning that they put
their penis in your mouth or made you penetrate
their vagina or anus with your mouth?
-
made you receive oral sex, meaning that they put
their mouth on your {if male: penis} {if female:
vagina} or anus?

Only one of the three questionnaires used "rapey rape"...the others all used specific questions like the above. If anything, the report is weighted toward the broader scope of sexual assault, no? If not, can you please explain?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That report gave me blue balls. Is there a blue balls survey? I bet occurrences of blue balls on college campuses is > 20% per week. It's an epidemic, and something should be done.

Caliane

Reading this report just makes me think the other reports included ALL drunk sex as women being raped. Which is pretty hilarious.

But yeah, the entire conversation needs to be shifted towards support. I mentioned it before I think. and I don't get it. What is the fascination with laying blame, guilt and prosecution? its un-American dammit.
The entire debate seems to be focused entirely on punishing men, instead of supporting the male and female victims.
"Innocent until proven guilty" vs "Listen and believe". "Listen and believe" is TOTALLY fine when it comes to support. who cares if they are actually victims or just think they are victims. support them. You aren't slandering, or ruining someones life by giving support to a victim, even one that is mistaken.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Only one of the three questionnaires used "rapey rape"...the others all used specific questions like the above. If anything, the report is weighted toward the broader scope of sexual assault, no? If not, can you please explain?
Only the NCVS survey is used in that data. Read the damn report.

That question wording you quoted is from the NISVS survey, and listed as a comparison.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Giving support to a female victim of ANYTHING involves accepting all nonsense claims they make against things they hate. If you disagree with even a single syllable, you're being a jerk. This is anecdotal evidence from my time spent with women. So there is a conflict between "listen and believe" and "not slandering someone" in many cases.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Another part of the data that definitely needs to be looked at is that male students are over 4x more likely to be raped than male non-students in the same range. These are both samples of non-institutionalized persons, so people in prisons don't count towards the data.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That report gave me blue balls. Is there a blue balls survey? I bet occurrences of blue balls on college campuses is > 20% per week. It's an epidemic, and something should be done.
So thats why they all wear yoga pants?! Girls walking around purposely giving bros blue balls!

On a side note ASU thinks im a piece of shit rapist;
All students are required to take the Consent and Respect module as part of ASU's commitment to foster a positive learning, working and living environment that promotes a campus community without sexual misconduct of any kind. If you do not take this module by January 15, 2015, your ability to register for Fall 2015 classes could be impacted. It will take 7-10 days for your checklist to update following completion. Access the module here.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Only the NCVS survey is used in that data. Read the damn report.

That question wording you quoted is from the NISVS survey, and listed as a comparison.
Mist, I'm asking you because I'm busy in work and can only read blurbs, instead of being obtuse and letting go of little one liners, why don't you just explain what you meant. Reading over the methodology now. I'm still seeing a very broad, and open ended question.

Incidents involving forced or unwanted sexual acts are
often difficult to talk about. (Other than any incidents
already mentioned), have you been forced or coerced
to engage in unwanted sexual activity by (a) someone
you didn't know before, (b) a casual acquaintance? OR
(c) someone you know well?

I mean, I guess someone who could not consider oral sex a sexual act. But really? That sounds like crap. Need to read the questionnaire to find the other classification questions.