Butthurt white guys, an Asian virgin and an angry lesbian walk into a bar...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Study: Nearly 20% of college freshmen victims of rape - CNN.com

So this new study is still at only one college (bad) but uses a much more narrow definition of rape and in general a much more sound and thorough survey methodology and still comes to the same 1 in 5 number for freshman year alone, and "37% for all women surveyed from the age of 14 through the start of their sophomore year."

I'd be very interested to know which "large unnamed private university in upstate New York" this study was conducted at, because this place sounds fucking horrible.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Study: Nearly 20% of college freshmen victims of rape - CNN.com

So this new study is still at only one college (bad) but uses a much more narrow definition of rape and in general a much more sound and thorough survey methodology and still comes to the same 1 in 5 number for freshman year alone, and "37% for all women surveyed from the age of 14 through the start of their sophomore year."
I'd like to see how they defined incapacitated or unable to consent, but that kind of survey data is not good.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Wow girls who get drunk regret their actions at some small % rate. News at fucking 11 guyz!

iannis

Musty Nester
That sounded alarming until I read "victims of attempted or completed rape". And then it became CNN/Ivy League clickbait.

A genuine study would separate those questions. It is 4 questions they're rolling into 1 statistic.

If the professors are doing it, can you really blame the students for sloppy analysis.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Hurm,

; it crosses four perpetrator tactics (i.e.,overwhelm you
with arguments or continual pressure for sex,
use physical force,
threaten to harm you or someone close to you, perform sexual
acts while you were incapacitated by drugs or alcohol) with five
types of contact (i.e., fondle, kiss, or touch sexually; oral sex; try
to have sexual intercourse, but it did not happen; succeed in
making you have sexual intercourse; anal sex or penetration with
a finger or objects). Participants reported how many times each
had happened (1) before college; (2) fall semester; (3) spring
semester; and (4) summer

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, read the whole thing. The survey separates each possible potential behavior out but then only classifies a small subset of those behaviors as rape, which is what the previous studies did not do.

iannis

Musty Nester
That pdf is better than the article, but not by much.

I'm just saying it's a shitty study of the problem with an even shittier article to describe it, not that the problem isn't real.

You notice the creep there though? 18.6 becomes 19 becomes 20, and when you get down to page 2 it's actually 11.4. Which is still about 11.4% too high, but it is half of 20.

The present study addressed these limitations. We provide
point and cumulative prevalence estimates for A/C IR, and A/C FR
in a sample of first-year women, and test the hypothesis that
precollege history of A/C IR or FR predicts revictimization with
similar tactics
Honestly, I've got a problem with this.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That pdf is better than the article, but not by much.

I'm just saying it's a shitty study of the problem with an even shittier article to describe it, not that the problem isn't real.

You notice the creep there though? 18.6 becomes 19 becomes 20, and when you get down to page 2 it's actually 11.4. Which is still about 11.4% too high, but it is half of 20.

Honestly, I've got a problem with this.
Do you have any idea how to read a study?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Table 2 shows the association between precollege history of
incapacitated and forcible rape and revictimization. History of
precollege IR increased rates of both IR and FR during college.
History of precollege FR increased rates of FR during college. New
cases constituted 56% of the IR and 73% of the FR during the study
year. To test our hypothesis, logistic models regressed FR during
study year on both precollege FR and precollege IR and regressed IR
during study year on both precollege FR and precollege IR. Only
precollege IR predicted IR (odds ratio? 6.37; p< .001) and FR (odds
ratio ? 4.34; p < .001) during the first year after starting college.
In other words, being dumb enough to get yourself raped while drunk before college predicted being more likely to get raped while drunk or forcibly raped in college, but getting forcibly raped before college was not a predictor of either.

And I just got done talking to the person who did the study. Category of attempted rape only included force, threats of force or attempts while incapacitated.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A better idea than you have of how to isolate variables and think critically, apparently.
Its a separate hypothesis test on the same set of data.

It's okay to admit you have no idea what you're talking about.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What constitutes "attempted incapacitance rape"? How is incapacitated defined?
Being stupid and getting drunk/drugged around rapey boys.

But lets just look at the data forforcible rape. According to this, 21.7 of the surveyed women report an attempted or completedforcible rapeduring their lifetime before the start of their sophomore year of college. Using a very specific and narrow definition of forcible rape, discarding all the bullshit like groping and nonthreatening verbal pressure.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

But lets just look at the data forforcible rape. According to this, 21.7 of the surveyed women report an attempted or completedforcible rapeduring their lifetime before the start of their sophomore year of college. Using a very specific and narrow definition of forcible rape, discarding all the bullshit like groping and nonthreatening verbal pressure.
99.9% of those must go unreported then. Can't punish people if the victim doesn't report.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
99.9% of those must go unreported then. Can't punish people if the victim doesn't report.
Well, more accurately about 80% of them must go unreported. Or pretty much all of the attempted rapes going unreported, and maybe a third of the completed rapes going unreported. Eyeballing the numbers a bit.

Rates of underreporting for rapes are even higher among men from all the statistics I can find, so you can't just blame it on "girls r dum."

Jive Turkey

Karen
How is it that a study narrows the definition of rape down from the ridiculous parameters of the previous study, yet comes up with almost the same number? Honest question. Yes, I know it was a different sample population

iannis

Musty Nester

There you are with the fucking creep again. It is 11.4 for first term and I closed the window but I think it was something like 7.x% for second term. How many of those are the same responder we don't know and we should because it matters.

Teenage girls are pressured into sex by teenage boys, sometimes even forcefully? WELL GOSH. YOU DON'T SAY.

iannis

Musty Nester
You overstate and misrespresent your own position and then blame others for doing it to you.

Stop raping my brain.

No means no.