Butthurt white guys, an Asian virgin and an angry lesbian walk into a bar...

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
rrr_img_87868.png

Fedor

<Banned>

Making a new account cause I don't want to get any heat for this. I know who bitch that is and I know what she was doing. Not gonna name names cause I don't want to reign r/Kappa hellfire upon them. She's a local anime player and not very bright (I'm pretty sure she has aspergers or something like that), she's a very much "Social Justice Warrior" like aswell. Anyway she was not happy with ShinBlade and the Memphis team at all and was pretty vocal to a few people about her not liking ShinBlade thinking he's a rude person and too loud for the tournament. So when ShinBlade starts popping off she decides to go up and grab him, trying to look like she's calming him down but mainly to bait a reaction out of him. Not only did she try to get him DQ'd but he wanted him to end up as another Aris CrossAssault situation and make it look like he attacked her and get some serious heat heading his way from shit like Kotaku and Polygon. I guess she's going off the logic that cause she's a girl people will believe her over the guy. She wasn't alone on this either, she told her friends, who are thirsty as fuck white knight nerds, this whole thing and they jumped in. Hence you can hear dudes in this video yelling to DQ him before anyone knew what was going on even though he did nothing wrong and she was the instigator. This seriously isn't the first time she's played the victim like this to get someone else in a fucked up situation either, on facebook right now she's making the whole situation revolve around her. Anyway TOs show up and try to figure out what the fuck happened ready to get the DQ hammer out, I didn't hear the conversation but I assume dudes with tapes and witnesses confirm that ShinBlade did nothing and the girl started it, tournament continues but I assume ShinBlade was told to keep the pop offs quiet. I just wanted to shed some light on the situation before Kotaku shows up and tries to make it look like ShinBlade assaulted a woman and how the FGC is mysoginst.

EDIT: Prolly gonna delete this account right now too.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I never thought of that episode that way. Indeed, stop the infantilization of women and blacks.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
his eye's don't work, nothing is changing that except robot eyes, regardless of echo location.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did you miss the point entirely? Did you listen to it?

It spells out with evidence, plain as day, that expectations are more powerful of an influence than even the physical, biological reality of having eyes.

Which means you're a fucking moron if you think 'women don't do X because their brains are just 'wired' different.'

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
it means that what people usually think is a direct feed is actually a post production in your brain based of all your sensory inputs. I've always thought people in general have extreme adaptability, if you have confidence and you repeatedly practice anything. I always use asian monks as an example for that. he still can't really use his eye's, it's confidence, adaptability and repetition which is both inner and outer directed.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Did you miss the point entirely? Did you listen to it?

It spells out with evidence, plain as day, that expectations are more powerful of an influence than even the physical, biological reality of having eyes.

Which means you're a fucking moron if you think 'women don't do X because their brains are just 'wired' different.'
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. This story couldn't be any more unrelated to the topic at hand (you also apparently don't know any blind people).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's like this board is completely filled with people who can't extrapolate or generalize anything.

This is the whole reason they start off with the mice example before going into the blindness thing. It's not really about blindness at all.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's like this board is completely filled with people who can't extrapolate or generalize anything.

This is the whole reason they start off with the mice example before going into the blindness thing. It's not really about blindness at all.
WHO BITCH THIS IS?

Denaut

Trump's Staff

You are welcome to explain how neuroplasticity of the visual cortex is related to population scale gender differences. Generally.

Edit: My Bad, I skipped the prologue and listened to the rest. This still doesn't dispute anything we've discussed in this thread. No one has ever said that things are 100% nature (although some stuff like intelligence/height seem to be heavily nature). Just that some differences at the level of a population, like general interests, are influenced by nature and we can't ignore them when discussing "gender imbalance" in certain fields.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Mist always wants to say everything is 100% social since she wants social change and anything being nature-based would upset her agenda. She always argues as if we're all saying everything is 100% nature which we're not. Thats why it feels like you're talking past each other, because you are.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I worked with a person that was going blind, he would smash into walls and get hurt constantly because he refused to adapt to his new reality and tried to manage his daily routine very similarly to how he had back when he could see.

One can draw circumstantial findings from unrelated events, call it evidence; and jump to sweeping unsupported conclusions in the same way Mist does, in regards to how Mist continues to smash into logical barriers as she refuses to adapt and evolve to the reality she lives in.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You are welcome to explain how neuroplasticity of the visual cortex is related to population scale gender differences. Generally.
It's like you didn't actually listen to the podcast at all. Again, you're overfixating on the mechanics of the visual cortex.

The fact that Daniel could 'see' but Adam couldn't was not because Daniel had a higher degree of neuroplasticity than Adam. The important part is that plasticity was triggered by the expectations of those around them. One learned to see while the other learned to be helpless because of their social environment.

You also have a lousy understanding of population scale gender differences. Say you're plotting the gender difference of some given neurological attribute on a mean centered scale, and the mean for the male population is 0.15 and the mean for the female population is -0.15. There's still going to be a very large minority of males to the left of the female mean and a very large minority of females to the right of the male mean, meaning that population scale differences aren't particularly relevant when making an assumption about an individual. In other words, most neurological gender differences are measurably less than the standard deviation found in the overall population.

So if social expectations can be the difference between whether a blind man can see or not, and neurological differences are far smaller than something as extreme as the difference between 'has eyes' and 'doesn't have eyes' that means that surely social expectations have a far greater influence on expressed gender differences relating to intellectual aptitude than do any neurobiological differences.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist always wants to say everything is 100% social since she wants social change and anything being nature-based would upset her agenda. She always argues as if we're all saying everything is 100% nature which we're not. Thats why it feels like you're talking past each other, because you are.
I don't really want social change, I'm pretty happy with how society is working right now, (I mean, I'm white, why wouldn't I be happy with society?) I'm not one of those people who thinks we 'need' more female programmers, in the same way that I don't think we 'need' more female trash collectors. And I don't think it's "misogyny" or "patriarchy" that's keeping women out of tech, but I don't think it's biology either. I think society is a lot more subtle than that, and that subtlety comes with it a powerful pervasiveness that few see and even fewer are willing to admit.

It amazes me how readily people accept that they're slaves to their genes yet are so reluctant to admit that they're products of their society, especially given that our genes are immutable and that our society is so readily variable. It reeks of the kind of hopeless, throw your hands up kind of fatalism, as if to say that the problems of our society are not really our fault.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
No, expectations did not grant him this ability, practice did. It isn't exactly a shocking revelation that practicing a skill over and over again, for years, will rewire your brain (this is what neuroplasticity means). I am still not certain what you are getting at.

The reason why I asked if you know any blind people is because many (most?) blind people can do what he does, just not nearly as well. I specifically asked my blind friend about him (who works as an advocate for the blind) and she told me as much. She, and most blind people, use the sound from their tapping cane as a crude form of echo-location. His ability to do it as well as he does is rather special, but it isn't some miracle birthed from abstract thoughts of people. Hell, we all use it to some extent, you could probably tell if a wall was right in front of you or far away with your eyes closed from sound alone.

Furthermore you are drastically exaggerating this case, he can't see, he can "see." His echolocation is a crude and significantly inferior sight compared to what he would possess with working eyes. Now, if he were a bat, with bat parts andmost importantly a bat brain, he would be much better at echolocation. Turns out that even in extremely special cases we are still constrained by our biology. Look, I'm really happy for the guy, what he can do has certainly improved his quality of life, but you are way overreaching here.

Yes, population differences don't matter when speaking about individuals. Luckily enough a grouping like "all engineers" is a population and not an individual, so population level gender differences in occupational preference can lead to population level gender differences in "% of female engineers."

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't really want social change, I'm pretty happy with how society is working right now, (I mean, I'm white, why wouldn't I be happy with society?) I'm not one of those people who thinks we 'need' more female programmers, in the same way that I don't think we 'need' more female trash collectors. And I don't think it's "misogyny" or "patriarchy" that's keeping women out of tech, but I don't think it's biology either. I think society is a lot more subtle than that, and that subtlety comes with it a powerful pervasiveness that few see and even fewer are willing to admit.

It amazes me how readily people accept that they're slaves to their genes yet are so reluctant to admit that they're products of their society, especially given that our genes are immutable and that our society is so readily variable. It reeks of the kind of hopeless, throw your hands up kind of fatalism, as if to say that the problems of our society are not really our fault.
WHO BITCH THIS IS

Jensae

Molten Core Raider
I'm not one of those people who thinks we 'need' more female programmers, in the same way that I don't think we 'need' more female trash collectors. And I don't think it's "misogyny" or "patriarchy" that's keeping women out of tech, but I don't think it's biology either.
Out of curiosity, why DO you think there are far fewer women programmers than men?