Buying a car?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
We use all F150s at work - our oil field guys beat those trucks to shit (well sight guys fly down washboard dirt roads doing like 60 mph) and they seem to stay in pretty good shape. Can't say the same for our laptops we mount inside them.....

Tundra's are a pain in the ass because of that fucking stupidly tiny gas tank.

Edit: I should say the tundra that my Dad had. I'm not sure what size the new 2014s have.

Gas Tank in tundra barely goes 300 miles as compared to 425 in f150.
New Tundra is pretty much same truck but with a dodge looking makeover ;/

Look at the new GMC Sierras if you are in the market for a new truck

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thinking about buying a used 2006 Ford Escape XLT w/V6 + 4WD from a guy from. I've driven my parents 04 Escape here and there and found it to be a pretty decent drive. Does anyone have any experience owning one around the same year? The one I'm looking at is in pretty damn good shape, brand new tires, 92k miles on it. We're talking price probably end up paying like $8,500-9,00 on it.

Any thoughts?
My parents had a 2006 Escape Limited. It was a fine car to drive and if you enjoyed the 2004 then you shouldn't see any noticeable difference.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the size of the gas tank in the Tundra is a huge problem. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking. Like using your 5.7 liter V8, full size truck to tow? Congrats, you get to fill up with gas every 2 hours or 150 miles, whichever comes sooner. Too bad, otherwise it seems like a really nice truck. My dad also had one, but sold it strictly because of the gas tank. He tows a car hauler with it and got fed up. Went with a GMC diesel, gets twice the range (bigger tank, and diesel gets better mileage). We've got a couple 2008 gasoline GM's at my company, and they've been pretty solid. They're not really used as work trucks though, more for PM's to visit job sites etc. They've been reasonably decent maintenance wise. We also had 4 2006-2007 Titans used as actual work trucks. They've been fairly fragile, in my opinion. Nothing too major that I can think of, but lots of smaller things. Death by a thousand cuts.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Weird, google says the tank on a Tundra is 26 gallons. That's what my dodge is, and I get 400+ mi/tank off it, and I very rarely put over 23 gallons in it.

Now, granted, I have the short box, and the long bed is 35+ I think, but that's still pretty reasonable for range on a pickup. Tundras just get ass for mileage or something?

Gonna need to get a new truck in a couple of years. The Ram was fucking solid for 130k miles, and now it's just coming apart at the seams. Dropped almost 5 grand into it in the last 2 months. Can't justify getting rid of it yet as it's only 8 and a half years old, and all of the expensive repairs are done. Hopefully it's just nickel and dime shit from here on out for another 100k.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Look at the new GMC Sierras if you are in the market for a new truck
Would agree with this, if you haven't checked them out yet you should. I work with guys who all have 2012 Sierra's, F150s, Dodge, or Chevys and all have let me test drive them. I found the Sierras (we have 3 at the office) to be the most enjoyable.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Weird, google says the tank on a Tundra is 26 gallons. That's what my dodge is, and I get 400+ mi/tank off it, and I very rarely put over 23 gallons in it.

Now, granted, I have the short box, and the long bed is 35+ I think, but that's still pretty reasonable for range on a pickup. Tundras just get ass for mileage or something?

Gonna need to get a new truck in a couple of years. The Ram was fucking solid for 130k miles, and now it's just coming apart at the seams. Dropped almost 5 grand into it in the last 2 months. Can't justify getting rid of it yet as it's only 8 and a half years old, and all of the expensive repairs are done. Hopefully it's just nickel and dime shit from here on out for another 100k.
I dunno, maybe the fuel gauge was extremely conservative on my dad's, but when I used it to haul a trailer with 3 bikes in it (so maybe 4,000lbs) down to Montana, I couldn't get more than about 280 km or 175 miles out of a tank, and sometimes less if it was really hilly (it would constantly drop down in to 3rd gear going up hills, it just didn't have enough torque). And it never took more than 90 liters or about 23 gallons. I barely made it between Edmonton and Calgary, which is a straight, mostly flat road and about 290 km in length. Meanwhile my friend in a Dodge (don't remember exact model, but it was a diesel) was getting 450+ km per 120L tank while towing 4 bikes, all of which were much heavier than the 3 I was towing. Trailers were pretty similar aerodynamically.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Fucking weird. I don't tow anything in mine, but my Ram gets 17mpg on a 26gallon tank, so i routinely go 400mi between fillups. Of course, I also drive a manual, which has been completely phased out, it looks like. I'd much prefer to have a stick for the snow, but you can't find anyone who's making trucks with them these days. Sad situation.

The only time I ever have torque issues is in 5th, drop it down to 4th and you've got full power again.

Trust me, if you get 280 to 320 miles without pulling anything you are doing good.

2014 GMC Sierra comes out this summer/fall and looks quite nice.
Other things to look at is the cost of replacement parts later in life on GMC/Ford is great compared to other companies.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, maybe the fuel gauge was extremely conservative on my dad's, but when I used it to haul a trailer with 3 bikes in it (so maybe 4,000lbs) down to Montana, I couldn't get more than about 280 km or 175 miles out of a tank, and sometimes less if it was really hilly (it would constantly drop down in to 3rd gear going up hills, it just didn't have enough torque). And it never took more than 90 liters or about 23 gallons. I barely made it between Edmonton and Calgary, which is a straight, mostly flat road and about 290 km in length. Meanwhile my friend in a Dodge (don't remember exact model, but it was a diesel) was getting 450+ km per 120L tank while towing 4 bikes, all of which were much heavier than the 3 I was towing. Trailers were pretty similar aerodynamically.
diesel > gas when it comes to hauling

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah for sure, no disagreement there. Regardless though, it's ridiculous to not have a bigger tank in the Tundra. Everyone I know who has one bitches about it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone want to buy one of these? 2008, silver, ~40k miles (25k put on by me since 2009).

rrr_img_18116.jpg

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Does anyone have any experience with these vehicles:

Chevy Equinox
Ford Escape
Toyota Rav4
Nissan Rogue
Kia Sportage
Nissan Murano

Sort of a mishmash of small to mid size crossover/SUV class but I've sort of narrowed down to a 2011 Chevy Equinox and in one form or another ruled the others out in the process. Do any of you have personal experience, good/bad/ugly of any of them or a similar car? I'd like to get some real life opinions on them before really putting the hammer down and getting it.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
My mom bought a new Kia Sportage last year and it's a nice/roomy vehicle that had plenty of options that I believe had to be added on other similar builds of competing cars. Her new job requires driving in snowy conditions and the anti slide ability on hills was a saver for her and she has been giving nothing but praise. Also, the real dealbreaker for her was the 3rd row seat that can be popped up which kills the trunk space, but seating capacity when you need it was more of a requirement and that's why she didn't go with an Outback.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone have any experience with these vehicles:

Chevy Equinox
Ford Escape
Toyota Rav4
Nissan Rogue
Kia Sportage
Nissan Murano
I do body work so I drive/work on a shit load of random cars so it's not 100% accurate but I'll make a list and I have a huge bias against american cars.

Chevy Equinox -- Hideous looking car and it's a Chevy so I hate it, been in a couple and just hate them.
Ford Escape -- Didn't seem too bad but I haven't seen many with high mileage in the shop so I can't tell you how it will last.
Toyota Rav4 -- By far my best choice, good styling and seen a shitload of them with 130k+ and have no drips or leaks and everything works.
Nissan Rogue -- Only drove a couple of new ones but I like the styling a little but I think Nissan has been kind of shit for the last 5~ years.
Kia Sportage -- No idea what this car is.
Nissan Murano -- I hate the styling and they felt really slow and sluggish.