Buying a car?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Guess I'm about to cave and buy a truck - been out in the oil patch a lot recently, and a truck could get me a lot brownie points with my landmen, pumpers, etc....

Was looking at the new Silverado Texas Edition. Anyone know anything about it? I mostly just like the look of it - never been a truck guy, but if I have to get one I suppose I may as well like how it looks.
Hah! I decided 3-4 days ago to nix the idea of an SUV for the same reason (often go to construction sites so its sort of a showing face type deal).

I think the Texas Edition was only available in 2012 in the HD (2500+) edition and was available for 1500's in the 2013 model year. It does have some minor cosmetic difference as well as nice added standard options like leather interior and stuff like that. They are pretty sweet looking, being from Minnesota I've never heard of that edition.

I'm personally look at a 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab today. Very low miles on it and I'm not the type of person who is a fanboi of Ford, Dodge, or Chevy/GMC - I just want the best deal. Just a quick tidbit for you I believe a lot more oil guys use Ford than Chevy, though I don't have any sources to quote I'm sure you could look it up.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hah! I decided 3-4 days ago to nix the idea of an SUV for the same reason (often go to construction sites so its sort of a showing face type deal).

I think the Texas Edition was only available in 2012 in the HD (2500+) edition and was available for 1500's in the 2013 model year. It does have some minor cosmetic difference as well as nice added standard options like leather interior and stuff like that. They are pretty sweet looking, being from Minnesota I've never heard of that edition.

I'm personally look at a 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab today. Very low miles on it and I'm not the type of person who is a fanboi of Ford, Dodge, or Chevy/GMC - I just want the best deal. Just a quick tidbit for you I believe a lot more oil guys use Ford than Chevy, though I don't have any sources to quote I'm sure you could look it up.
Ya, the want for the Chevy was purely cosmetic. I just liked the look of them - didn't know they don't make the Texas Editions anymore - saw one a few weeks ago and thought it looked clean. I like the Ram aesthetic as well.. Not a fan of the F150's though they are used a lot in the field. Probably going to jet out of work early and visit a few dealerships... thinking if I show up with a duffle bag full of cash I can maybe get into a good deal. We'll see.... been a long time since I've been on a dealer lot.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My quad cab has more than enough room for a family of 4. Back seat is pretty damned big for what it is.

I recommend going 4.7L on the engine though, the Hemi is a huge drain on the wallet. I get 17mpg, the guys I know with Hemis are lucky to get half of that. Figure out what they're offering nowadays for engines, and take a step down. The 4.7 has more than enough power to tow most of the shit you'd need to tow anyway.

I want a truck with a manual transmission, but I fear this one is gonna be the last one I ever drive with one. They're not even a fucking option anymore.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Cutlery you're in MN aren't you? The one I'm looking at has a 4.7L thankfully, good to know. Which trim do you have?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_19826.jpg

Yeah man, south metro.

It's a '04 1500 SLT, so no big horn edition or anything like that. Towing group package (tow hooks, and the skid plates and all that shit) and Sport exterior package (fog lights, same colored front fascia) Standard interior, cloth seats and all that. 4.7L V8, 4x4, quad cab, short box. 26 gallon tank, and I get about 400 miles per tank off it. When it's washed, it still looks brand new, and I've put pretty much no work into it's appearance. There's some surface rust around the bed/tailgate because it's a truck and I beat the hell out of it because that's what you do with it, but other than that, it still looks pretty damned good.

The only thing I would say is lean towards the chrome front bumper rather than the Sport package like I got. Bumped a snowbank with it when it was about -25 the first winter I had it and the air dam fucking shattered into a million pieces.

I love that thing man, it's been pretty fucking good to me. Most of the hassles revolving around it stemmed from incompetent mechanics at the dealership.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Oh no shit. I'm in the south metro myself.

I put an offer in on that truck and of course it had already sold. Off to find another...

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I put in another offer on a 2011 Ram 1500 Quad SLT. Man dealing with car salesmen is the absolute worst thing in the world. I understand they're trying to do their job but it is like anything I tell them I'm looking for goes in one ear and out the other. I work in sales as well (commodity products) and I'd have literally ZERO customers if I tried to do the same shit they did.

Oldbased

> Than U
Young kids and douchebags see the badge and get excited. This goes for pretty much all the german cars. I love the way they drive, don't get me wrong. The money is ludicrous and I hate how they are set up though (ergonomics and things like that).

As far as reliability goes, I would stay as far as possible from Big 3 small cars. They have always been horrible shitboxes. They don't know how to build a proper small car. Most of that is because they don't make the big profits on them like they do their trucks/suvs. They do however, build a damn good truck.

Stick with a Civic or a Corolla for your small cars. Reliable as shit and they are still worth money 10 years and 150k miles later.

The Korean cars are definitely worlds better than they were 10 years ago, but I just don't trust them yet. Part of that is because they have been caught lying several times in regards to horsepower and fuel economy claims.
My work vehicle I drive daily home is a 1996 GMC Safari Passenger Van on a truck chassis with the seats out.. I have around 1500 lbs of tools in it and it drives around like it is empty, have hauled trailers behind it LOADED with lumber and drywall and couldn't tell I was even pulling.
It has 261,000 miles on it now. Damn thing is a hoss.

Damn insane van on a truck frame, they really got those right.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just left a local GM dealership - they have access to 1 2013 Silverado ext cab Texas Edition (its at their Tulsa dealership though). Going to bring it to OKC this week so I can inspect it/test drive it. They are asking $37k, but I'm planning on writing a check for $30-32k and calling it a day if they decline. I figure once they've taken the time to get it down here, they'll be inclined to sell it.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I put in another offer on a 2011 Ram 1500 Quad SLT. Man dealing with car salesmen is the absolute worst thing in the world. I understand they're trying to do their job but it is like anything I tell them I'm looking for goes in one ear and out the other. I work in sales as well (commodity products) and I'd have literally ZERO customers if I tried to do the same shit they did.
I dunno where you're buying from, but stay away from Walser. Not even sure if they still have that Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership down off Lyndale, but they are colossal cocks.

I originally tried to buy a truck from them that they were going to have to bring up from Florida or some nonsense, and they asked me for a deposit, to show that I really wanted it. Okay, no problem. Wrote them out a check for $1000, and then I told em "I'll pick it up when I'm done with work for the week, so you've got a few days." I roll in there 5 days later and go "Hey, where's my truck?" "uhh, we couldn't get it." You couldn't get it? You've had 5 fucking days to get it, and couldn't even give me a fucking call to tell me you couldn't get it, and on top of that have the balls to ask me for a deposit to show you that I was making a good faith effort to buy this vehicle from you? Fuck you, go get my check.

I thought the dude was gonna cry. Everyone I know of that's dealt with a Walser dealership has been fucked too. I bought mine from Trail, which is no longer there, but that guy was pretty decent. He got me 99% of what I wanted, considering my apparently ridiculous demands of wanting a manual transmission.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Just picked up a Highlander Limited 4wd for when I take the family up to the mountains or other long trips and a Camry Hybrid to off-set the gas guzzling nature of the Highlander, 24mpg hwy my ass. Best I've gotten is 20 in perfect driving conditions. Combined lease payment of $780 with $5000 total into both cars. Think I got a pretty good deal.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I dunno where you're buying from, but stay away from Walser. Not even sure if they still have that Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership down off Lyndale, but they are colossal cocks.

I originally tried to buy a truck from them that they were going to have to bring up from Florida or some nonsense, and they asked me for a deposit, to show that I really wanted it. Okay, no problem. Wrote them out a check for $1000, and then I told em "I'll pick it up when I'm done with work for the week, so you've got a few days." I roll in there 5 days later and go "Hey, where's my truck?" "uhh, we couldn't get it." You couldn't get it? You've had 5 fucking days to get it, and couldn't even give me a fucking call to tell me you couldn't get it, and on top of that have the balls to ask me for a deposit to show you that I was making a good faith effort to buy this vehicle from you? Fuck you, go get my check.

I thought the dude was gonna cry. Everyone I know of that's dealt with a Walser dealership has been fucked too. I bought mine from Trail, which is no longer there, but that guy was pretty decent. He got me 99% of what I wanted, considering my apparently ridiculous demands of wanting a manual transmission.
I'm dealing with another idiot down in Mankato on another Ram. They have the listening skills of a potato. I've told him 2-3 times now I'd come down and look at the vehicle if they would guarantee to accept my offer. First thing he says is, "Well come test drive it, make sure you really." Look idiot. I'm not taking a 3 hour trip just to do a test drive without the promise of the price I want. Then he says, "Well we need to appraise your vehicle." JFC I know you'll need to appraise my vehicle - I will come test drive and do all that song and dance if you promise me my asking price. It is a simple Yes or fucking No question and they pussy foot around and try to use these bullshit sales tactics that don't work on me anymore.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you want reliable the key is to get a base model. It seems like the more bells and whistles a car has the more problems - obviously there is more that can go wrong.

Unfortunately if you are a commuter a lot of time those extra options are worth it for the sake of comfort.

Personally: I've come full circle on the big 3.used to be a huge Toyota and Honda fan, but since about 2005 I've noticed they have been getting crappier and crappier. Went to Hyundai for awhile... still like them but a pain in the ass to do maintenance on.. now I'm back to chevys- I love the cruze model. Also really like ford and would probably give them a shot next(in like 5 years when I buy my next car).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is basically no quality distinctions between the Foreign auto makers and the big three like there was in the 90s and early 2000s. The big three definitely got their shit together since then and are producing top notch shit.

But I would still not buy a Chrysler. :p

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The way I look at it the Big 3 really got their shit together during the bailouts and economic crisis. I'm OK with anything, I typically research each individual vehicle year I'm looking at as I know it changes year to year for each and every company. My girlfriend's dad just bought a Cruze too and it is a very nice vehicle. God I wish I could find the right truck for me.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Just left a local GM dealership - they have access to 1 2013 Silverado ext cab Texas Edition (its at their Tulsa dealership though). Going to bring it to OKC this week so I can inspect it/test drive it. They are asking $37k, but I'm planning on writing a check for $30-32k and calling it a day if they decline. I figure once they've taken the time to get it down here, they'll be inclined to sell it.
Spring, I am really late to this thread. What dealership in Tulsa?

We own a few down there, I believe one of which is South Pointe Chevy. Let me know, I can see what kind of price I can get you. I will just claim you are a friend of mine, and need our employee pricing. Keep in mind this is a non-negotiable price, so if it is too much, or you got a better deal someplace else, take the better deal. Should be a pretty good price though regardless. PM me the make/model/trim.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm dealing with another idiot down in Mankato on another Ram. They have the listening skills of a potato. I've told him 2-3 times now I'd come down and look at the vehicle if they would guarantee to accept my offer. First thing he says is, "Well come test drive it, make sure you really." Look idiot. I'm not taking a 3 hour trip just to do a test drive without the promise of the price I want. Then he says, "Well we need to appraise your vehicle." JFC I know you'll need to appraise my vehicle - I will come test drive and do all that song and dance if you promise me my asking price. It is a simple Yes or fucking No question and they pussy foot around and try to use these bullshit sales tactics that don't work on me anymore.
It's everywhere man. I have a friend that works at a car dealership and when I was looking at cars he was unrelenting with me. I told him I didn't have time to go dealer-hopping and basically said "I can pay this, and this is what I am looking for." He kept telling me to come test drive these cars and he would work something out. Continually I asked him "Can you do anything for this price?" and instead of answering, he just said "Come down here." No thanks bud, I warned you. Doesn't matter if they are your friend, some local place, or a place 3 hours away.. all the same song and dance from them.

Still don't regret my Honda, although the hands free link software seems pretty buggy.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Spring, I am really late to this thread. What dealership in Tulsa?

We own a few down there, I believe one of which is South Pointe Chevy. Let me know, I can see what kind of price I can get you. I will just claim you are a friend of mine, and need our employee pricing. Keep in mind this is a non-negotiable price, so if it is too much, or you got a better deal someplace else, take the better deal. Should be a pretty good price though regardless. PM me the make/model/trim.
Damn, and I'm late in responding. Picked it up this afternoon from David Stanley down in Norman. Think I got a decent deal (MSRP $37k, paid $32k all in). Nice truck, not used to driving something so big though! Will post pics when I'm back in town. Wish I would have checked this thread.....