Buying a car?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I've been pricing used 2010-2011's lately and they are dropping in price. Look around for one with the Sport Differential option as well if you're shopping used.
Yeah, I'm looking at 2011-2012s as well. However determining whether or not it has the Sports diff is the hard part over the Internet. Do you have an easier method than what other people are saying requires an in person visit to look under the rear/check out the dynamic drive options in the MMI?

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not really nope, asking the seller is hit/miss too it seems . "Does it have the sport diff option?" "Uhh I think so?" .

Better off just checking yourself if its not listed in the add. If it isn't listed, I've just started assuming it doesn't have it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
rofl. dude lives in north texas / dallas. driving around here is like driving through 2-3 states in other places.
bro I wasn't even paying attention to that.

stalker.

isn't Texas one of those states that is trying to ban sales of Tesla because the sell directly to consumers and bypass dealerships?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yes.

Not to mention, the Teslas that actually have the better batteries are going to be well out of his 50k price-range.

Dis

Confirmed Male
bro I wasn't even paying attention to that.

stalker.

isn't Texas one of those states that is trying to ban sales of Tesla because the sell directly to consumers and bypass dealerships?
They are not banning sales of Tesla, they are trying to ban DIRECT BRICK AND MORTAR company stores selling Teslas. EG Tesla store, owned by Tesla, selling Teslas.

You can still go to Tesla website or another Tesla direct sale brick and mortar site, buy one and register it in Texas.

And apparently they do have stores here in Texas, which confuses the issue even more for me:

http://www.teslamotors.com/houstongalleria

And then there is this, so I have no fucking clue what is going on:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...ships-for-now/

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Decided to pull the trigger on the Hyundai Sante Fe. Just couldn't resist it's price for the features you get. Solid MPG for a mid-sized SUV (22/29). Will be a good "mom" car for my wife. Plenty of room in the back for a car seat, and tons of storage space for strollers and crap. Definitely has some cool online features. Can download Hyundais app to your phone for remote lock/unlock, lights/alarm, and remote start. Can do it from any PC or your phone w/app. Has some cool abilities like a "curfew" where you can set it so that the car can't be started on certain dates or after certain times(if you have teens in the house), or set it to get alerts if the car is driven over a certain speed. Nice features if you need to keep track of a teen or anyone else that has access to your car. You also get a monthly car status update through their website, updates your mileage, gives you various diagnostics, alerts you to upcoming scheduled maintainence, or if there are any recalls/service issues to know about. Really enjoying the website/app integration so far.

rrr_img_28639.jpg

All that, and the vehicle was only 24 grand, cheaper than most small SUVs with similar features/upgrades.

It's kinda funny how bad Hyundai ripped off the style of the Lexus RX350, we were parked next to a white one yesterday at one point, and I tried to walk up to the Lexus and get in it. Very similar styling, same headlights, tail lights, general window shape, hubcaps, etc.

6ab34ac05d78452e90710a42b7f3ed34!20130507194358000.jpg

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So I test drove a Scion FR-S yesterday since a local dealer got a used one in.

That thing was fun ... and I felt like I was in a matchbox car. I don't think I can do little cars like that.

I felt like everyone was looking down on me and not noticing me. I think that's why they make them fast so you don't get run over.

Back to the drawing board.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just bought a new truck a few months back, but going to switch the title of it over to my company and use it strictly for field work. Turns out, I'm not a "truck guy" and don't really love driving the thing (though its awfully nice). Going to buy another vehicle for personal use this month - debating a new Murano/Pathfinder/CX9/4runner etc. Really like the Audi Q5's, but can't see myself spending that much. Kind of a cheapskate. Any experiences with any of those? Plus/minuses? I like the look of the Murano more than the others, but its a lot smaller than I had thought. Looking to spend $30kish...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Any experiences with any of those? Plus/minuses? I like the look of the Murano more than the others, but its a lot smaller than I had thought. Looking to spend $30kish...
We test drove a Murano and a CX-9, and I really liked the Murano. Out of all the vehicles we test drove (Murano, Rogue, CX9, CX5, Escape, Edge, Santa Fe, and others) we probably liked the Murano the best out of all of them. It just felt the nicest to drive, most comfortable, and great features. Unfortunately, a decked out Murano was like 10 grand more than our 2nd favorite Hyundai Santa Fe. Had money been no object I would have gone with the Murano out of all of those, but we didn't like it so much more that it was worth paying ~35K compared to the Sante Fe's ~25K price. We were happy to take our 2nd favorite for 1/3 less on the price. Had it only been a couple thousand difference we would have ponied up for the Murano, but the price difference was just too significant to justify it for something that just felt a little nicer, there really wasn't anything glaringly better. In fact, the Sante Fe had a much better warranty and gas mileage. Money-wise, it just made more sense.

A decked out 2013 AWD Murano is going to be like 35-40 grand MSRP, the same in a Santa Fe is like 27-30K MSRP. You have to get a pretty stripped down Murano to keep it under 30K, you can get a loaded Sante Fe for still well under 30K.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I felt like everyone was looking down on me and not noticing me. I think that's why they make them fast so you don't get run over.
Honestly, that's one of my reasons for only considering SUVs or trucks. Here in the wide-open midwest, EVERYONE drives a bigass pickup or bigass SUV. You almost never see little smart cars, or priuses or fiats or minis, those types of cars. If you got into a high-speed accident, you're about 1000% more likely to be hitting a giant F250 than you are a little prius or civic. Vehicle size is definitely a factor when safety is concerned. Missouri typically has some of the cheapest gas in the country, so people still buy giant gas-guzzlers without blinking an eye. You'll easily see 10 GMC Yukon Denalis or Cadillac Escalades for every prius you see.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Honestly, that's one of my reasons for only considering SUVs or trucks. Here in the wide-open midwest, EVERYONE drives a bigass pickup or bigass SUV. You almost never see little smart cars, or priuses or fiats or minis, those types of cars. If you got into a high-speed accident, you're about 1000% more likely to be hitting a giant F250 than you are a little prius or civic. Vehicle size is definitely a factor when safety is concerned. Missouri typically has some of the cheapest gas in the country, so people still buy giant gas-guzzlers without blinking an eye. You'll easily see 10 GMC Yukon Denalis or Cadillac Escalades for every prius you see.
I miss missouri gas prices. Like $3.40 in KC area now, gas is like $4.35 in Indy right now for some stupid reason.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I miss missouri gas prices. Like $3.40 in KC area now, gas is like $4.35 in Indy right now for some stupid reason.
Multiple regional refinery shutdowns or partial shutdowns. Two are in seasonal turn arounds that ran long and a 3rd is having an emergency repair shutdown.

I can't imagine the money they are throwing at it now....which is how I make a living, but we only service those along the gulf coast.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, Missouri went through its supplier refinery shut downs about a month ago, gas got up near $4 a gallon for a couple weeks, now it's back down a little closer to normal. We've been hovering around $3-3.50 for the better part of a few years. Hell, within the last 12 months I even bought gas a few times at like $2.95.

It sucks when you get gas for $3 a gallon and you think you're getting a steal, but it is what it is nowadays. I miss my 89 cent gas when I was 16 in the early 90s.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, when I drive my girlfriend's 4 Runner, I feel like I'm in a damn tank compared to my tiny Z. That said, I don't mind being close to the ground, since I can easily be ahead of all those SUVs and trucks! I'm 6' tall so it is kind of bitch getting in and out of.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Went and drove the Murano/Pathfinder/Jeep Grand Cherokee. Murano best appointed of the three, but I (surprisingly) liked the Grand Cherokee the best. Are Jeeps still as dogshit as they used to be? The salesman tried to sell me on it, but I remember growing up hearing nothing but bad shit about them. If they are still the same way, I'll probably go with the Murano.

Also drove Q5 for grins. Sharp little SUV, but overpriced. I don't know how people spend $50k on a single vehicle, but maybe I'm a cheap bastard.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yes, Jeeps are still dogshit for reliability.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...r-jeep-recall/

I really have no car biases or loyalties other than staying away from all Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products. They have a pretty bad history of reliability issues, and I'm not 100% sure that they've been fixed in the last couple years. Only time will tell for sure.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Yes, Jeeps are still dogshit for reliability.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...r-jeep-recall/

I really have no car biases or loyalties other than staying away from all Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products. They have a pretty bad history of reliability issues, and I'm not 100% sure that they've been fixed in the last couple years. Only time will tell for sure.
There's basically nothing in that recall that has anything at all to do with reliability. Unless you're claiming that other cars are somehow more reliable when struck from the rear, which is not the commonly accepted definition of reliability.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I guess it technically isnt a reliability issue, more of just a general quality issue. Also not good is the fact that the government wants them to recall 3 million vehicles and they are refusing to do it. Speaks to the quality of the manufacturing and the company behind it as a whole.