Buying a car?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I guess it technically isnt a reliability issue, more of just a general quality issue. Also not good is the fact that the government wants them to recall 3 million vehicles and they are refusing to do it. Speaks to the quality of the manufacturing and the company behind it as a whole.
It's been said before, but if it was costing the company more money than the recall would cost, they would have recalled it. It therefore is not a serious enough safety or quality issue to recall it.

When in doubt with everything in life, follow the money and it tells the story.

3 million vehicles huh?

"The recall is estimated to cost them $300 million,
Why would the fix for a gas tank being between the axle and the bumper be only $100? There's something that doesn't make sense in that article.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Maybe they figure a large % of people never bring their vehicles back in for a recall fix? I don't have a clue what recall fallow-through looks like on something like that. Especially since most of the vehicles effected are in the 5-10 year old range, a lot might not be original owners or dealing with original dealerships to be officially notified of it.

Siliconemelons

As I said before, that recall or whatever is during the 3rd gen of Grand Cherokee's and they are shit, look like shit, drive like shit, offroad like shit and are shit- they did a 180 with the 4th and refaced 4th (current) generations- thanks a lot to Fiat taking the upper management by the balls.

I would take any Dodge/Jeep etc that is a current generation that was made under the Fiat control structure - the New Dart, Durango, Grand Cherokee etc etc- the generation right before that is turrble, even the Wrangelers where shit

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Went and drove the Murano/Pathfinder/Jeep Grand Cherokee. Murano best appointed of the three, but I (surprisingly) liked the Grand Cherokee the best. Are Jeeps still as dogshit as they used to be? The salesman tried to sell me on it, but I remember growing up hearing nothing but bad shit about them. If they are still the same way, I'll probably go with the Murano.
Buying a Jeep/Dodge is like paying someone to fart into your mouth, avoid it at all costs. We had a Jeep Cherokee come in like 2~ months ago with maybe 40k miles on it and the tranny leaked so bad we had to replace the fluid daily and that's not a freak occurrence either. Plus, they drive like absolute shit too.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've had both a Cherokee and a Patriot in the last few months as rentals and they've been enough to convince me I'll never own one.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
One new car done, one to go. Picked up a new Civic si a couple of days ago. Big shoutout to Honda of Concord and Ted Johnson here in NC for being awesome.

I searched all dealer inventories in the state, found the most common color in inventory, black. I looked up its invoice price and what people have been paying for one. Once I figured out my price, I sent the offer to probably ten different dealerships in this state, and even a couple in SC and VA. Ted at Honda of Concord was the first one to respond and not fuck with me. Gave me the price I wanted straight up, and that was that, no 'let me go talk to my pricing manager' games. He got my business from 2 hours away, despite there being at least a half dozen black civics closer.

None of the scummy dealerships close to me wanted to play ball. Acting like I'm dumb when I know more about the car they are selling me than they do. Attempting to tack on bullshit like pinstripes and $700 protection packages.

The other dealers are still blowing up my phone and email, lol.

Couple of bad smartphone pics taken yesterday-

rrr_img_30452.jpg
rrr_img_30453.jpg

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nice. I used the carwoo.com website that does pretty much the same thing as you described. Select your options and it emails all the dealers within your radius and lets them make offers. Cool thing about it was that since it's done all through the carwoo website that the dealers never get your personal contact info until you give it to them. I got back like 7-8 offers in the color / options I wanted. I just picked the lowest price and went to sign the papers.

If you are an informed car buyer I've found that if you can work with the internet / fleet sales guy it's a much better experience - they don't dick around because they want to move volume.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yup, that's also how I got my Z. I used the American Express car buying program, which is the same thing. Car dealerships hate that shit. I was in and out in literally 30 minutes with my Z(I went in with a check already cut from my credit union).

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The only acceptable German SUV is the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Your payment may be a bit over 1,200, but you'll know you made the right choice. Your kids don'treallyhave to eat, do they?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
$1200 a month for a car is only justifiable if you spend more time in your car than you spend in your home.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just flat out don't understand why anyone would look at car ownership on a monthly financed basis. If you're financing your car and have to actually be concerned about how much the payment is, you should probably be making better financial decisions. Hell, isn't that thing worth half as much as a decent bungalow in most American suburbs?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just flat out don't understand why anyone would look at car ownership on a monthly financed basis. If you're financing your car and have to actually be concerned about how much the payment is, you should probably be making better financial decisions. Hell, isn't that thing worth half as much as a decent bungalow in most American suburbs?
I have 0 debt right now. Zero. We are in the market for a 7 seat SUV and this one is beyond the budget I want to spend per month. It's a sound financial decision to care about the monthly cost. The only debt I usually incur are houses and cars. I sold my house recently and own my car and motorcycle outright.

The point of looking at this model is that we have lived debt free for quite a while. We save well and we also enjoy our money well so while we have a decent emergency fund available we don't have a 60k fund sitting around for a frivolous car. We can get by just fine with a 35k Pathfinder and probably love it. Doesn't mean we can't drool over and actually look into something like the Mercedes though
biggrin.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I wasn't really criticizing you in particular, please don't take it that way. I just don't get why anyone would look at the monthly finance cost of a vehicle, as opposed to the sticker price. Same way that I wouldn't think about the monthly payment on a couch, house or whatever else. It just strikes me as odd, is all.

I have 0 debt right now. Zero. We are in the market for a 7 seat SUV and this one is beyond the budget I want to spend per month. It's a sound financial decision to care about the monthly cost. The only debt I usually incur are houses and cars. I sold my house recently and own my car and motorcycle outright.

The point of looking at this model is that we have lived debt free for quite a while. We save well and we also enjoy our money well so while we have a decent emergency fund available we don't have a 60k fund sitting around for a frivolous car. We can get by just fine with a 35k Pathfinder and probably love it. Doesn't mean we can't drool over and actually look into something like the Mercedes though
biggrin.png
I would go with the Honda Pilot over Pathfinder, they have really good deals on them

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Friend of mine had a 5 year old Cayenne and that thing was a piece of utter shit. Just bought a new one and apparently they've done a massive amount of work getting them up to the standard of the ML's, X5/6, etc. Much better ride now. His old one was like riding in a fucking Ford F-150.

Think I've locked down on a new Murano. Was almost (ALMOST) tempted into buying an Audi Q7, but simply can't justify it in my head. Even $30k cash feels like a lot, but what are you going to do. Can't take driving the truck anymore as a daily commuter vehicle.

Siliconemelons

I would go with the Honda Pilot over Pathfinder, they have really good deals on them
the pilot is a joke of a 3rd row SUV, has no room with 3rd row up in the back or room in the 3rd row.. Drives as blocky as it looks..and is uncomfortable for me with my long legs etc.

the Honda sales guy knew we have just looked at the traverse and is like 'the Honda is a full sized suv!' it made us chuckle as we looked in the back at the won't hold a stroller with the 3rd row up...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Friend of mine had a 5 year old Cayenne and that thing was a piece of utter shit. Just bought a new one and apparently they've done a massive amount of work getting them up to the standard of the ML's, X5/6, etc. Much better ride now. His old one was like riding in a fucking Ford F-150.

Think I've locked down on a new Murano. Was almost (ALMOST) tempted into buying an Audi Q7, but simply can't justify it in my head. Even $30k cash feels like a lot, but what are you going to do. Can't take driving the truck anymore as a daily commuter vehicle.
You should at least go look at a new 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport before you pull the trigger on the Murano. The Hyundai is probably 5 grand less for a similar equipment package, has a better warranty (5 year 60K mile bumper-to-bumper) and gets better gas mileage (21city/29highway) In fact, in the 10 days or so my wife has had the Santa Fe, just driving around town(she's off work on maternity leave, so no highway commuting) she's getting about 23mpg city, the EPA estimate may be a tad low. After test driving both, the Murano had a *slight* lead, but the price, mpg, and warranty was just too much to pass up on the Santa Fe Sport, as close as we considered the two vehicles to be when driving them.

If you do a lot of highway commuting, that 15-20% better highway MPG will be huge over the life of the vehicle.