Buying a car?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like she needs to get a 3k shitpile she can drive for 2 years and sell for 2500 when she's in a better place.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yup, that's kind of where things are at I think. The used car market is wicked over priced, because everyone stopped buying cars in 2008-2010. Which is right smack dab in the model years that would make most sense for her.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Her budget is 8-10k, so she's got to go for used 2007-2010's, more or less. It's a shitty price point I'm finding. A bit more and she could buy something near new with warranty. A bit less and it's just a beater that you don't give a shit about.
Sorry i missed the budget. Yeah, that really is a tough price point for anything decent. I tried spending under 10k a few years ago and just got frustrated and ended up in the 15k range. What does her budget look like in a few years? I think if i were in that situation i would look for something in the 4-5k range that will work for 2-3 years and then get something decent.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Her budget is 8-10k, so she's got to go for used 2007-2010's, more or less. It's a shitty price point I'm finding. A bit more and she could buy something near new with warranty. A bit less and it's just a beater that you don't give a shit about.
So why not get a beater? Civic will last forever, if properly maintained. Put away the 5-7k, spend 3k, run that shit into the ground.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
So why not get a beater? Civic will last forever, if properly maintained. Put away the 5-7k, spend 3k, run that shit into the ground.
For reals, early 2000 Civics can't be much more than 5grand nowadays for a pristine one, get one with 100k miles or so and change the oil and keep the fluids topped off and you should be able to get up to 200k easy before expensive things break.

Dodge Calibers are garbage, I've drove a couple back when we had our Enterprise account and they just feel cheap, plastic and no horsepower, plus it's a Dodge so it leaks oil the second it drives off the lot.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, like I said, I'm leaning towards recommending her to just get a beater. But honestly, even beaters here are ridiculous. Autotrader.ca is the mainwebsite for used cars up here, and doing a search for 2005-2007 Civics with automatics only returns 14 cars. The cheapest is a 2006 with 60,000 miles at $7,500, and the ad even mentions "a few minor aesthetic flaws" which means it probably has a Tuco-bumper. Most are 9k and up, even with 100,000+ miles. And I don't think it's wise for her to get anything that's much older than a 2005, that's getting pretty old.

See for yourself:http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/pv/Used/...7&st=1&rcp=100

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Used cars sell for way more than they used to. A mid 90s honda can be sold for 2-3k easily. If you are looking to buy something around 4-5K you are going to have to drop back around early 2000s but that shouldn't really be an issue with a civic/accord. It's going to almost impossible to find one with less than 100,000 miles also, but again not a huge deal. I drove my '95 accord to 256k miles and only had to change the timing chain, starter, and cv jionts a couple times (other than normal wear items).

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah my wife's 2003 Corolla with 120k miles, a broken windshield, and no A/C got 3k from the dealer so you know they are going to turn around and try and sell it for $7500

jeydax

Death and Taxes
My girlfriend is looking at Chevy Sonics right now (2013+), does anyone have any experience with these or have a recommendation? I'm reading most places say the Ford Fiesta beats it. Anyone got real world experience with them? She just needs a vehicle to go from point A to point B and get decent gas and wants something new.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
My girlfriend is looking at Chevy Sonics right now (2013+), does anyone have any experience with these or have a recommendation? I'm reading most places say the Ford Fiesta beats it. Anyone got real world experience with them? She just needs a vehicle to go from point A to point B and get decent gas and wants something new.
A) What the fuck is a Chevy Sonic?

B)Tell her to buy Asian(Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai), American cars are pieces of shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
A) What the fuck is a Chevy Sonic?

B)Tell her to buy Asian(Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai), American cars are pieces of shit.
The 90's called, they want their witty comment about American cars back.

Just shows you how fucking uninformed you are. Asian cars are bland uninspired and all look the same.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
The 90's called, they want their witty comment about American cars back.

Just shows you how fucking uninformed you are. Asian cars are bland uninspired and all look the same.
I'm pretty sure Asian cars don't leak oil directly off the lot, I work in the car industry too and they aren't as bad but they are far from good.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What the heck is a Chevy Sonic?

You want the best gas mileage so you go out a buy a japanese hybrid car.
Should they look to shitty take a peek at the new Citroen DS 5 which is a Diesel Hybrid and has (to me) a better look.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What the heck is a Chevy Sonic?

You want the best gas mileage so you go out a buy a japanese hybrid car.
Should they look to shitty take a peek at the new Citroen DS 5 which is a Diesel Hybrid and has (to me) a better look.
I don't think any of those options have a new MSRP of $15K like the Sonic does. I'm willing to bet that is the primary factor here. Sure, there are a LOT of cars out there that would be preferable to a Chevy Sonic, but how many of them are 15K or less brand new? Not many(if any)

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Around 8 years ago I bought a used 80k mile 97 civic. I've had to pay under $100 average per year in maintenance. The thing won't die despite my abuse... and still gets near 30mpg city.

If you are getting a reliable economic car... get a reliable economic car. Spending 15k on a car when you have to work 3 jobs to pay for it doesn't sound like a great idea.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Saw one of these at Whole Foods this morning - really sharp looking car. Trying to convince gf to get it so I can play around in it. Don't know squat about Infiniti, but I'm sure they're good little cars.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, they're basically a fairly decent step behind Lexus and the Germans. I think they tend to have better styling than Lexus, though.