Buying a car?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Anyone have any experience with the newer model Ford explorers?
Should be getting my 2014 Explorer in 10 days give or take. They said they shipped it and that it would be here by the 30th and it looks like they give themselves every last day.

Doing a test drive was nice but I didn't get to test one with Sync will let you know when ours comes.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah, they're basically a fairly decent step behind Lexus and the Germans. I think they tend to have better styling than Lexus, though.
I like the G37's but not so much that I'd prefer one over a BMW/Audi, and I agree with you on the Lexus styling, though the new IS350 is pretty damn hawt looking imho. Lexus always struck me as an old man car.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
They(Infiniti) still have shit Nissan paintjobs and that keeps them way below a BMW/Merc for me. Lexus styling is pretty much the worst out of any "luxury" line, in my opinion, unless you're a 76 year old Jewish woman. They are pretty dope then, I imagine.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
They(Infiniti) still have shit Nissan paintjobs and that keeps them way below a BMW/Merc for me. Lexus styling is pretty much the worst out of any "luxury" line, in my opinion, unless you're a 76 year old Jewish woman. They are pretty dope then, I imagine.
I drive a 2005 infinity FX35 that i have owned for 5 years. I love it. Good brand (nissan), no problems, Its not great "value" but i love the look and the drive. I will agree and i never thought about it much, but the paint job is my only complaint (i get easy scratches on the paint when the wife parks too close in the garage) They can be expensive to fix but nothing compaird to a BMW (4k for a side mirror repair? fuck off)

Our other car is a 2006 Civic for the wife longer commute. This car is the best value on a vehicle i have ever owned. Holds its value, cheap to run, looks reasonable, safe, reliable. If your on a budget and need solid transportation with no frills, you can not go wrong with a civic. We have the manual speed and its still damn fun to drive around.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Around 8 years ago I bought a used 80k mile 97 civic. I've had to pay under $100 average per year in maintenance. The thing won't die despite my abuse... and still gets near 30mpg city.

If you are getting a reliable economic car... get a reliable economic car. Spending 15k on a car when you have to work 3 jobs to pay for it doesn't sound like a great idea.
I had a 1994 Accord. I was a dickhead. Didn't change or add oil for 6 years. Car kept going. One day I bought a new car, on the way to pick it up the Accord just died in the middle of an intersection. Engine Seized and the transmission gears ate up eachother inside the tranny. Mechanic said he'd never seen anything like it.. I didn't admit to my failures. I felt bad, it was like the car knew what I had done and was trying to stop me from cheating on it.

Now I change my oil at recommended intervals
frown.png

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
My 95 accord was fucking bomb proof. The 5 speed was fun enough to drive and I only had to replace the CV joints and a starter. Wish I hadn't sold it, it was still getting 35~ mpg 16 years after it was built.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I drive a 2005 infinity FX35 that i have owned for 5 years. I love it. Good brand (nissan), no problems, Its not great "value" but i love the look and the drive. I will agree and i never thought about it much, but the paint job is my only complaint (i get easy scratches on the paint when the wife parks too close in the garage) They can be expensive to fix but nothing compaird to a BMW (4k for a side mirror repair? fuck off)
You either got ripped off real hard or it wasn't a side mirror repair and a whole side repair instead. Most I've ever seen for a mirror is around 500~ + labor on some of the 5 series.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I don't think any of those options have a new MSRP of $15K like the Sonic does. I'm willing to bet that is the primary factor here. Sure, there are a LOT of cars out there that would be preferable to a Chevy Sonic, but how many of them are 15K or less brand new? Not many(if any)
I expecting at least 3-4 moronic answers when I posted, definitely wasn't disappointed when I saw the first couple replies. Yes, price is definitely a factor. The Sonic is a low-level subcompact car that is affordable. Ford Fiesta's are similarly priced and get great reviews. I was hoping at least one or two peeps had driven them (I drove one for about 300-400 miles on a road trip and didn't really have complaints) or has someone they know that owns them.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I expecting at least 3-4 moronic answers when I posted, definitely wasn't disappointed when I saw the first couple replies. Yes, price is definitely a factor. The Sonic is a low-level subcompact car that is affordable. Ford Fiesta's are similarly priced and get great reviews. I was hoping at least one or two peeps had driven them (I drove one for about 300-400 miles on a road trip and didn't really have complaints) or has someone they know that owns them.
And there's nothing wrong with that at all. Not all of us enjoy wasting our money on ridiculously expensive repairs and bad gas mileage just so we can claim to own a BMW. A lot of people in this country waste a LOT of money on cars, I've just never seen the appeal of that. I see a car as a functional piece of equipment that is necessary to get from point A to point B, nothing more, nothing less. A lot of people see them as a fashion accessory, I don't. As long as my vehicle isn't a total rust bucket that looks like it's going to fall apart, I'm good.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Right. She's a woman who cares about looksto an extent,obviously, so there's that. But to put things in perspective she currently drives a Dodge Neon that has 150k miles on it and she has had 0 major repairs needed on it. According to Fifey and Co, the thing should have exploded 149k miles ago. She hardly drives with anyone else in the car but obviously doesn't want to be cramped in a smart car or anything like that. Any time we go anywhere or we have people with us we always take my truck becuase it has way more room.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Right. She's a woman who cares about looksto an extent,obviously, so there's that. But to put things in perspective she currently drives a Dodge Neon that has 150k miles on it and she has had 0 major repairs needed on it. According to Fifey and Co, the thing should have exploded 149k miles ago. She hardly drives with anyone else in the car but obviously doesn't want to be cramped in a smart car or anything like that. Any time we go anywhere or we have people with us we always take my truck becuase it has way more room.
Sometimes Jimmies are looking a but rustled. Sure American cars can go over 100k but they really start driving like shit and if it's a neon I can almost guarantee that the paint on the roof and good are starting to peel up because dodge has some of the worst paint peeling problems out of the big three. I think American trucks are fantastic but their cars are just always garbage and their bankruptcies have proved im not alone on that.

I drove a kia soul a while ago that I was actually impressed by the power/handling for a sub 20grand car but do what you're gonna do.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
You either got ripped off real hard or it wasn't a side mirror repair and a whole side repair instead. Most I've ever seen for a mirror is around 500~ + labor on some of the 5 series.
It was my fathers car, it was a quote from the dealer ($$) and it actually prompted him to sell the X5 and never buy BMW again heh. The mirror was fine, it was the motor that moved it that needed to be replaced. I dont think ended up getting it fixed, just traded it in for different vehicle from another dealer.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
It was my fathers car, it was a quote from the dealer ($$) and it actually prompted him to sell the X5 and never buy BMW again heh. The mirror was fine, it was the motor that moved it that needed to be replaced. I dont think ended up getting it fixed, just traded it in for different vehicle from another dealer.
Then your father got/was quoted to be ripped off. My dad has a 2012 750Li that someone straight up just stole the entire side mirror. Insurance paid for it but the bill, including housing, wiring, motor, glass etc, was like $800. The mirror on a 7 is more expensive than an X5 as well. I also had the motor replaced on my 3 when it would randomly be pointing straight down every time I started the car. It was under warranty so I didn't pay but the bill was $270 or something.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Domestic cars were complete shit compared to the competition in almost every segment for a long time. This just isn't true anymore. The last few generations have been pretty damn good all around.

Take Cadillac for example, the newer CTS and ATS don't give up a thing to the Germans. The Ford Focus and Fusion are segment leaders as well. The reality is, you really can't buy a truly bad car anymore. Most everything is the past 5 years or so is just good.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Other than Dodges. And I'd say that Hyundais and Kias much older then 2010-2011 model years aren't great cars, both in terms of features and styling. Reliability maybe they're equivalent, it's so hard to know.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Domestic cars were complete shit compared to the competition in almost every segment for a long time. This just isn't true anymore. The last few generations have been pretty damn good all around.

Take Cadillac for example, the newer CTS and ATS don't give up a thing to the Germans. The Ford Focus and Fusion are segment leaders as well. The reality is, you really can't buy a truly bad car anymore. Most everything is the past 5 years or so is just good.
That actually remains to be seen with the CTS and ATS. People have been saying the same thing about the CTS for 10+ years. Just look how the old CTS's have held up compared to older BMW's/Lexus/Benz. It ain't pretty. New car shootouts are one thing, where the car is headed is something else. And this does affect you even if you're a 30k/yr millionaire who leases luxury cars, because the depreciation affects your lease rates.

Vinen

God is dead
Should be getting my 2014 Explorer in 10 days give or take. They said they shipped it and that it would be here by the 30th and it looks like they give themselves every last day.

Doing a test drive was nice but I didn't get to test one with Sync will let you know when ours comes.
Ford Sync is fucking terrible.

The UI is far too complex for use while driving, its laggy and overall shows of being developed by Microsoft.

That said, I'm still considering buying a Ford Fusion Energi w/ Sync.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I drove a kia soul a while ago that I was actually impressed by the power/handling for a sub 20grand car but do what you're gonna do.
I thought they actually looked OK but have heard they've had some issues. Did you drive it at speed at all - did it sound like you were in a wind tunnel if so?