Buying a car?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Dodge or Chrysler? No, but Ford and Chevy or any GM for that matter post 2005 is good to go. The Jap cars might be god to go but they are bland uninspired styling that basically looks like any other asian car.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ford and Chevy and GM all stopped making minivans a while back. The only people that make them new anymore are Dodge/Chrysler and the foreign companies.

As much as it pains me to say it, the new Honda minivans are DAMN nice. The central vac is handy as hell when you have kids. My brother-in-law has one, but they also have 3 kids that they have to tote around(often with friends)

I'm just sticking with the SUV route for now with only 1 kid. I really dread the day I actually need a minivan.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oh, I didnt catch he was looking for a minivan. I thought it was general car question. Sorry bros! I would still not buy a chrysler.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do new cars need regular waxing? I heard a rumor awhile back that new cars didn't need that anymore due to an extra paint coat or something?
rrr_img_56395.jpg

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone have experience with CNG vehicles? Place I'm moving to has convenient CNG pumps and it's tempting to switch. Specifically CNG trucks

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Do new cars need regular waxing? I heard a rumor awhile back that new cars didn't need that anymore due to an extra paint coat or something?
rrr_img_56395.jpg
I dont think they require it, but it sure cant hurt. If you think of it at a microscopic level, wax fills in the micro grooves and bumps of the paint so the water and dirt just beads off of it. Therefore it makes cleaning your car easier because dirt does not stick to the micro grooves and bumps in your paint and because of the same issue it makes the cars finish shinier.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Dodge or Chrysler? No, but Ford and Chevy or any GM for that matter post 2005 is good to go. The Jap cars might be god to go but they are bland uninspired styling that basically looks like any other asian car.
I had a 2008 Chevy Colorado. That thing was a gigantic piece of shit. And GM customer service was atrocious. When a service rep tells you the reason your sunroof is leaking is because pine needles get stuck in the tracks and to "not park under pine trees" in fucking New England it's time to trade in. Thanks broad, so you're telling me we could land a man on the moon 50 years ago but GM's crack engineers can't figure out pine needles.. got it. After having it for 28k miles and it being in for service 4 times it was time to upgrade to a Toyota. 90k on the Camry and hasn't needed service once. Hell it still has its factory brakes (mostly highway driving). At that point I had GM brand loyalty, it was my 3rd Chevy in a row. It was also the 3rd Chevy in a row that was a steaming pile of shit, so never again GM... never again.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
So you bought a steaming pile of shit, a GM. Then you bought another. And another?

Siliconemelons

I did the rounds trying to avoid a van by getting a nice big 3rd row SUV, and we ended up with a Nissan Quest with the Honda van the backup choice. Vans just offer more stuff and room and MPG for less money... Nissan gave such a nice price there was no contest to the others, 26k for the 2nd to the top trim (MSRP was like 34 or something) and the Nissan had the most driver side room for me, I like the fold flat SUV like seats vs the fold back stow-in-go style of everyone else- your rear cargo compartment in every other van is where your seats flip back and fold into- vs in the nissan everything just folds forward and flat and your rear storage bin is still available. Lets say you go to the store and buy stuff, but you got more than you though while your loading you rear compartment...well now you have to take everything out so you can fold the seat into where you just put stuff...bah!

the vac is insanely nice though its on the Elite Tourning, so the top top end trim so it was out of my thought process as I know I would not be close to that price range.

and the nissan has a CVT, and I like them :p

Vinen

God is dead
does this seem like a fair price? 2010 Honda Fit Sport - 36,000 miles, price $12,489. Kelly Blue Book has it valued at $13,700.

Cars for Sale: 2010 Honda Fit Sport in Conyers, GA 30013: Hatchback Details - 359785015 - AutoTrader.com
Found the exact car on CarGurus (a much better site then AutoTrader). Based upon their regression model it is a good deal. PS: KBB is trash

Used Honda Fit For Sale Conyers, GA - CarGurus

Here is all the Honda Fit Sports in your area
Used Honda Fit For Sale Conyers, GA - CarGurus

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So you bought a steaming pile of shit, a GM. Then you bought another. And another?
My first car I'll give a pass, it was a 1986 Monte Carlo that I bought for $1 from my grandparents. It only lasted til about 115k but it was old. The second car was a 2002 impala that was a total shitcan. The reason I bought the Colorado is because the deal was just too good (or so I thought) at the time. I got the colorado for 17.8k out the door. Toyota gave me 18.1k for it at trade in so I wasn't too disappointed in the end. It's funny, my family were huge Chevy proponents so that had a lot to do with it. I was young and impressionable and didn't know any better. I just thought cars were all gigantic pieces of shit that all had tons of problems.

nescio_sl

shitlord
sooo this might be a dumb questions but.... im traveling about an hour to check out the car linked above, how do I go about finding an independent mechanic to check the car out in an area that im unfamiliar with? any website? thanks and sorry about all the dumb questions, first time buying a car from a dealership.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
inside door handle on my Fusion snapped last night. Probably going to make replace the entire door and charge me $1500

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
inside door handle on my Fusion snapped last night. Probably going to make replace the entire door and charge me $1500
Didn't you also pay 4grand to get some bmw mirror replaced? Seems to me like you are getting bent over by your mechanic.

I see no way a Ford door panel costs 1grand and that's assuming it's 5 hours labor at an overpriced dealership.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bro I don't own, nor have I owned, a BMW. You are mistaking me for someone with money.

duct tape won't work because it's still attached. Instead of reaching a point and opening the door, the latch just bends all the way perpendicular to the door itself. Right now I am opening the window and using the outside door handle to open the door. Working fine but very ghetto.

and I am going to try to avoid taking it to the dealership but that is probably what I'm going to have to do...

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Well I looked it up in our system and it is 1.8hours labor and I guess another tech here just replaced.the handle on a fusion, estimator said the part was around 50 bucks. So unless you need something that you don't know about, you are getting big time screwed.

Also, another too/truck is if you need minor stuff done like trim panel/mirrors. Go to a body shop, they normally will look it over/find what you need and body labor is usually about half the cost of mechanical.

Just make sure it's a legit shop.