Buying a car?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's true about in car navigation systems being outdated... every year I get a letter from Ford asking me if I want to update my maps for the low low price of $199.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In my experience, yes. I use my phone exclusively for a GPS. Google Navigation is better than any in-car GPS that I've used, not to mention that factory nav systems almost always add upward of 1,500 - 2,500 to your cost. It's ridiculously overpriced.
Its funny because we have like 100s of thee things lying around at work, since we build instrument panels around them. And they cost us about $300-$400.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
In my experience, yes. I use my phone exclusively for a GPS. Google Navigation is better than any in-car GPS that I've used, not to mention that factory nav systems almost always add upward of 1,500 - 2,500 to your cost. It's ridiculously overpriced.
It's about 1000 dollars for the BMW system. I don't have it in my car, but I have used it before in a loaner, I like that it integrates into the H.U.D. having visual indicators not only of the current turn you'll need to make, but which lane you'll need to be in to make the next turn/exit is pretty useful when traveling through unfamiliar cities, let me pay much more attention to traffic without worrying about where I was going. You can also text an address to the car, which was pretty useful too. Navigation system updates can be torrented just like any other information, just burn it to a CD and pop it in the car.

Prices are generally falling as more and more cars get LCD displays added whether you have the nav system or not, if it costs the car company only 200 dollars, but they can still mark it up to 500-1000, they're going to continue doing so.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Its funny because we have like 100s of thee things lying around at work, since we build instrument panels around them. And they cost us about $300-$400.
My point exactly.

It's about 1000 dollars for the BMW system. I don't have it in my car, but I have used it before in a loaner, I like that it integrates into the H.U.D. having visual indicators not only of the current turn you'll need to make, but which lane you'll need to be in to make the next turn/exit is pretty useful when traveling through unfamiliar cities, let me pay much more attention to traffic without worrying about where I was going. You can also text an address to the car, which was pretty useful too. Navigation system updates can be torrented just like any other information, just burn it to a CD and pop it in the car.

Prices are generally falling as more and more cars get LCD displays added whether you have the nav system or not, if it costs the car company only 200 dollars, but they can still mark it up to 500-1000, they're going to continue doing so.
Sticker price on BMW Nav is over $2,100.00 on current models. I'm not sure even on the best day you're getting it for less than half. They are nice, no doubt, but they are not worth it if it's not standard, in my opinion. That being said, when you're buying a 40,000+ car, what's a couple more grand really? I wanted it in my Z, but they didn't offer it in the 40th Anniversary edition in the U.S.(but did for fuckin' Canada - wtf?!). The systems are usually very nice, for many of the features you mention, but the navigation itself isn't any better than the "very free" Google Navigation. It's often-times worse.

EDIT: I just checked BMW webpage. The 3 series nav is 2150.00. If you buy a 70,000.00+ M3, they'll be nice and knock 800.00 bucks off the nav at 1350.00!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My point exactly.

Sticker price on BMW Nav is over $2,100.00 on current models. I'm not sure even on the best day you're getting it for less than half. They are nice, no doubt, but they are not worth it if it's not standard, in my opinion. That being said, when you're buying a 40,000+ car, what's a couple more grand really? I wanted it in my Z, but they didn't offer it in the 40th Anniversary edition in the U.S.(but did for fuckin' Canada - wtf?!). The systems are usually very nice, for many of the features you mention, but the navigation itself isn't any better than the "very free" Google Navigation. It's often-times worse.

EDIT: I just checked BMW webpage. The 3 series nav is 2150.00. If you buy a 70,000.00+ M3, they'll be nice and knock 800.00 bucks off the nav at 1350.00!
I have the BMW nav in my car and it really doesn't offer you anything that a $300 Garmin GPS doesn't. However, I figured I'd look like a pretty big retard driving a 50K BMW only to have a $300 GPS suction cupped to the front window. People expect that type of car to come with an integrated GPS, especially considering you can get one on your Honda Civic if you wanted to..

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't think people give a shit whether a BMW has built in GPS or not. I've never had someone even ask about it in my car.

Soygen_sl said:
That being said, when you're buying a 40,000+ car, what's a couple more grand really?
That's a new set of tires or rims (or nearly both), an upgraded exhaust, 3M'ing the entire fucking car twice, and so on. I think that built in GPS is a massive rip off and the only reason I'd ever consider it is if it was required to get other integration features, which is sometimes the case.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is that Nav only or does that roll into a whole bunch of other shit? On my Fusion, you couldn't get Nav only, it was rolled into some package that had a rear camera and a whole bunch of other shit.

Building off of my last question about GPS, what about the stereo? My girlfriend is looking to get a new car around the Camry/Accord price range. If its available standalone, how much are you getting ripped off if you add the audio package? Do people put "systems" in their car anymore? And I mean something better than stock but doesn't mean you have a fucking sub in the trunk or some shit like a dude in 97 driving a civic.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I don't think people give a shit whether a BMW has built in GPS or not. I've never had someone even ask about it in my car.

That's a new set of tires or rims (or nearly both), an upgraded exhaust, 3M'ing the entire fucking car twice, and so on. I think that built in GPS is a massive rip off and the only reason I'd ever consider it is if it was required to get other integration features, which is sometimes the case.
At least on my Z4 if I didn't get the GPS, I wouldn't get the car computer either, which meant no LCD screen whatsoever in the car. Believe it's the same on a 328/335. A car of that caliber/price range with no LCD/computer is pretty lame.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Building off of my last question about GPS, what about the stereo? My girlfriend is looking to get a new car around the Camry/Accord price range. If its available standalone, how much are you getting ripped off if you add the audio package? Do people put "systems" in their car anymore? And I mean something better than stock but doesn't mean you have a fucking sub in the trunk or some shit like a dude in 97 driving a civic.
This was another thing that was rolled into the "luxury/premium" package of my car... 7 Speaker Sony or Bose Audio system or whatever. Couldn't get it separate. Want LCD Screen and Back-up Camera? You're getting the premium sound package too.

I don't listen to music that much so I don't notice it to be honest. I don't know anyone anymore who has a non-stock updated stereo in their car but that could be due to age or social group.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
At least on my Z4 if I didn't get the GPS, I wouldn't get the car computer either, which meant no LCD screen whatsoever in the car. Believe it's the same on a 328/335. A car of that caliber/price range with no LCD/computer is pretty lame.
meh, maybe I'm a purist, but I don't really give a shit about that kind of feature in straight gasoline car. Maybe it can be justified in a hybrid or electric vehicle where you need more display capability to show what's going on with the car, but otherwise I don't give a shit that a Porsche GT2 barely even has a stereo in it.

This was another thing that was rolled into the "luxury/premium" package of my car... 7 Speaker Sony or Bose Audio system or whatever. Couldn't get it separate. Want LCD Screen and Back-up Camera? You're getting the premium sound package too.

I don't listen to music that much so I don't notice it to be honest. I don't know anyone anymore who has a non-stock updated stereo in their car but that could be due to age or social group.
Yeah that's what I mean. And I doubt she would and I certainly wouldn't want like a fucking STEAL ME faceplate right on the dash for the head unit or have to take it out of the car every time you park somewhere sketchy.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I had the person who sold me my 2012 Mustang call me a few days ago. Apparently the dealership changed ownership. With this change came a new policy on warranty's concerning thier new car line-up which involves the 13+ range but regretfully not my 2012. I currently have the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on my power train. The new policy is a life-time warranty. This dealership owner apparently owns 92 other dealerships so not expecting it to close down anytime soon. The warranty is what made me even consider trading in my mustang for a 2013. My current car had immediate problems with the transmission that involved replacing a solenoid when I first bought it. For about 10 miles, this brand new car lurched from neutral into drive from a stopped positition as I returned it. I had always been concerned that there could have been more damage done that might not become apparent until farther down the road. I was pleasantly surprised how much they were willing to work with me. Getting 25k for the trade in and 3k off for incentives on a 2013 because they have 2014's on the lot now. There is almost no difference between the 13 and 14, so I am good with saving 2k. Go Go life time warranty.

Anybody else have one of these warrantys on thier vehicle and can give me a heads-up on perhaps some catches I need to be aware of. I know that I have to keep up with suggested maintenance. Thankfully they allow this maintenance to be done at any shop. Also the warranty is covered at any dealership.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
As a graduation present, I'm thinking about buying either a 4 cylinder Honda Accord, 6 cylinder Accord or a 6 cylinder Honda Crosstour. I know the Accord is a good car but I have a hard on for hatchbacks. Anyone know anything about the (2013) Crosstour?

Blide_sl

shitlord
The Crosstour is literally just a hatchback version of the Accord. It even used to be called the Accord Crosstour until relatively recently. The only thing really different is the body.

Then one thing I can say about crossovers like the Crosstour and the BMW X5 is that rear visibility is pretty poor. The back window may appear large on the outside but the angle hides the fact that the window is not very high.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My car has about 0 rear visibility. When I first got it, I found it very disconcerting, but I don't even notice it now.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Thinking about buying a used 2006 Ford Escape XLT w/V6 + 4WD from a guy from. I've driven my parents 04 Escape here and there and found it to be a pretty decent drive. Does anyone have any experience owning one around the same year? The one I'm looking at is in pretty damn good shape, brand new tires, 92k miles on it. We're talking price probably end up paying like $8,500-9,00 on it.

Any thoughts?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Also, my dog chewed up the top of the shifter in my car... are those pretty easy to replace?

Lawso002

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Im thinking of buying a new truck . Currently looking at F150's and Tundra's . Any help would be appreciated .