California trying GPS-tracking mileage tax for 2016

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
California trying GPS-tracking mileage tax for 2016 - MSN Autos

In an effort to shore up declining gas tax revenue due to more fuel-efficient cars, California wants to try charging car owners by the mile instead of having them pay at the pump.

DeSaulnier hasn't specified the tax rate, but last year, the Government Accountability Office suggested a national mileage tax ranging between 0.9 and 2.2 cents per mile. In Oregon, when that pilot begins in 2015, the rate will be 1.5 cents.

Thats some Orwellian shit right there.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm assuming this is basically to skirt around the fact that as vehicles get higher mileage, tax revenue decreases? I'd be more ok with this if they got rid of the current fuel taxes, but it sounds more like this would just be in addition to.

I'd never be totally ok with this though. Fuck having a government organization tracking me with GPS all the time. I bought a 2013 car and it had some new lo-jack system on it (can't remember what it was called, but it's similar). I told them there was no way in hell I was paying for it, and not only that, but I wasn't buying their car unless they removed the system entirely.

Silence_sl

shitlord
It's obviously a way to cloak declining tax revenues by placing the burden on all drivers, not just the drivers of HEV's. If this were simply the issue that they are saying it is, then the tax would be levied only to HEV vehicles, not all of them. Further, this will eventually (sooner rather than later) will become an additional tax, and not the proposed either/or with the existing tax per gallon of gas.

Couple this with the looming National VMT, and life is going to get just that much harder for alotof people. These fuckers need to start axing (fat) public (and Federal) employee compensation packages instead of taking money from people that don't have much of it any more.

deleted derp

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
These fuckers need to start axing (fat) public (and Federal) employee compensation packages instead of taking money from people that don't have much of it any more.
I assume you mean congress, because fucking with public employee compensation IS taking money from people that don't have much of it anymore. Bureaucrats don't live some lavish lifestyle. Or are you some "anti union" guy?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This might sound like a stupid question, but where is all this tax money going to? I mean the middle class, dude like me is already getting taxed and re-taxed for basically 50% of my salary, right? But yet the schools are broke, the infrastructure is ancient and crumbling, so again where the fuck is it all going? Not just federal tax dollars, but the state and local ones I pay as well?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
When you are spending someone else's money the focus is always on spending more/doing more rather better.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This might sound like a stupid question, but where is all this tax money going to? I mean the middle class, dude like me is already getting taxed and re-taxed for basically 50% of my salary, right? But yet the schools are broke, the infrastructure is ancient and crumbling, so again where the fuck is it all going? Not just federal tax dollars, but the state and local ones I pay as well?
I assume something like this is supposed to go towards roads and bridges and whatnot. There has been a lot of chatter about raising the federal gas tax after all these years and how that will supposedly pay for a all road/bridge infrastructure projects.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
This kind of shit would make me vote for the fucking Teatards if it passed where I was at. Fucking ridiculous.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So, at $0.02 a mile, it'll roughly(sightly higher) be the cost of an extra tank of gas, every 3 or so months(based on my commute). It won't be that big of a deal for people with short commutes, or those who use public transportation/biking/walking, but for people who commute in from rural areas? Yikes..

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shouldnt people that use the roads more, pay more?
Its not as simple as that because weight has a lot to do with road ware. So you would have to calculate the weight of the vehicle into this equation as well. Clearly a little Civic is not doing the damage as F150.

Also Kirun, where id you get the .02c per mile?

'DeSaulnier hasn't specified the tax rate, but last year, the Government Accountability Office suggested a national mileage tax ranging between 0.9 and 2.2 cents per mile. In Oregon, when that pilot begins in 2015, the rate will be 1.5 cents.'

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
its being given to people who would rather not work.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As someone who is a light driver (seriously a tank of gas lasts me a month and a half - big tank, but still) - I'd be all for it.

Cheaper gas since it would replace the gas tax, and less total cost replacing it.

But man, it would suck in the states where just going to Wal-Mart or something is a 100 mile journey.

Also be interesting to see how the cost impacts shipping companies that would pay inordinately. (Imagine the cost to UPS and such...)

Silence_sl

shitlord
Its not as simple as that because weight has a lot to do with road ware. So you would have to calculate the weight of the vehicle into this equation as well. Clearly a little Civic is not doing the damage as F150.
Heavy commercial vehicles do the most damage to roads, not light vehicles owned by private individuals. If governments really wanted to be effective, then the VMT would be applied to commercial vehicles only, and at a rate that corresponds with the wear they do to the highways.

Eventually, state and federal VMT's will be the norm, in addition to the existing fuel tax. Who know what the average combined tax of the two will be. If it's .30, then a friend of mine is looking at an extra $30k a year in tax.
redface.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Also Kirun, where id you get the .02c per mile?

'DeSaulnier hasn't specified the tax rate, but last year, the Government Accountability Office suggested a national mileage tax ranging between 0.9 and 2.2 cents per mile. In Oregon, when that pilot begins in 2015, the rate will be 1.5 cents.'
Sounds good to me. I am all for taxing businesses more where its deserved.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Also be interesting to see how the cost impacts shipping companies that would pay inordinately. (Imagine the cost to UPS and such...)
Except that shipping companies wouldn't be paying inordinately; they'd be paying their fair share for once. Except, they'd just pass off the cost, anyway.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Cheaper gas since it would replace the gas tax, and less total cost replacing it.
You think they will lower the price of gas? If I were a oil company I'd love this too, as I'd be planning on adjusting the price of gas so there is no difference in what you pay at the pump. There a completely different psychology about paying a tax automatically, and actually paying a tax at a later time. Imagine if we gave everyone in this country their full paychecks and then made them pay a $10,000 bill at the end of the year. We'll never do that, because people don't realize how much it actually is until you're writing a check for it.

The price of gas will stay the same -- but you'll just have to pay a tax at a later time as well.