Camelot Unchained

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Instead of "bars" they should just have a diagram or silhouette or a person and have each section (arm, leg, etc) simply change color or lose it's fill color as it receives damage. It's completely unnecessary to display all of those bars. Surely they know this is a horrible idea. Fire the UI guy..... now.
Yeah that'd surely be an improvement, but it's still an unsuitable concept regardless the representation. It'd make sense in a vehicle-based game (e.g. mechs), but not one in which the player is flesh and blood. Humans don't spend time managing the operational status of their limbs when they're locked in combat.

The more you try to reify a simple abstraction like hitpoints, the more absurd the result. Not until we have VR that jacks into the brainstem or something will it be warranted.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that'd surely be an improvement, but it's still an unsuitable concept regardless the representation. It'd make sense in a vehicle-based game (e.g. mechs), but not one in which the player is flesh and blood. Humans don't spend time managing the operational status of their limbs when they're locked in combat.

The more you try to reify a simple abstraction like hitpoints, the more absurd the result. Not until we have VR that jacks into the brainstem or something will it be warranted.

Completely agree.... just saying if that's really a core piece to their combat, surely they see it can be simplified. They're not really creating something here. As you said with Mechs and vehicles, if this is truly an important concept to their game, it's been done before.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I don't think graphics are their only problem :

They put that out there to show something they found amusing, i wouldn't assume it's going to remain an issue. Here is what preceded that video it in their newsletter:
To wrap things up, we have a fun video that illustrates what happens when engineers (Andrew, in this case) add new features to the game. You gotta come up with something fun to test it out! As I referenced above, this video shows a test conducted to see whether the VFX and SFX tagging on the footfalls do indeed work! We won't, of course, leave it this way (I think dB has already begun adding in real footfall sounds) but it was a fun thing to find in the game.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm buying this game if only for the reason of supporting MJ after what EA did to him/Warhammer Online

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
dFruAX02KT6DDV2JG72EJV2SPFLVM4LSuh4ixsqX_7E.jpg

Link to bigger image

The UI artist has a long post about this on Reddit. Basically the different health bars are different parts of your body. The largest health bars are for your head and torso. If your head or torso's health drops to zero, you are dead.

I could live with the dated world graphics. But holy shit everyone has 7 health/mana bars? Imagine a raid healer interface.:eek:

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I could live with the dated world graphics. But holy shit everyone has 7 health/mana bars? Imagine a raid healer interface.:eek:

Pretty sure that castle is just something some player threw together with the world building tools. Last time I logged in (6 months ago?), you could build stuff and run around but that was about it.

Looks like they are making progress but it's very slow. They spent most of their early time just building an engine that could handle all the players running around killing each other. If anyone remembers Warhammer's early days, castle sieges were fubar beyond belief because the engine and network code couldn't handle the traffic.

I like that they are willing to try new things, and they are so far from beta everything could change. I give them a pass on the graphics, etc for now just because it's way to early to even call this a game yet. Crowfall is much farther along. Sucks things are taking so long but that seems to be par for the course in these days.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Heal arm, heal arm, heal arm, heal arm, heal arm...

Heal leg, heal leg, heal leg, heal leg, heal leg, heal leg...

Heal head, heal head, heal head, heal head, heal head...

Heal torso, heal torso, heal torso, heal torso, heal torso...

CONGRATS! You just healed one dude.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They put that out there to show something they found amusing, i wouldn't assume it's going to remain an issue. Here is what preceded that video it in their newsletter:

If they found animating characters like they're on the moon amusing I really think they should spend their livestream working on their engine rather than designing candles.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
If they found animating characters like they're on the moon amusing I really think they should spend their livestream working on their engine rather than designing candles.
Yes, because watching someone code is much more entertaining then showing an amusing test....

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm buying this game if only for the reason of supporting MJ after what EA did to him/Warhammer Online

EA basically gave him a wild budget card for Warhammer Online, a much anticipated MMO (Warhammer + Dark Age of Camelot's Jacobs) and Jacobs and his team failed to deliver. EA then bought Mythic and gave Jacobs a solid check for his departure. Could you please tell us when EA did anything wrong to Jacobs ?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Game did deliver despite rushed launch but the player base bleed out due to said rushed launch was too great. As far as the team failing they did eventually fix everything (as it was within their ability) but the hype was over and people were gone by then. Still my fave PvP MMO that was designed for it.

I don't think he was a dbag about anything but wasn't in the trenches developing under the guy or anything. Given a a few more months it would have been a totally different ball game.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user