Camelot Unchained

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Why is it taking them so long to release and test classes?

I remember reading the answer to this but I don't remember specifics. I think they were still working on core systems until Beta 2.

To be clear, this is a old school beta. I couldn't figure out how to do anything in game and ended up just watching the siege for a bit since I had no gear and logging off.

Bumble

Molten Core Raider
Why is it taking them so long to release and test classes?
Their explanation is that the original method of adding skills to the game was a long drawn-out manual process, so they spent months creating an internal tool that lets them create skills much faster. They only started actually implementing mage abilities about 2 weeks ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I remember reading the answer to this but I don't remember specifics. I think they were still working on core systems until Beta 2.

To be clear, this is a old school beta. I couldn't figure out how to do anything in game and ended up just watching the siege for a bit since I had no gear and logging off.

So pre-alpha?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Their explanation is that the original method of adding skills to the game was a long drawn-out manual process, so they spent months creating an internal tool that lets them create skills much faster. They only started actually implementing mage abilities about 2 weeks ago.

Is this a reasonable approach or are the incompetent?

Hekotat

Folks,

Last weekend 's test went well so this build is now officially a Stable Weekend Build. So, now it's time to welcome all of our Alpha, Beta 1, Beta 2, and IT folks into an all-day workday test. Please check the testing schedule as it may change during the day.

Yes, you read that right, Beta 2s, COME ON DOWN to a workday test!!!!!!!!

From previous tests: I bet you thought 120 trebuchets was an interesting build. That is so last week! Today we are putting a Weekend Build through an additional stress test, 200 trebuchets and 800 other NPCs and siege weapon. Yep, 1K+ weapons and combatants along with a now 9.4M block building! This build also has a number of small fixes, bigger fixes, lighting changes. and more. It is a sight to behold assuming your machine can handle the stress. This leads me to:

THIS IS A STRESS TEST AND A SERIOUS ONE FOR YOUR RIG! IT WILL DEFINITELY STRESS MOST PLAYERS GPU/CPU!
DO NOT JOIN US IF YOU HAVE AN OLD, LESS POWERFUL RIG. IF YOUR LAPTOP/PC START HEATING UP TOO MUCH, QUIT THE GAME IMMEDIATELY!

What the siege looks like now is a scenario test area which has:

1) A castle with 9.4M blocks built by Treville. The keep might look a little familiar to some folks. The resemblance is purely on purpose! The building will get destroyed blocks-by-blocks and it will look a lot better than the version from last month!

2) 1000+ NPCs including trebuchets, scorpions and magic mortars firing at and from the Cherry Keep (name is derived from the giant cherry tree in the middle of the keep) when the scenario starts.

3) You can play either as an Arthurian (attackers) or the Tuatha de Dannan. If you play a Viking, you will be fair game for either side.

4) At the end of rounds, I will occasionally bring in 1-2K new NPCs to do their thing.

5) This is an stable build and a weekend candidate but please keep in mind that:

THIS IS A STRESS TEST AND A SERIOUS ONE FOR YOUR RIG! IT WILL DEFINITELY STRESS MOST PLAYERS GPU/CPU!
DO NOT JOIN US IF YOU HAVE AN OLD, LESS POWERFUL RIG. IF YOUR LAPTOP/PC START HEATING UP TOO MUCH, QUIT THE GAME IMMEDIATELY!

Pay attention to chat, forums, and the tentative testing schedule for info.

When:
Now - April 26th 2019.

Duration: Till we leave the office today or until we need to shut it down!

Where:

Hawking

Who:
IT, Alpha and Beta 1s and Beta 2s!

For those of you who haven't been in this test yet, you'll see a really good preview of what a simple siege in Camelot Unchained will feel like. And as we've been warning folks, this build is not for those on really old rigs!

For the last time:

-Mark

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's pretty annoying to read "ALL CAPS LOL!" excitement regarding a stress test 3 years after they Kickstarted this thing.

• 2Like

Fierlen

Trakanon Raider
Three years? I'm pretty sure I donated back in 2013. If only they were able to develop it that fast.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I kinda thought this went vapor.

I'm glad it didn't. Between this and CoH that covers my two favorite mmo's.

Hekotat

What the siege looks like now is a scenario test area which has:

1) A castle with 9.4M blocks built by Treville. The keep might look a little familiar to some folks. The resemblance is purely on purpose! The building will get destroyed blocks-by-blocks and it will look a lot better than the version from last month!

2) 1000+ NPCs including trebuchets, scorpions and magic mortars firing at and from the Cherry Keep (name is derived from the giant cherry tree in the middle of the keep) when the scenario starts.

3) You can play either as an Arthurian (attackers) or the Tuatha de Dannan. If you play a Viking, you will be fair game for either side.

4) At the end of rounds, I will occasionally bring in 1-2K new NPCs to do their thing.

5) This is an stable build and a weekend candidate but please keep in mind that:

Pay attention to chat, forums, and the tentative testing schedule for info.

When:
Now - April 30th 2019.

Duration: 3 1/2 hours (or so) or until we need to shut it down!

Where:

Hawking

Who:
IT, Alpha and Beta 1s and Beta 2s!

Please make sure and read the documentation linked below for any updates to the instructions.

For those of you who haven't been in this test yet, you'll see a really good preview of what a simple siege in Camelot Unchained will feel like. And as we've been warning folks, this build is not for those on really old rigs!

For the last time:

-Mark

If they are able to keep a steady 100fps with fights of that magnitude this game will be very attractive if they don't fuck up the combat. It would be the first time I've played a game without the crazy FPS drops in fights.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If they are able to keep a steady 100fps with fights of that magnitude this game will be very attractive if they don't fuck up the combat. It would be the first time I've played a game without the crazy FPS drops in fights.

And now we (continue to) play...the waiting game.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm in the Beta but the tests are almost always when I'm at work or super early saturday morning.

Seems like oddly scheduled times for a stress test wouldn't ya think?

That's what I don't like about these folks. They tend to overhype every meaningless update to the point it starts to sound like they're up to something and not actually producing anything of note.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like oddly scheduled times for a stress test wouldn't ya think?

That's what I don't like about these folks. They tend to overhype every meaningless update to the point it starts to sound like they're up to something and not actually producing anything of note.

They are still working on base systems (64 bit client, network stuff, etc.), so it will be a while before anything cool is available to play. I think Mark mentioned in a post somewhere that once the base systems are done then making he rest of the game will be relatively fast because they are not doing any PvE content. No quests, etc.

As for the weird timing it probably (just guessing) has to do mainly with not burning out too early before launching the game. Weekend tests mean people working on Saturday and Sunday. Overtime pay and burnout. Mark has been around the block, he knows that overtime pay and burnout are not sustainable for a small crew like theirs with limited funding.

• 2Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Weekend tests mean people working on Saturday and Sunday. Overtime pay and burnout. Mark has been around the block, he knows that overtime pay and burnout are not sustainable for a small crew like theirs with limited funding.

I hadn't considered that. Point well taken.

Hekotat

Got to check out the game last weekend and the performance is quite impressive. With tons of enemies on screen I was still pushing 100+ FPS and the battles were quite enjoyable.

Caster range is very long and melee characters can take a beating. I'm quite excited for this one but trying not to get too excited, hopefully they'll get into a late beta state by the end of the year.

• 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
This kind of confirms what I was thinking. They've been taking so long to build this game because they're not building a game. They're building a game engine. I think they've got their sites set on selling this badboy a few years down the line. Mark is playing the long game with our $. Not mad because that's exactly what he said he was going to do. I just didn't totally get the implications until recently.

• 2Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider