Can the US just ban Celsius from the world please?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that all engineering is done in metric. I was an electrical engineer so I didn't have much use for measurements but I worked with mechanical engineers on a daily basis. Nothing that they did was metric. They did use 10th, 100ths, 1000ths of an inch instead of 8ths, 16ths, 32nds, etc. As long as the stuff you're doing is not too big to express in inches, metric doesn't have any advantage. There is certainly nothing in buildings and such that is in metric. All the standard measurements for doors, windows, pipes, boards, etc are all in feet and inches.

For all practical purposes the only conversion you have to make in any kind of construction or machining or anything really is feet and inches, and any high school dropout capable of swinging a hammer will have multiplying or dividing by 12 down in a month.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that all engineering is done in metric. I was an electrical engineer so I didn't have much use for measurements but I worked with mechanical engineers on a daily basis. Nothing that they did was metric. They did use 10th, 100ths, 1000ths of an inch instead of 8ths, 16ths, 32nds, etc. As long as the stuff you're doing is not too big to express in inches, metric doesn't have any advantage. There is certainly nothing in buildings and such that is in metric. All the standard measurements for doors, windows, pipes, boards, etc are all in feet and inches.

For all practical purposes the only conversion you have to make in any kind of construction or machining or anything really is feet and inches, and any high school dropout capable of swinging a hammer will have multiplying or dividing by 12 down in a month.
So, Ohm's law and other electrical equations you learnt in the course of your degree, were those also in Imperial format?

1 1/2" +2 3/8" + 1 2/5" +1 1/4"

2.1 cm + 1.4cm + 1.3cm + 1.6 cm

Which is easier to add in your head? Which is easier to read off a ruler?

2.5 Micrometers=.25 millimeters
15 inches = .4155 yards (15X .0277)

Imperial is perfectly usable, it just isn't as efficient as metric..

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
What the fuck are you talking about? There aren't different measurements for amps, volts, or ohms in metric vs. imperial.

EDIT:

Also, you examples are easier because you're using decimals instead of fractions, it has nothing to do with imperial vs. metric. And there is no plausible scenario where anyone would ever need to convert 15 inches into yards.

Chris

Potato del Grande
"Association Football" is a term from the mid 1800's when the game was invented and there were several different sets of rules, such as "Rugby Football".

"Football" caught on as the popular name for Football because yourfoottouches theballall the time. "Rugby" caught on as the popular name for Rugby because youhold an egg in your handall of the time and don't kick it so much - because "Handegg" sounds retarded they went with the place it was invented in. So then the colonies all made their own versions of Rugby (Gaelic/Aussie Rules/American) before the names settled and called it "Football" maybe because that is the name all of the games had in common, then the rules diverged because distance.

Fuck you. We won. Football is the #1 international team sport, dominating 3 continents and played on the others. Two types of Rugby are played internationally within Europe/Commonwealth. Nobody else plays your shitty slow game and there is no world tournament for it, this should tell you something. Take off the damn armor and convert to Rugby you pussies, why not? You can't rename the game when you are in the extreme minority.

Um yes there are. The meter is pretty fundamental in a lot of electrical engineering units.

How are you an electrical engineer and don't know the base units for volts involves the meter when talking SI units???

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Take off the armor b/c pussies? You know b/c of the armor they get to hit harder. It's like boxing gloves vs. bare knuckle. You preserve the subject in dangerous situations so that skill determines victory. Rugby players weigh 40-70 lbs. less than american football players. Unarmored they would curbstomp any rugby team.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
"Football" caught on as the popular name for Football because yourfoottouches theballall the time. "Rugby" caught on as the popular name for Rugby because youhold an egg in your handall of the time and don't kick it so much - because "Handegg" sounds retarded they went with the place it was invented in.
sorry, but what bird is it, exactly, that lays rugby balls? Do they play with fertilized balls? I never watch, so that's a serious question. If occasionally the egg breaks open and some horrible creature scurries away, I will probably make an effort to watch it more often. Also, if that happens please post some youtube links (if the countries that play rugby have that technology)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
"Association Football" is a term from the mid 1800's when the game was invented and there were several different sets of rules, such as "Rugby Football".

"Football" caught on as the popular name for Football because yourfoottouches theballall the time. "Rugby" caught on as the popular name for Rugby because youhold an egg in your handall of the time and don't kick it so much - because "Handegg" sounds retarded they went with the place it was invented in. So then the colonies all made their own versions of Rugby (Gaelic/Aussie Rules/American) before the names settled and called it "Football" maybe because that is the name all of the games had in common, then the rules diverged because distance.

Fuck you. We won. Football is the #1 international team sport, dominating 3 continents and played on the others. Two types of Rugby are played internationally within Europe/Commonwealth. Nobody else plays your shitty slow game and there is no world tournament for it, this should tell you something. Take off the damn armor and convert to Rugby you pussies, why not? You can't rename the game when you are in the extreme minority.
The origin of football comes from anyone that wasn't wealthy enough to play sports on horses. Then brits coined soccer and then make fun of americans for calling t football because the rules are different from rugby football

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Dude, it has nothing to do with "sucking" and everything to do with efficiency. It's like saying that those that drive instead of walk are just lazy and suck at walking. No, driving is just incredibly more efficient. Metric and Imperial accomplish the exact same thing, measurement, the difference is that one intra-converts purely based on moving a decimal point, whilst the other uses all sorts of arbitrary formulas to do the exact same thing.

Oh, and I doubt my old Quantum Chemistry/Physics textbooks were written for people that "suck at math".
OK, well you might have a different word for when people have to do things a certain way because its too hard to do the normal way. I call that sucking at it.

So, Ohm's law and other electrical equations you learnt in the course of your degree, were those also in Imperial format?
Lol, while I was getting my EE degree, they never mentioned metric units for current, voltage or resistance. Please, enlighten me.

Some deprived/dumb EEs up in this bitch. Never once in your EE education did you ever learn the derivation of fundamental electrical engineering units?????

What do you work on so I can stay far far away from it?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
What the fuck are you talking about? There aren't different measurements for amps, volts, or ohms in metric vs. imperial.

EDIT:

Also, you examples are easier because you're using decimals instead of fractions, it has nothing to do with imperial vs. metric. And there is no plausible scenario where anyone would ever need to convert 15 inches into yards.
Isn't the historical imperial value of an Ohm a Thompson unit? Jesus people, you pick an old formula out of your head from 20 years ago thinking it has some metric constant in it and everybody jumps up your anus. Perhaps a better example (in the case of electricity) would be values for gravity and length. Do you use 9.8m/s^2 or feet/sec^2? Granted, electricity uses far less metric/imperial values than say mechanics, but back in college doing your mechanics course, can you imagine all those formulas being in imperial format.

As for the decimals vs fractions comment, that's because I have never heard inches expressed as a decimal, just like I've never heard of centimeters expressed as a fraction. Imperial rulers lend to measurements made in fractions, while metric rulers lend themselves to measurements made in decimals. As for the "plausibility" of ever needing to convert inches to yards, I'm not debating "real world" application, I'm debating which system lends itself to easier and more practical usage. Like I said both systems are functional. Outside of some scholastic or scientific application, I have no need to convert from millimeters to decameters or inches to yards, however the former conversion is trivial and can be done inside one's head in a few seconds, while the latter requires knowledge of the conversion value as well as a piece of paper and a pencil.

Chris

Potato del Grande
sorry, but what bird is it, exactly, that lays rugby balls? Do they play with fertilized balls? I never watch, so that's a serious question. If occasionally the egg breaks open and some horrible creature scurries away, I will probably make an effort to watch it more often. Also, if that happens please post some youtube links (if the countries that play rugby have that technology)
It's probally some kind of animal part originally, so piss/blood/shit comes out.

The origin of football comes from anyone that wasn't wealthy enough to play sports on horses. Then brits coined soccer and then make fun of americans for calling t football because the rules are different from rugby football
Yeah 160 years ago the rules were still changing and nicknames developed for each set of rules as I posted. You guys are over 100 years out of date with the language as usual. If 6.5 Billion call it "Football" and 0.5 Billion "Soccer" then I think that you need to let it go.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
As soon as we do you can't mock us for it anymore. That seems a little shortsighted brah.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Isn't the historical imperial value of an Ohm a Thompson unit? Jesus people, you pick an old formula out of your head from 20 years ago thinking it has some metric constant in it and everybody jumps up your anus. Perhaps a better example (in the case of electricity) would be values for gravity and length. Do you use 9.8m/s^2 or feet/sec^2? Granted, electricity uses far less metric/imperial values than say mechanics, but back in college doing your mechanics course, can you imagine all those formulas being in imperial format.

As for the decimals vs fractions comment, that's because I have never heard inches expressed as a decimal, just like I've never heard of centimeters expressed as a fraction. Imperial rulers lend to measurements made in fractions, while metric rulers lend themselves to measurements made in decimals. As for the "plausibility" of ever needing to convert inches to yards, I'm not debating "real world" application, I'm debating which system lends itself to easier and more practical usage. Like I said both systems are functional. Outside of some scholastic or scientific application, I have no need to convert from millimeters to decameters or inches to yards, however the former conversion is trivial and can be done inside one's head in a few seconds, while the latter requires knowledge of the conversion value as well as a piece of paper and a pencil.
Metric doesn't "lend itself" to being done in decimal, they just are. You can measure inches in decimals just as easily and that's what mechanical engineers do. Like I said earlier in the thread, I think it's stupid that bolts and rulers and such are in fractions instead of tenths of an inch, but that's not any kind of an inherent property of metric vs. imperial.

I'm not trying to claim that it's not easier to do unit conversions in metric than it is with imperial or that imperial measurements are in any way superior. If I was starting a new society I would use metric. All I'm saying is that from a practical standpoint the advantage of metric is pretty much trivial and I doubt that it would pay off enough to merit the pain of switching at this point. Also the Euros obviously need something to feel superior about since they are grasping at straws trying to compare rugby to American Football.

drychnath

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dude, it has nothing to do with "sucking" and everything to do with efficiency. It's like saying that those that drive instead of walk are just lazy and suck at walking. No, driving is just incredibly more efficient. Metric and Imperial accomplish the exact same thing, measurement, the difference is that one intra-converts purely based on moving a decimal point, whilst the other uses all sorts of arbitrary formulas to do the exact same thing.

Oh, and I doubt my old Quantum Chemistry/Physics textbooks were written for people that "suck at math".
So those people who ride electric carts through walmart are incredibly efficient?

Tea_sl

shitlord
Apparently a lot of people in this thread didn't convert all their physics answers in college to the dumbest possible units. What's it like not enjoying life with your shitty easy to use metric units?