Can the US just ban Celsius from the world please?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Apparently a lot of people in this thread didn't convert all their physics answers in college to the dumbest possible units. What's it like not enjoying life with your shitty easy to use metric units?
fat-kid-mcdonalds-769134-769471.jpg

It's glorious. Now shut up and serve fries, peon!

Agraza

Registered Hutt
We also do the calendar and the hours of the day by 12. It's not like there wasn't precedent.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's not something I really care about or worry about, but 10 is divisible by 5 and 2. 12 is divisible by 2,3,4,6, so it makes math a lot easier.
Thanks, makes sense.

Blame the Mayans or something.

Damn, it'd be pretty sweet to have single digit numbers for every hour and every month.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to reading this thread, never realized how great it would turn out to be.

Kelvin being more precise than Celsius is just gold Jerry, gold!

Also, not sure how old you are Wombat (I'm in my 40's), but plenty of my aeronautical engineering problems in college were in imperial units. A good number were metric too, but like any engineering student knows it didn't really matter until you got to the end and you converted to whatever system they wanted the answer in. I can't visualize the number of slugs per square foot any better than I can kgs per square meter, or Newtons vs. lbf, etc. so who cares? It's all just carrying your units through until the end, nothing more.

As my high school physics teacher used to say when you gave a number only answer like "27", "27 what, mops?!"

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Lol, while I was getting my EE degree, they never mentioned metric units for current, voltage or resistance. Please, enlighten me.
A volt is a (KILOGRAM)(METER)^2 / (Coulomb)(Second)^2

or a (NEWTON)(METER) / (Coulomb) You could break this in to other units, but its definitely all based in metric. Christ.

Ill let you go read a textbook and cancel out the METRIC units when doing V=IR

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Lol, this thread is really showing who the mediocre engineering students were. I'm a fricking Bio major and even I knew that volts and resistance use metric units. If you are going to quote Ohm's Law then you should also know that resistance is inversely proportional to the cross sectional area (meters squared) and directly proportional to length (meters). Freshman physics people.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That's...not what I was saying. Obviously you are going to be more familiar with the one you use all your life. The scaling on Fahrenheit is more applicable to human experience. The only true benefit Celcius provides is freezing at 0. That is a good marker for a relevant data point. The effort to learn freezing at 32 doesn't outweigh Fahrenheit's other benefits.
How is F more "applicable to human experience"? What "other benefits"? The only thing you've come up with is "I like to set my thermostat in 1 F increments", which is rendered irrelevant by the fact that virtually all thermostats worth a shit adjust in half degree celcius increments.

Vvoid_sl said:
A good number were metric too, but like any engineering student knows it didn't really matter until you got to the end and you converted to whatever system they wanted the answer in.
My experience in engineering was the opposite. If it was a problem that you had to show your work, you had to do the whole thing in whatever system the problem was asked in. Otherwise they'd only give you a mark for the right answer, and not give you the rest of the marks for the problem itself. You couldn't just convert at the end unless you were fine with only getting 1 out of 4 marks or some shit.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
How is F more "applicable to human experience"? What "other benefits"? The only thing you've come up with is "I like to set my thermostat in 1 F increments", which is rendered irrelevant by the fact that virtually all thermostats worth a shit adjust in half degree celcius increments.
Assuming that .5 degrees Celsius is a perceptible difference in temperature, what advantage is there to having to use decimals? Fahrenheit uses the whole of double digit numbers to provide a relevant data range. For Celsius 40-100 is a rarely used range.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's probally some kind of animal part originally, so piss/blood/shit comes out.
But he said it was an egg. Meaning there should be an entire baby animal of some sort in there.

A volt is a (KILOGRAM)(METER)^2 / (Coulomb)(Second)^2

or a (NEWTON)(METER) / (Coulomb) You could break this in to other units, but its definitely all based in metric. Christ.

Ill let you go read a textbook and cancel out the METRIC units when doing V=IR
OK, you got me, I meant to say no distinction was made between imperial and metric. There was one set of units. But thanks for the knowledge. If I was taught that, I forgot it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You get used to what you use. If we (USA) switched to Metric for everything but time, in a year only old foggies and dumb fucks would have issues with it. You'd get used to it. Might bitch about it but you would get used to it.

That said, who gives a fuck? Convert if you need to and STFU.

Metric 4tw! Not likely to happen though.

Funny side note. Brought a mildly retarded friend up to Canada once and she commented on how much cheaper the gas was.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
What about time? That shit is all fucked up. 60 seconds to an minute and 60 minutes to an hour? 24 hours to a day? WHY? Where's my metric time scale.

Fuck you and your decimal systems and your faggot metric measurements. Pussies.

Fuck Tuco with his pussyshit 12 or 16 base systems.

Need to Sexagesimal system so time makes sense. Come at me bros.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Assuming that .5 degrees Celsius is a perceptible difference in temperature, what advantage is there to having to use decimals? Fahrenheit uses the whole of double digit numbers to provide a relevant data range. For Celsius 40-100 is a rarely used range.
There is neither an advantage or disadvantage. That's the point I'm making. The one thing you keep coming back to as an advantage of F is wholly irrelevant. Meanwhile you have to remember stupid shit like water boiling at 212, freezing at 32, and other stupid shit.