Can the US just ban Celsius from the world please?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's funny up here. We use Imperial measurements in the construction industry in the field always, and on most designs and drawings. However, some engineering firms and planners will use metric, which is really fucking annoying. Especially when you are working with something like 1-1/4" pipe and they draw it up as 32mm. I can visualize 1-1/4" pipe, pretty hard to picture what 32mm is in your head.

We talk about our weight in pounds and height in feet. But on Government documents it's in kilograms and centimeters...
Which is one of the reasons the US has not converted. While it's easy to use whatever unit on a computer in the design and engineering phase, if you specify a something in metric it doesn't mean shit to the guy in the shop who is fabricating it or putting it up in the field.

We recently did a refit at a steel mill owned by a Canadian firm. They shipped us metric size steel beams to use and it was the biggest PITA because the people in the shop had no experience to glance at X and know it was Y right off. A guy with experience can look at a piece of plate and know it's 1/2" and not 3/8" and pick it up because the bill of material calls for 1/2" without using a tape measure. If it's listed as 12 or 13mm plate it takes more time and he has to put a metric tape to it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Football fields are measured in yards, and Football is the greatest sport known to mankind. Therefore metric sucks. Nobody wants to have to go 9.144 meters for a first down. Fuck that.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Football fields are measured in yards, and Football is the greatest sport known to mankind. Therefore metric sucks. Nobody wants to have to go 9.144 meters for a first down. Fuck that.
iVKbAFgApvtXF.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Kelvin's degrees are arbitrary, but the 0 point isn't. We've yet to determine an objective way to determine degrees of temperature and since we have no known end point like celsius's boiling point, we can't divide the scale into tidy pieces from 0 to whatever.
Ferenheight's degree's are actually as good and meaningful as you can get. He defined 1 degree to be the smallest temperature change he could detect without an instrument.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We should stick with feet and inches because our carpenters are better at doing fractions in their head than Euro carpenters. That said, why in the hell do machinists/carpenters use fractions instead of decimals? You don't have to go to metric, you could just make your bolts 1", 1.1", 1.2" etc. instead of 1/16", 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", etc.

My thermometer was 8 degrees away from accurately reading in celsius this morning:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
football doesnt make any sense as a name, hes right.
And imperial measurements don't make any sense either, but that's what we have because FUCK YOU. If you don't like it you can always move to France.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I deal with nothing but metric in my day to day work. I'm a metric fanboy. Does this make me a traitor?!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Wasn't the Fahrenheit scale determined based on how liquid mercury performs under pressure?

I'm all for changing everything to metric, but regarding day-to-day temperature relevancy, F is clearly better.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I deal with nothing but metric in my day to day work. I'm a metric fanboy. Does this make me a traitor?!
Next week I'm going to change all volume and weights at work from metric to imperial. It will take me the entire week to do. Just thinking about calculating number of gene copies in a mole based on whatever 10^-9ish lbsmakes me sick.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yeah, it's pretty funny that you're all so desperate to hold onto aBritishmeasurement system.
There's a good chance that the imperial system originated in France as the lords of England were mostly french when the measurement reforms began (magna carta) due to conflicts between the anglo and norman (french) systems being used. They persisted in emulating the french in many ways for centuries after the magna carta.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's not a good sign. At the very least we are keeping an eye on you.

Timechild

Trakanon Raider
rrr_img_52218.jpg

Fields measured in metre's and they don't wear all that padding. Checkmate Imperialist

Itzena_sl

shitlord
There's a good chance that the imperial system originated in France as the lords of England were mostly french when the measurement reforms began (magna carta) due to conflicts between the anglo and norman (french) systems being used. They persisted in emulating the french in many ways for centuries after the magna carta.
Normans weren't French (Franks) btw - they were Viking overlords (Norman = North Man) of Celts (Brittany, etc. - that'swhyit's called Brittany - they were Brythonic Celts e.g. Welsh/Cornish/original non-Saxon English/etc).

And now you've learnt something today.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I know plenty about the normans, and they were basically franks by the time of the Guillaume le Conquerant. The kings of england were actually increasingly french during the later plantagenet dynasty which contributed to the nobles rising up and placing limits on the increasingly terrible foreign monarchs (magna carta). You owe the basis of britain's constitutional monarchy to the divergent culture of england and its monarch from the 11th to 15th centuries.

The kings of Jerusalem were also normans, but the word used by the islamic natives for all of the foreigners was frank because the dominant force throughout the levant were the normans.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Fields measured in metre's and they don't wear all that padding. Checkmate Imperialist
But then players can't slam their heads into things at extreme speed causing life long trauma to both parties on like every single play. Your war substitute is flawed, but better than soccer.

Also, embrace chaos. Metric is much easier to use. Where's the fun in that? Your prefixes and easy scaling are boring.