Captain Marvel (2019)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So all she does is look slightly to the right of the camera while clenching her fists?
Blue steel!
1403256784_La-magnum-di-Ben-Stiller-in-Zoolander.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Ugh. Brie is cute and all, but I've seen more curves on an action figure...of a man.

Also, I hear this movie isn't going to be an origin story, which IMO is a bit of a mistake. It's not like CM is known at all outside the comics, what are they going to do? Give us a 5 minute exposition scene to explain who the fuck she is, and who the Kree are and how she got her powers and what they are, etc etc?
They didn't explain shit in Gaurdians, who are pretty low on the scale of famous comic heroes, they just played it well and it didn't fucking matter. That's been the MO so far with Marvel, which wouldn't surprise me if they eventually brought in the Metal Men.

I also highly doubt they'll do anything that even hints at mimicking Wonder Woman, as if WB is anything to set a basis for. Only in DC vs Marvel would that be a thing. In the movieverse, they're in their own league, setting their own standards, and doing their own thing. I had hopes for BP after Winter Soldier, but they honestly dropped the ball. I have no real expectations from this, so hopefully if they at least keep it on the level, it will be plenty entertaining and fill in more of the overall story.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They didn't explain shit in Gaurdians, who are pretty low on the scale of famous comic heroes, they just played it well and it didn't fucking matter. That's been the MO so far with Marvel, which wouldn't surprise me if they eventually brought in the Metal Men.

I also highly doubt they'll do anything that even hints at mimicking Wonder Woman, as if WB is anything to set a basis for. Only in DC vs Marvel would that be a thing. In the movieverse, they're in their own league, setting their own standards, and doing their own thing. I had hopes for BP after Winter Soldier, but they honestly dropped the ball. I have no real expectations from this, so hopefully if they at least keep it on the level, it will be plenty entertaining and fill in more of the overall story.

The Guardians aren't powered superheroes. Also, they're a team, the whole first movie was the origin of the team.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Starlord is a descendant of a Celestial, capable of holding an infinity stone. Groot is a super powered tree. Rocket is an engineered creature. Gamora is an adopted and trained daughter of Thanos. Drax is able to stand absolutely still so as to become invisible.

Not powered as in comparison to what?

(*Edit: Draxx them sklounst.)

Last edited:
  • 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Starlord is a descendant of a Celestial, capable of holding an infinity stone. Groot is a super powered tree. Rocket is an engineered creature. Gamora is an adopted and trained daughter of Thanos. Draxx is able to stand absolutely still so as to become invisible.

Not powered as in comparison to what?

Holding a rock is hardly a super power. Groot is not a tree. Rocket's only "power" is fucking shit up with guns. Being a trained assassin is not a super power. I don't remember seeing anyone named Draxx.

Not powered as in comparison to Captain fucking Marvel. :p

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Dammit, quoted my own shit instead of editing, cuz someone was yacking in my fucking ear. Please delete.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
At this point we honestly have no idea how powered she is in comparison to what exists. If anything, Nick Fury is lucky she wasn't dusted by Thanos.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
At this point we honestly have no idea how powered she is in comparison to what exists. If anything, Nick Fury is lucky she wasn't dusted by Thanos.

Which is exactly why we need this movie to be, in part at least, an origin story. I guess I have to clarify that I am referring to the easily confused average moviegoer who has no idea who she is. For myself, all I really need to know is how they've changed her powers from the comics, which they love to do. And I'd rather have a short origin story than boring exposition.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
my guess based on the photos is that her origin story will be woven into the film in a series of flashbacks. Seems like a no brainer. Hopefully she's just about full comic powered to take this thing to the next level.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
nah. Kree were space Nazi's. but friendly ones!

The Nova Corp, from Gaurdians of the Galaxy, are Marvel Lanterns. The movies did remove their powers and just made them space cops in space ships though.
Oh yeah. I wonder if that will go anywhere. At the time I was thinking the infinity stone would advance their power level in a next movie and lead to basically this movie, but with NC instead of what this is.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Guardians aren't powered superheroes. Also, they're a team, the whole first movie was the origin of the team.
Also Drax and Gamora power levels weren't properly expressed. They had to later add an awkward scene where Gamora holds up a giant starship gun to remind us she is superstrength and Drax still hasn't been properly expressed, powerwise.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Also Drax and Gamora power levels weren't properly expressed. They had to later add an awkward scene where Gamora holds up a giant starship gun to remind us she is superstrength and Drax still hasn't been properly expressed, powerwise.

Which reinforces my point. If we don't know a hero's powers, limitation, and weaknesses then how are we supposed to understand the stakes of the fights? From what I remember, Gamora combat skills and agility were her only real advantages in her fight scenes.

But, like I said in the beginning, it's just my personal opinion/preference. I would much rather a short intro origin story instead of exposition or (ugh) flashbacks.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Which reinforces my point. If we don't know a hero's powers, limitation, and weaknesses then how are we supposed to understand the stakes of the fights? From what I remember, Gamora combat skills and agility were her only real advantages in her fight scenes.

But, like I said in the beginning, it's just my personal opinion/preference. I would much rather a short intro origin story instead of exposition or (ugh) flashbacks.
I remember somebody saying this about Thor. He just ripped through other fantasy things. But we never saw those fantasy things facing RL things for measure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm deeply amused Marvel appears to be using this movie to provide the backstory they never got around to for Guardians (and possibly Infinity War)...

Then again, I didn't know MCU Yondu was Kree until he said he was in GOTG2, so I'm not sure any of that backstory will actually matter.