Captain Marvel (2019)

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I won’t be seeing this in the theatre, the idea that me buying a ticket may remove the opportunity for a Female to see this hurts my soul. I won’t take that chance.

Same with buying a copy, what if a female doesn’t get to buy a copy because I did? That’s why when I pirate it I will be upstreaming it to at least 1000% to give women of the world, especially those who are financially disadvantaged due to oppression by the Patrairchy, to see it.

• 6Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 10 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
That sorta things been around a long time though and hasn’t really escalated beyond that level though. From NWA to Tipper waging war on the industry it’s always been around for our lifetimes at least.

Not saying that’s a good thing mind you...just that it always seems to stay within certain levels I guess.

This is true. The issue though is the people we relied on to check the more conservative forces that typically tried to censor before (Including in video games) are now the very people trying to censor this stuff. So there is a pretty big vacuum in terms of resistance/outrage to this. Before it used to be part of pop culture to fight against the "old christian men" who wanted to silence things they were scared of, and you'd see that sentiment in major media, even on things like the Daily Show and other major institutions.

Now Comedy Central has shows like this....(Try to imagine the era of Stewart having a show advocating censorship based on skin color...)

The main problem is people need to realize the groups they used count on, even like the ACLU, have been hollowed out now and just won't defend this stuff anymore like they used to (Literally the ACLU won't defend "some forms of speech"..The ACLU...). There is a reason why Comedians are being targeted now when they used to be largely immune before. Because these defenses are just impotent now. The watchers on the wall are the ones opening the gates.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
Oh god, this shit again. This is not how religions and cults work, at all. Religions become stronger the less they are fucked with, because they grow through in-group affirmation of principles. They actually weaken with out-group challenges. We have a shit fucking ton of studies showing that people willing to proselytize views in groups where everyone else does not react will eventually win over the group. Your attitude "ignore it and it will go away" is what let this cancer eat through academia. Do you think anyone challenged gender studies professors? No. They all took your advice. And within 30 years they had their own "journals" (Scripture) and were some of the most well funded, largest departments on Campus because they RELENTLESSLY pushed their views.

People like YOU validate her views. Because when companies pimp her out, and she walks out smugly to speak and NO ONE pushes back at all, she still goes back stage and gets a bunch of high fives from fellow cult members about how brave and powerful she was--so they have positive social reinforcement, and zero negative consequences, which only facilitates more adherence to social heuristics that produce such amazing outcomes. Your advice is the worst advice anyone dealing with this can take. It has no basis in reality, and only serves to somehow make your impotence feel like a strength that makes you better than those with the balls to push back.

Edit: Also, you're wrong about even the money thing. Look the Roseane fiasco. Plenty of sources indicate the executives knew they'd lose money, and even regretted the choice to fire her because of what a fucking gold mine she was--but the ideology required it. That is what makes this new religion so dangerous, it is making people irrational enough to make them less risk adverse in the face of potential wealth loss. When major companies start PICKING SIDES in political debates which almost always is a net negative in terms of value (Which is why companies almost never fucking did it before), you should understand there is more at play here than money. The only thing you even got remotely right in your entire stream of nonsense was that yes, all of these people have a kind of self fulfilling excuse as to why they fail--its the same pattern any religious person (Or idiot in general who can't understand complex systems) uses to avoid potentially finding fault with their idiotic ideology, blame everything else. That's going to happen regardless of its spoken about.

I'm not even sure how you can be a functional human being, and watch how the media strips context and scours for outrage evidence and believe somehow the 'reality' the response would have had any effect on anything. For fuck sake we just watched a bunch of school boys get turned into Nazis by well known journalists because they smiled at a native American. Do you really think the REALITY of what happens means a god damn thing to these people? No. The less you speak, the STRONGER their position is, because major media has drunk the fucking Kool Aid, and they will make 2+2=5 to get their white male heternormative devil, regardless of your actions. The only way to stop it is to ridicule them for being delusional. But if NO ONE speaks out, like your amazing advice says? No one will objectively know if the Emporer actually has a set of new clothes, but they will be forced to believe it rather than risk seeming delusional themselves. Talking about this stuff is the only way to prevent that, its the only way to maintain an objective view of facts and keep these idiots in check.
^^
He's right, you know

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
^^
He's right, you know
Lithose Lithose was right about something!?

giphy.gif

• 4Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Saw it. It was alright, the dialogue was the best. I should just post full spoilers here because none of you are going to watch this, right?

Overall on par with a decent movie for a Marvel Origin, which means it'd be a fine standalone, but held to the higher standing it's a bit lacking. The action was better than Black Panther, better dialogue, but weirdly worse world building.

Overall as a movie I'd say 7.5/10, putting it in the high B-tier Marvel with Black Panther, below the Ant Mans, and above basically anything "_______ 2" besides Cap 2, obviously.

• 4Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
some rumors going around that bob iger is pissed with brie larson. allegedly elizabeth olsen is as well, since her and scarlet have been in the MCU for so long and are getting relegated to side characters while brie comes up out of nowhere and has been given 7 films (SEVEN) and is supposed to be the new face of the MCU

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Saw it. It was alright, the dialogue was the best. I should just post full spoilers here because none of you are going to watch this, right?

Overall on par with a decent movie for a Marvel Origin, which means it'd be a fine standalone, but held to the higher standing it's a bit lacking. The action was better than Black Panther, better dialogue, but weirdly worse world building.

Overall as a movie I'd say 7.5/10, putting it in the high B-tier Marvel with Black Panther, below the Ant Mans, and above basically anything "_______ 2" besides Cap 2, obviously.

You thought Black Panther was better than Ant Man? Okay... I guess...

Edit: I r no reed sumtims

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

I mean I'm gonna watch it for the same reason I said it'll do well, people are committed at this point. I'm not skipping the penultimate entry to this story. Not gonna pay for it though.

Sterling

El Presidente
You thought Black Panther was better than Ant Man? Okay... I guess...
He specifically says below the Antmans. Don't think I'd put BP above GotG2 either, although I freely admit that I think I liked GotG2 more than a lot of people here did.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
What is that thing?

That is John Walker Flynt in his new brave and beautiful life as a Woman. She is beautiful and if you do not find her attractive you are transphobic and a piece of human shit.

Source: am transphobic and a piece of human shit

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
That is John Walker Flynt in his new brave and beautiful life as a Woman. She is beautiful and if you do not find her attractive you are transphobic and a piece of human shit.

Source: am transphobic and a piece of human shit

I have seen it before, I was just expressing my disgust. I should of chosen my words better.

• 1Worf

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
some rumors going around that bob iger is pissed with brie larson. allegedly elizabeth olsen is as well, since her and scarlet have been in the MCU for so long and are getting relegated to side characters while brie comes up out of nowhere and has been given 7 films (SEVEN) and is supposed to be the new face of the MCU
I can’t make heads or tails of what you’re saying.

Bob is pissed with a broad so he gives her 7 featuring movies?

And he’s pissed with Olsen so he relegates her to background ensemble only?