Car Buying Help

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
RS3 is probably coming over. We had the B7 chassis RS4 but not the B5 or the B8/8.5 RS4s.

We don't get any sportback A3/S3/RS3s.
frown.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Would you guys ever buy a used WRX? My concern with it is someone would have beaten it to hell even if the outside looks pretty decent. They also seem to retain value so you don't save a whole ton of cash.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
This girl bought a used WRX and got screwed big time. She bought it before taking it to a shop to look at it. When she finally got it into a shop they show her how its all rusted out. So if you do get a used one, take it to a shop you trust before buying it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Would you guys ever buy a used WRX? My concern with it is someone would have beaten it to hell even if the outside looks pretty decent. They also seem to retain value so you don't save a whole ton of cash.
Yeah, so many people who buy those things think that they are rally-car drivers and beat them to hell.

If you aren't really saving much going used, why not just get new? Once you factor in warranty, peace-of-mind, and the potential for cheaper financing, it seems like the better value.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I agree with the others, I would not buy a used one unless it was very much older, low mileage and checked out as a beater/project car. I also would not buy a new one without an extended powertrain warranty. One turbo issue and it's paid for. I've never had large reliability problems with my Subies over the years but FI just drives up the chances of an expensive issue. I'm not 100% on FA20 FI reliability though, it'ssupposedto be way more solid in that department so maybe you're safer there even.

Vinen

God is dead
I agree with the others, I would not buy a used one unless it was very much older, low mileage and checked out as a beater/project car. I also would not buy a new one without an extended powertrain warranty. One turbo issue and it's paid for. I've never had large reliability problems with my Subies over the years but FI just drives up the chances of an expensive issue. I'm not 100% on FA20 FI reliability though, it'ssupposedto be way more solid in that department so maybe you're safer there even.
Bought my WRX (2008) as a lease return (~32000 miles). Never had an issue with it @~ 90,000 miles now.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Bought my WRX as a lease return (~32000 miles). Never had an issue with it.
I mean, that's checked out though. Also, not saying you will have issues, but mine had a tiny ass oil leak from some gasket or something in the turbo that they had to tear the whole thing apart to find.

Guess it depends on market too, though. Admittedly it seems like they are maybe depreciating a bit more nowadays and we'll see once the Focus RS comes to town.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2013 or newer Fusion Hybrid. Does anyone have any tips on what I should look for with these when I begin test driving and such? Are there any pitfalls with Ford's hybrid system?

Vinen

God is dead
I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2013 or newer Fusion Hybrid. Does anyone have any tips on what I should look for with these when I begin test driving and such? Are there any pitfalls with Ford's hybrid system?
How have Hybrid's in general been with the used aspect? Battery replacement, etc?

Having Test Drove a Ford Fusion Hybrid I can honestly say it's an excellent car if they replaced the shit Microsoft based interface which lagged to fuck and back. That is my one-bitch is that the entertainment console is outright trash in the 2013 model (I test drive one last-last-last time I thought about buying a new car)

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Any quick and dirty rules for negotiating used car sales?

Been eyeing a 2012 Mini Cooper. I've been talking to the internet sales manager through phone/email and so far she doesn't seem to be willing to come down on the sticker price. I'm not sure if she can't or if I should get with another salesperson. Any insight?

Thanks bros.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
All hybrids need a battery replacement after 5-10 years. You will typically only see 5 years in really hot places like Arizona; for most it will be closer to 10 years. Those replacements costs 2-4k. So if you plan on keeping the car for a long time know that a big expensive is down the road.

Vinen

God is dead
All hybrids need a battery replacement after 5-10 years. You will typically only see 5 years in really hot places like Arizona; for most it will be closer to 10 years. Those replacements costs 2-4k. So if you plan on keeping the car for a long time know that a big expensive is down the road.
Cheaper then I thought.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Has there been any news on the electric car front? Like anything where people are seeing breakthroughs and price drops in the next few years? A Tesla is basically my dream car but completely unreasonable in price for my situation. And I don't want to look like a dick eater in the other electric cars who have decided that looking gay as fuck is the best way to keep oil in business. I just wasn't sure if any of these Tesla patents being opened meant good news for the consumer.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Has there been any news on the electric car front? Like anything where people are seeing breakthroughs and price drops in the next few years? A Tesla is basically my dream car but completely unreasonable in price for my situation. And I don't want to look like a dick eater in the other electric cars who have decided that looking gay as fuck is the best way to keep oil in business. I just wasn't sure if any of these Tesla patents being opened meant good news for the consumer.
Your best bet is probably going to be waiting for the Tesla 3 or whatever they end up calling it. It's probably still 3-4 years away. I don't think you're going to see any halfway decent, mid range all electrics from the traditional manufacturers for a lot longer. Basically at this point it's either a fucking Leaf, a Tesla Model S, or something like a BMW i8, Porsche 918 etc. Nothing in the middle other than some plug-in hybrids.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Wonder if GEICO MBI will cover that?

Dis

Confirmed Male
Any quick and dirty rules for negotiating used car sales?

Been eyeing a 2012 Mini Cooper. I've been talking to the internet sales manager through phone/email and so far she doesn't seem to be willing to come down on the sticker price. I'm not sure if she can't or if I should get with another salesperson. Any insight?

Thanks bros.
PM what you are looking at, and your location. I can get you a quote for used mini. We own several MINI dealerships.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The market is going to get much more serious over the next few years with the big boys releasing vehicles that are much more viable range wise for longer commutes. I think you'll see economy of scale and efficiency gains start to impact price / range very soon as competition starts to get serious.

Then again, oil being in the dumps could put things on hold until things stabilize some. Although I doubt that will be the case for long.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Personal advice: don't buy a used MINI unless you are paying it off before the warranty expires. It's not like the repairs were excessive, but holy shit does the BMW lineage come out in spades for parts.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I test drove a 2014 - was really pretty awesome for a hybrid. It was composed like a real sedan instead of the shitbox early gen Prius I had driven years ago. I also recently drove a Hyundai (think Elantra Blue or something something) several months before that and it was OK, but the Fusion was just a sedan with hybrid tech, which is the best kind of car. If you debadged the dumb parts no one would even know really.

If you have a commute where there are HOV lanes that allow AFVs, I would seriously consider dropping the extra coin for the PIH version, though. I think there's still a small tax rebate on them (some states probably have some too still) but that could be a huge thing, the gas savings notwithstanding.

Vinen

God is dead
Personal advice: don't buy a used MINI unless you are paying it off before the warranty expires. It's not like the repairs were excessive, but holy shit does the BMW lineage come out in spades for parts.
Driving a Mini is one of those cars that makes you look like a walking pile of terrible decisions. They used to have character now they just look like shit.

AND ROFL at their SUV's. Dumbest, looking, car, ever.