Car Buying Help

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Driving a Mini is one of those cars that makes you look like a walking pile of terrible decisions. They used to have character now they just look like shit.

AND ROFL at their SUV's. Dumbest, looking, car, ever.
Their newer models definitely look awful. I like the plain old cooper; no need for all that extra nonsense.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I test drove a 2014 - was really pretty awesome for a hybrid. It was composed like a real sedan instead of the shitbox early gen Prius I had driven years ago. I also recently drove a Hyundai (think Elantra Blue or something something) several months before that and it was OK, but the Fusion was just a sedan with hybrid tech, which is the best kind of car. If you debadged the dumb parts no one would even know really.

If you have a commute where there are HOV lanes that allow AFVs, I would seriously consider dropping the extra coin for the PIH version, though. I think there's still a small tax rebate on them (some states probably have some too still) but that could be a huge thing, the gas savings notwithstanding.
Thanks for the advice. I actually found a 2014 Accord Hybrid that's close in price and mileage so I may end up with that.

I think I have to buy new to qualify for the federal PIH tax credit, which I think will just break even or come out slightly ahead in the long run. I don't get any state benefits since I live in Ohio though. Just free parking at certain places in Cincinnati or something dumb. I think if I just get a used hybrid that's already taken the depreciation hit I should be good to go.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...AND ROFL at their SUV's. Dumbest, looking, car, ever.
Meet MUCH MUCH worse!

rrr_img_107412.jpg

Dis

Confirmed Male
Eh I forgot to mention that if you shopGroup 1 Automotive | New Vehicles for sale in Houston, TX 77024<---This not local to Houston, this is nationwide, coast to coast. We also have dealerships in the UK and Brazil, so let me know, I can get you pricing there as well if you are located there.

I can get you the employee pricing on those vehicles as well. All you need to do is PM the stock# to me, I can get you the numbers on it. No hassle of driving or negotiating, just numbers thats it. If you are interested in it, I can pass your info along to the dealership that has it or that is close by to you. At the very least it gives you option. Happy to help, or at least give a good starting point.

Dis

Confirmed Male
How little can you fuck me on a 2008 cts with a blown tranny on trade in?
I dont do trade ins bro. I just get you pricing on a vehicle, that part is firm. The other part is all you, too many tools for trade in nowadays, IE CARMAX, KBB, and other CARMAX clones who give cash for trade ins without you needing to buy a vehicle. We do that as well, but not sure if we do non-driveable cars

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Along those lines, I was getting some numbers for a trade in at a dealership and they gave me a stupid low number. Went to CARMAX and they quoted me 2x what the dealership was offering. F that noise.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Dude got super shady and was whining because I had my own financing on the Accord. Then wanted a $500 deposit to hold the car for me. When I told him I'll just chance it since it's already been on the lot for 60 days he said, "Just give me a credit card in case, I won't charge it." I noped right on out of that deal. Who knows what kind of shit they'd try to pull once I wasted my time and drove there.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Along those lines, I was getting some numbers for a trade in at a dealership and they gave me a stupid low number. Went to CARMAX and they quoted me 2x what the dealership was offering. F that noise.
I still try and sell private whenever practicable. Carmax still has to make money.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Anyone help with pricing my 08 R32? From edmunds etc my area seems 12k to 16k ish, an autotrader instant quote that asked a lot of questions put me at 9.8k. I have a dented in quarter panel from a dipshit neighbor, $800 repair according to ins, but that was to replace. May be poppable. 115k Miles, windshield cracked. Some burs from finding curbs late night in the dark on the wheels. Otherwise in pretty good shape.
Have 4 payments left on it, orig bought it used in '10 with 50k on it.

Found a local tundra for way better price than I thought they go for, 2015 SR5 Tundra with 6k miles for 36k, then another listing of a black SR5 Tundra 2014 with 10k miles, (Not sure if this is aftermarket or what, but has the kinda added ridge around wheelwells with exaggerated bolts and a front push bar with LED lights obv aftermarket) For 40k.

Hoping to get the 15 down to 34 or 32 based on a few other price guides I've seen, both are new listings. But are pretty much what I want, a very new low miles vehicle someone ditched to not affording payment. Really biggest thing would be if I can get some sweet financing, x years of 0% so I can pay it off aggressively or at least only a couple % not that ass 7% default rate they show on dealership websites. Unless something strange has happened, my credit should be 720+

Only big neg besides plates is cost of gas/mileage. On average 60/70 mile round trip for work, I had been hoping to get an Elio or find some other super cheap decent mileage vehicle to commute and save miles on a truck. Sadly I wont do motorcycle which would have been probably best option.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
They only do 0% on new and normal low years, tundras look sweet but they have not been upgraded in years the mileage so bad compared to the new tech in Ford/Chevy. If you think your going to use the truck at all for that commute I would recommend you keep looking.

Ps- fix your windshield.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
It's cracked up the side, been that way for 3 years and not in my sightlines. Thin crack.

Ya the mileage is the saddest part. But I like that some of its stayed simple. The interior I like, esp more than Ford. Reasonable power. Big thing is I think Dodge only other one that fits cabin vs bed balance I want. I'd be a little stronger for the other options but I'm already being smart and not letting myself go raptor. Ecoboosts are I think a little up in the air still for track record. I hate all the fords I looked at. I like some silverado's but the overlarge wheel opening is kinda comical and can't not see it on the road. Wife and I are both kinda anti Chevy/GMC though anyways.

So I need to get my ass to a dodge dealership and see if that changes anything. The Rebel we were interested in but when instead of anticipated 36k it came out to low 40's even modestly optioned....

Also yeah Elio late next year if not delayed again or canceled. : \

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's cracked up the side, been that way for 3 years and not in my sightlines. Thin crack.

Ya the mileage is the saddest part. But I like that some of its stayed simple. The interior I like, esp more than Ford. Reasonable power. Big thing is I think Dodge only other one that fits cabin vs bed balance I want. I'd be a little stronger for the other options but I'm already being smart and not letting myself go raptor. Ecoboosts are I think a little up in the air still for track record. I hate all the fords I looked at. I like some silverado's but the overlarge wheel opening is kinda comical and can't not see it on the road. Wife and I are both kinda anti Chevy/GMC though anyways.

So I need to get my ass to a dodge dealership and see if that changes anything. The Rebel we were interested in but when instead of anticipated 36k it came out to low 40's even modestly optioned....

Also yeah Elio late next year if not delayed again or canceled. : \
I thought they were finally redoing the Tacoma or Tundra this year, maybe hold out for that.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
The Tacoma, I originally was hot for those. Then they did the rework and ruined the appearance from what I liked and failed to do anything meaningful in the engine department.

I was looking, Ram Sports and the like 42k, but at least in right size etc. But 1-2 mpg better ish. Ford Ecoboosts, can't find anything I like both exterior/interior and is 4-6mpg, decent but not like 10mpg difference.

Really for someone that doesn't need too many thrills and stuff, I think the basic Tundra fits me, I can still douchebag it up with some aftermarket stuff and it'll work. Though as above I just need to figure out how to best and quickly max my R32 trade in/sale. (Prolly not private sale, but trade in while buying car vs possibly take it to autotrader/carmax while buy elsewhere), drop price a little, or again biggest thing get best financing.

Just wish these 2 I'm in love with new ultra low miles I saw in 3 months as this week is wedding etc. So both complicated time, and a bit of expense getting laid out there.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The Tacoma, I originally was hot for those. Then they did the rework and ruined the appearance from what I liked and failed to do anything meaningful in the engine department.

I was looking, Ram Sports and the like 42k, but at least in right size etc. But 1-2 mpg better ish. Ford Ecoboosts, can't find anything I like both exterior/interior and is 4-6mpg, decent but not like 10mpg difference.

Really for someone that doesn't need too many thrills and stuff, I think the basic Tundra fits me, I can still douchebag it up with some aftermarket stuff and it'll work. Though as above I just need to figure out how to best and quickly max my R32 trade in/sale. (Prolly not private sale, but trade in while buying car vs possibly take it to autotrader/carmax while buy elsewhere), drop price a little, or again biggest thing get best financing.

Just wish these 2 I'm in love with new ultra low miles I saw in 3 months as this week is wedding etc. So both complicated time, and a bit of expense getting laid out there.
What do you need a pickup for exactly? Unless you're pulling 8K+ trailers or hauling stuff every weekend there are probably capable-enough SUVs, like a 4Runner SR5 or something. Just more options at least.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Abhor SUV's though I like the bigger highlander.

As I said I'd maybe consider another hot hatch VW. Hell *almost* the new ford hot hatch that isnt out yet. But even in my car I'm sick of the low ride height. She misses a truck, I like the tall ride, in Colorado it's nice for getting on/off I25 onto frontage when it's deadlocked with no exit for 5 miles. Some of it is appearance/machismo I admit.

I do fairly regularly move some large aquarium/furniture and help people out with that kinda thing. I'd be quite happy to camp in it on some of my longer work trips that are multiple day.

Is it being just like the rest of masses using a truck as the new suv? Yes a bit, but I would get a bit more use out of it than some of the other grocery getting truck owners.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well unfortunately you are just going to pay out the ass for a new truck... but you know, Raptor.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
36k isn't bad at all as far as my budget... And yes I do consider it partly aluxury/hobby buy.

One thing I think I might miss is on like the teams sounds odd 8 speed transmission. Not sure how hot they are, imagine a big part of the 3mpg advantage over same engine sized tundra.

Need to be less dumb and just re read thread since no one piping up with actual tips.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well, I mean your options are:

late model decent truck
new truck at absurd price for value (imo)
Ford Raptor

To be honest, I really wanted a pickup but A) they are all freaking massive now and B) I could not stomach a 26k+ truck having anoptionfor powered windows.

Also, my Jeep has a 9 speed and it is pointless, I've never seen 9 speed. Once you get past a certain point mere wind resistance keeps the requirement for torque above what the high gears will allow. Even 8th gear isveryrare (basically only 70-72mph, no cargo/2- passengers, level or slightly down hill). Everything else is 7. I wouldn't gettoocaught up in gearmania for something that has the aerodynamic profile of a brick wall.

I would probably rate my favorite new trucks right now (no order just options/price/value/cool ratio) in no particular order:

Colorado Z71
Raptor
F150 crew w/ options

Ram are too ostentatious IMO, the Rebel is tempting but hell, for that I'd just go Powerwagon for legit O/R or a Raptor. Like has been said Toyota is old and tired right now. Nissan, not too sure but I think Titan is due for an overhaul as well. I just don't think there are any 'fantastic' options in the truck segment value wise, they are riding a popularity boom once again.