Car Buying Help

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If anyone gets intimidated on the road by someone's vehicle has to be the world's biggest pansy. What the fuck do you think they're going to do just ram you off the road for no reason?
It gets their attention when fucks won't get out of the left lane to tailgate them and fill their rear view mirror if it's a small car. Not that I ever do it.

They used to have lots of billboards in TX when the law came out reminding people it didn't matter if the person behind you wanted to go 100mph you needed to move over.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I can't stand how large pickups are becoming, we have a Ford f150 in the shop right now and it's the size of a f350 from 10 years ago. Tacomas are freaking massive now too.
We bought one of our site supers a fully loaded Canyon or Colorado or whatever (the GM one). He loves it. He doesn't really haul much material for work, and for personal use he just got rid of a big trailer so he didn't need a big diesel anymore. Sure the seats in the back aren't as spacious as they are in a full size truck, but how often are you actually using them with two adults back there? It's way better on gas, easier to park because it's 6 inches narrower and a foot or two shorter than the equivalent Sierra, and is actually a decent looking truck (he picked a horrid color and box cover and ruined it, though). The only downside is that you don't really save a ton of money moving from a Sierra to a Colorado, if they're fairly equivalent trim wise. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was less of a savings than expected.

We'll likely move our PM's and other site supers over to similar trucks as the current full size ones age and get sold off. Like you said, full size trucks have just gotten too big and 98% of the time you don't need the size, power or payload. Even for a construction company.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't understand why 99% of the people who have pickup trucks decided to get them. A family member of mine said he was tired of being "bullied on the road" when he had a normal sedan. Now he has an F-150 and says nobody bullies him anymore.

What the fuck is he talking about?
Usually I hear that from women. My wife went from her massive Dodge (Full max cab + 8 foot bed.) To a juke. Was getting pissed about being cut off and a host of perceived slights. I've driven with her, just bad driver.

That said I really really appreciate the ride height for seeing what's going on. And I do see some people in small cars intimidated though that's a poor point for decision making on a truck.

Funny my friends in reply to the truck posted that stupid WOW truck commercial where it's like a red tacoma running up to a dragon.
Also showed me this for some crazy dumb blingy shit to (not) do.My dream truck on Pinterest | Toyota Tundra, Toyota and Trucks

Borzak

My girl friend hates it when she goes to somewhere and two trucks park on the side of her and she can't see to back out. I told her to get a truck.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Prob gonna trade in cts for a subaru, although I don't like the idea of driving a subaru at all I'm swinging to a utilitarian stance on vehicles.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My girl friend hates it when she goes to somewhere and two trucks park on the side of her and she can't see to back out. I told her to get a truck.
Women look when they back out? When did this start?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you live in the Midwest or South, damn near everyone owns large pickups and SUVs. If you're the dude driving a Honda Civic around, you're going to have a bad time if you ever get into an accident. Odds are good that the other vehicle is going to be 2-3x your size.

I drive an SUV, but I'm thinking about a pickup for my next vehicle. At this point I could never go back to a regular car/sedan, they just sit too low and you can't see anything around you on the highway when a large majority of other vehicles on the road are sitting up twice as high as you are.

I'm sure this is completely opposite of the normal driving experience on the coasts where in general, the cities are more dense(with smaller/older roads and very limited parking) and gas prices are higher.

Just looking out into the parking lot for my small office building(8 people in here), the vehicles lined up are : Chevy Silverado, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition, Ford F150, Toyota Tunda, Toyota Venza(large, but low-sitting SUV), Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Mustang, Dodge Grand Caravan.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've lived in Ohio almost my entire life and my line up of cars includes: Suzuki Samurai, Toyota MR2, Dodge Neon, Honda Civic. Never once have I felt "Oh god I need a big car to protect me from all these other big cars!" The only car that gave me unsafe feelings was the Samurai at highway speeds since it could easily get whipped around my wind gusts and it red lined 5th gear at about 63 mph.

Also my Neon got totaled because I was involved in a head-on collision with a big ass (old) Jeep Cherokee. Myself and my passenger had no injuries but their passenger had to go to the hospital ... but that is mostly because the white trash retard wasn't wearing a seat belt and his forehead slammed into the glass. Cars these days are pretty fucking safe using the "If I get into a crashIwant to live" as justification for getting a giant truck is not only so incredibly "me me" focused but is also flawed logic.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I've lived in Ohio almost my entire life and my line up of cars includes: Suzuki Samurai, Toyota MR2, Dodge Neon, Honda Civic. Never once have I felt "Oh god I need a big car to protect me from all these other big cars!" The only car that gave me unsafe feelings was the Samurai at highway speeds since it could easily get whipped around my wind gusts and it red lined 5th gear at about 63 mph.

Also my Neon got totaled because I was involved in a head-on collision with a big ass (old) Jeep Cherokee. Myself and my passenger had no injuries but their passenger had to go to the hospital ... but that is mostly because the white trash retard wasn't wearing a seat belt and his forehead slammed into the glass. Cars these days are pretty fucking safe using the "If I get into a crashIwant to live" as justification for getting a giant truck is not only so incredibly "me me" focused but is also flawed logic.
Well, physics are still physics, if a 6000lb escalade hits your 2600lb neon, it's going to be proportionally worse than if you were also driving a 6000lb escalade. Thats just life. Yes the cars are pretty safe but physics gonna physics.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Well, physics are still physics, if a 6000lb escalade hits your 2600lb neon, it's going to be proportionally worse than if you were also driving a 6000lb escalade. Thats just life. Yes the cars are pretty safe but physics gonna physics.
Depends on how the manufacturers design their cars, less to do with total weight and more to do with crumple zones and shit. Sure your car might get more fucked in the accident but you'll walk away from it unscathed. Hondas and Toyota just fold up around the cabin buy the cabin is fine. I prefer BMW and Volvos for their design, they use a lot of high strength metals that make the cars tanks.

Bros need their 4wd F250 so they can go over speedboat in their track home neoghborhood.

Tenks

While SUVs do tend to be safer it doesn't appear to be nearly as wildly disproportionate as you may think. The only good site I can find with confidence scores is the following. Some of the "Most Deaths / Least Deaths" is a bit misleading since they don't appear to account for the number of vehicles on the road. So naturally a rarer car will have fewer deaths than a common car.

Driver death rates

Tenks

Depends on how the manufacturers design their cars, less to do with total weight and more to do with crumple zones and shit. Sure your car might get more fucked in the accident but you'll walk away from it unscathed. Hondas and Toyota just fold up around the cabin buy the cabin is fine. I prefer BMW and Volvos for their design, they use a lot of high strength metals that make the cars tanks.

Bros need their 4wd F250 so they can go over speedboat in their track home neoghborhood.
Yeah thats what I was getting at. In a vacuum and acting like this is the 1960's where cars are made of immovable steel yeah the higher weight car will win out over the lower weight car. But these days crash engineering physics is so good that even a smaller car can be relatively safe. Physics will always physics and that is what the crash engineers manipulate to maximize safety.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Suggestions for a car that fits 3 children 2 kid seats and 1 baby rear facing? I'm trading in my Cadillac and the guy in me wants to stay sporty. Been looking at Suburu's and I'm not sure if the kids will sit comfortable. Price range is around 30kish prefer to go lower, due to newer house and budget. Android Auto would be a huge plus. Could use some advice.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah thats what I was getting at. In a vacuum and acting like this is the 1960's where cars are made of immovable steel yeah the higher weight car will win out over the lower weight car. But these days crash engineering physics is so good that even a smaller car can be relatively safe. Physics will always physics and that is what the crash engineers manipulate to maximize safety.
All cars on the road these days, if recently made are very safe as compared to the past. But Cad is right about mass/size. Two pickups getting in to an accident with each other is likely to result in similar injuries to both occupants as two small cars in an accident with each other. But in the case of a pickup getting in to an accident with a small car, the people in the small car are more likely to have serious injuries or to be killed than someone in the truck. I read an article recently that was about some research demonstrating that pretty conclusively. I'll see if I can find it.

That said, trucks and SUVs do tend to have higher single vehicle accident death rates. Whether because they roll or lose control easier, or because behaviorally people feel safer/invincible in them and are less likely to wear seat belts.

That being said, I personally cannot stand driving big vehicles on a daily basis. I'm fine driving a mid sized wagon even though I'm in pickup country. I can see why people would feel a bit intimidated when a big truck's grill is taking up half their rear view mirror. And in my experience, it's definitely big, jacked-up pickups that are driving like assholes on the road, as opposed to guys driving high end sports/luxury cars. But I tend to not let it bother me.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Suggestions for a car that fits 3 children 2 kid seats and 1 baby rear facing? I'm trading in my Cadillac and the guy in me wants to stay sporty. Been looking at Suburu's and I'm not sure if the kids will sit comfortable. Price range is around 30kish prefer to go lower, due to newer house and budget. Android Auto would be a huge plus. Could use some advice.
Not sure how much space you need exactly. Sounds like a Forester. Get the 2.0XT if you go that route. Should be able to get a premium for $27,000.

If you have a third row type situation, I think a new Pilot can accommodate that, but you'd have to get a pretty basic one to be around $30,000.

Not sure about their tech compatibilities.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That being said, I personally cannot stand driving big vehicles on a daily basis. I'm fine driving a mid sized wagon even though I'm in pickup country. I can see why people would feel a bit intimidated when a big truck's grill is taking up half their rear view mirror. And in my experience, it's definitely big, jacked-up pickups that are driving like assholes on the road, as opposed to guys driving high end sports/luxury cars. But I tend to not let it bother me.
Try being a Canadian that moved to Texas. Everybody AND their mom drives a fucking jacked up pickup. There's a chick at work that is probably barely a 100lbs wet, and she drives an F-250 with the double wheels at the rear. They all drive like they fucking own the road, speed, and change lanes waayy too fast for a vehicle of that height. They also make sure to park in the "compact car" spots as a big "hi I'm a jackoff" notice to other drivers. I really don't get it though.. I had to drive one for a few weeks when I moved here and I fail to see what is enjoyable about them. They aren't fast, corner like shit, handle like shit, park like shit, and eat gas like it's going out of style. The only positive is that you can see the road in front of you because all the other jackoffs are also driving pickups. I just don't get the allure unless you're a gardener, work in construction, or throw a dead deer in the back a few times a year.. But most of these "Texas edition" and "King Ranch edition" super-pickups I see are immaculate and probably haven't seen anything more than a few bags from Whole Foods in the back.

Borzak

Everyone at work drives a truck since your job pretty much depends on it. One guy had his wife's car when he was in the shop. He drove it out to a call at the Exxon refinery. Bad move to show up in a prius. He couldn't jump the curb to get a parking spot. You don't park "in the lot" you park on site next to whatever they are working.

He had to drive back to the office and borrow a truck. He still hears shit about from the guys in the field a couple of years later. The really funny part is you get a corporate Exxon card that gives you a discount on gas.

But let's say you live in town. You hunt a dozen times a year, or go out to the woods/national forest or whatever. Need to haul plywood 4 times a year or whatever. What are you going to do? Rent a vehicle just to go hunting for the weekened, yeah right.

It's like people who only buy cars that are made to drive in really urban areas. What do you do if you want to go out of town, rent a car?

Borzak

Try being a Canadian that moved to Texas. Everybody AND their mom drives a fucking jacked up pickup. There's a chick at work that is probably barely a 100lbs wet, and she drives an F-250 with the double wheels at the rear. They all drive like they fucking own the road, speed, and change lanes waayy too fast for a vehicle of that height. They also make sure to park in the "compact car" spots as a big "hi I'm a jackoff" notice to other drivers. I really don't get it though.. I had to drive one for a few weeks when I moved here and I fail to see what is enjoyable about them. They aren't fast, corner like shit, handle like shit, park like shit, and eat gas like it's going out of style. The only positive is that you can see the road in front of you because all the other jackoffs are also driving pickups. I just don't get the allure unless you're a gardener, work in construction, or throw a dead deer in the back a few times a year.. But most of these "Texas edition" and "King Ranch edition" super-pickups I see are immaculate and probably haven't seen anything more than a few bags from Whole Foods in the back.
You left off ability to mount a grill guard. Llano county in the hill country has the most deer to vehicle colissions per county in the entire country. I swear to god after season 1/2 get on one side, and 1/2 get on the other side of the road. Then they run across and swap stories of who made it thru season only to get killed by a vehicle.

Not unsual for me to see 50 deer a day on my <5 minute commute to work in the neighborhood alone.

Tenks

My friend who lived in Ohio with me and is now in Washington has family in Texas. Dallas, specifically. He says he's never seen a community of people more concerned with their outward appearance of wealth and prosperity in his life. I don't know if it is true having never been to Dallas. I know he says his uncle is one of those guys who lives in a crappy studio apartment but purchased the huge ass truck because I guess it is something you are required to do.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
new landrover discover sports are sexy
I drive an LR4. (Discovery 4 in Europe)

The new Discovery Sport replaces the outgoing LR2. Pretty much the bottom rung of the Land Rover lineup. It's a shitty underpowered soccer mom "truck".

It also holds 4th in CRs worst cars of 2015.
"Flat footed engine and a transmission that is unrefined. Handling is 'lumbering' and the entertainment system seems to be from another age."
The true Discovery (LR5) replacement is due as a 2017 model. What I am most interested in is the Defender replacement that is coming after the Discovery. We should see its return for US shores, finally.