Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
I'd consider clicky buttons and dials to still be the best, just closer to your hands

a.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I first thought the INT button said TNT. Yes I'd like to drop TNT at random times to keep people on the road on their toes. Thank you very much.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
120V is hardly lethal. Lower voltage means more amps and hotter wires, so more houses on fire. Well, it'd be offset by the lower power consumption of led bulbs.
Volts aren't what kills you, it's amps. 0.1-0.2A is lethal. You can take 10,000V at 0.01A.

Pretty sure the headlights are halogen. Alternator has been checked twice, belt is fine, proper tension etc.
If the bulbs are halogen and still flickering at idle, you have too much draw on power, the engine isn't idling high enough, the alterator is going bad or not putting out enough amps, belt isn't torsioned high enough or slipping, undersized pulleys, the bulb is shit or the wrong wattage, or there's a poor/loose wiring connection somewhere.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Volts aren't what kills you, it's amps. 0.1-0.2A is lethal. You can take 10,000V at 0.01A.

This is technically true but since you have a fixed resistance the two are directly related. I = E/R The only way you can take 10,000 volts is if you're wearing 4" thick rubber shoes or if the source isn't capable of delivering the current in which case the voltage will drop. There are things that can reduce your resistance though, such as having wet skin, not wearing shoes, touching a grounded piece of steel, etc. in which case 120V can definitely be lethal. 12V really can't though, unless you stick electrodes into your heart or something. Also DC takes much more current to kill you because it doesn't put your heart into fibrillation. The only way to die of a DC shock is if it's enough current to cook your insides.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have to say the move to touch screens in cars sounded cool, but in practice it's proven to be pretty dumb imho. Had a new A6 loaner while my car is in the shop and the whole thing is touch screen, which looks cool, but not being able to use muscle memory and tactile feedback like you would a knob forces you to take your eyes off the road for every little thing.

I love the screen in the Tesla. I use the steering wheel for just about everything (you can adjust climate temp, radio volume, skip songs on stream, etc etc all from the wheel) but when I need to dig into the screen for nav or whatever it is WAY faster than dicking around with those stupid mouse contraptions on the Lexus/German cars.

All screen with good steering wheel controls is the best thing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Steering controls is basically a requirement for every car I own. I find it fascinating lcd touch screen are ok but in RI if you touch your phone you get a ticket

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Anyone have oil preferences? i've been trying a few between both cars 5w-20 on civic and 0w-20 subaru, i always change em out at 3k or a year
pennzoil i consider lower along w/ valvoline.

mobil 1 i consider really high.

and currently i'm using amazonbasics, i know lulz? but in tests it outperforms mobil1 and is rated as sn plus.

this guy does a lot of test videos on assorted things, basically whatever the viewers want

i'm doing conventional on the 5w20 and 0w-20 is only syntethic.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking to buy a c43 coupe from 2017.

Anyone has experience with them? Never owned a mercedes before.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Need a new car, have been reviewing makes on Edmunds. I prefer Small/Midsize Sedan's, last car was a 2011 Altima. Looking for something with a little power but don't need tons of luxury/features. Seems like 2018 was a major redesign for most Sedans.

My current short list is Mazda 3 or 6 or Honda Civic or Accord. - Looking in the 20-30k range.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I got an Infiniti G70 AWD 4door with all features and 30k miles for like $24k or so, maybe less dunno. With 5 year dealer warranty, GAP, yadda yadda. I would have done a Tesla but they are still $40k.
The features are what made me spend more. I drive alot to work and back, so I spend more than an hour a day driving so I wanted some safety features. Plus it has like 330 hp so it can go, fuck these idiots on the interstate, 110mph is smooth as butter. It does need premium gas and it does eat it with the all wheel drive (still less than my SUV), but I can't drive cars that can't accelerate up on a too short of an onramp (4 cylinders,etc). It has ECO but accelerating sucks when you turn it on of course so I don't like using it much. It has navigation and bluetooth, etc but all that is pretty standard. I still haven't used sport mode.

*AC Seats*: I will never own a vehicle again without these. Texas is fucking hot.
Automatic cruise control: Just stay in the lines and the car drives itself. Can have cruise control set to 80 and it will come to a complete stop if the car in front stops (but at that point cruise control disengages lol and you start idling forward). My friends are amazed when I tell them I'm not driving it.
Heated steering wheel
Cameras in all directions, the Hud shows the parking lines from the cameras so you know exactly where you are in a parking space.
lane change indicators
blind spot indicators
The automatic windshield wipers bother me sometimes, othertimes I don't even notice.

I was backing out of a friends place and there was a trashcan behind me I couldn't see. The car stopped before I hit it. Fucking godly. Sold.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm looking to buy a c43 coupe from 2017.

Anyone has experience with them? Never owned a mercedes before.

#1 to remember: It's not a real AMG. The engine is off the shelf and not hand made. It's MB playing the BMW game and adding their special badge to everything under the sun; marketing.

Other than that, it's a normal C class and decently reliable, decently quick, decently luxurious. Out of warranty I probably wouldn't own it, but getting an extended warranty could give you great peace of mind years 5-6.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It has decent performance and probably the nicest interior from everything with performance in that price range.

I could get an M4 or M2 in the same budget, but their interiors flat out suck. I find Audi to have better interiors, but their cars simply don't drive as well. -

I do plan for the factory warranty extension. The C63 is actually cheaper to purchase locally, but since it would cost me 17000$ in road taxes the first year, and 6000$ every year after, I'm going to pass on that.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Does anyone have first hand experience with both the Focus ST or Fiesta ST and the new Honda Civic Si with the 1.5 turbo? Wondering how the two (Fords vs the Honda) compare as far as fun-to-drive. I have a Fiesta ST which is an absolute blast to drive and great for the roads in my area. But I'd like something a bit larger and the Civic Si is about right. I've also considered the new Hyundai Veloster N, but they are demanding a premium price since it was just released.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll be test driving some civics and accords today, will report back with deets - Will also be doing Mazda 3/6 if you're curious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does anyone have first hand experience with both the Focus ST or Fiesta ST and the new Honda Civic Si with the 1.5 turbo? Wondering how the two (Fords vs the Honda) compare as far as fun-to-drive. I have a Fiesta ST which is an absolute blast to drive and great for the roads in my area. But I'd like something a bit larger and the Civic Si is about right. I've also considered the new Hyundai Veloster N, but they are demanding a premium price since it was just released.

Wait 6-12 months and get it at invoice when they're struggling to move any.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Civic EX was more fun than the Accord by far. The Civic and Mazda 6 Grand Touring trim were both pretty fun to drive. The big difference is the Mazda being bigger, roomier, and 6k more.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Why are Volvo SUVs so damn nice and so damn expensive!

Wat is nice about volvo SUVs?

Their interiors are poor compared to mercedes, they drive badly compared to german premiums, they are slower then their counterparts?

I do agree they are expensive though.

What are you comparing them to? US SUVs?

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Ehh everyone says they are slow... I am not in the market for a performance SUV lol - but if so, many seem to love the F-Pace

Everyone I personally have known with MB-Tex has had it crap out and peel within a few years.

The pre-refresh current Mercedes interior style I do like - I do not like the huge bezel pop out "iPad" screen that is the trend, I liked when it was inset.

The XC90, 60 and even 40 are THE most comfortable to sit in @ 6 foot - 8 and "wide" - the mid size GLE? Is okay and the GLC? The 3 row one (I know the mid just got a 3rd row option) not the big Kardashian box 150k one (bleh) - but the 3rd row one is comfy, about the same as the XC90.

I like the Volvo simplistic and elegant interior and real wood - I hate audi design and vw as well.. BMW's swooping center dash is always a huge pain in my leg and always is in my way of where I sit and put my leg.

My wife has a Infiniti QX60 that she drives the kids in and I drive it whenever we go places and we don't want to all cram in the leaf (no gas!)

Lexus and Toyota interiors and comfort never impressed me - Hondas are okay, we had a civic that was a tank a great little car. The last Acura MDX I tried the on/off ignition button protruded out from the dash and stuck me right where I rested my knee/leg... arghhh

I do like the Mazda CX9 and the real wood trim, the plastic it has instead on lower trims is nasty - i.e it sounds bad when you flick it.... But comfort in the 9 is eh, the new cx5 actually has more room for me as a driver- but does not offer (I don't think) the high level and wood trims.

I like wood trim- I love the Mercedes large wood wrap in the G line ups - but I am "old" as the new trends are all going to "fancy" synthetics vs "old person wood" trims.

Had to find my wife's qx60 with the wood vs the odd carbon fiber crap they switched to on the refresh, pre refresh the base was fake Grey buried wood- much nicer than the stupid printed fiber weave that they replaced it with.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Ok, I need to rant.

Been working on my MY00 Impreza WRX Bugeye that's been off the road for a year. The alternator drive belt had a nick in the side of it, so I decided to replace it. Checked the belt for numbers and it's clearly marked as 5PK875. Take the belt off and it's fucked. There's a bunch of belt missing completely and there's a split in it. The alternator pulley actually has belt ribs still stuck to it, so I get in there with a screwdriver and clean it out then finish up with a Dremel wirebrush disc to clean up the pulleys.

Buy a new 5PK875 belt.

Fucker will not fit. FML.