Car ?'s

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife's 2010 civic has about 130k on it. Mostly highway miles. Only thing outside routine stuff is a tie rod and just recently the alternator. It's starting to show a little age but not really much.

My 2013 accord is around the same miles and the only thing we did to that was replace a frozen caliper. That drives like the day it came off the lot. Smoothest ride I've ever driven in a car

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What would you consider a Jap comparison? Something with around 350HP? F type Lexus? To me it just seemed the stang was a shit ride. Super cheap plastic interior and noisy ride. Only thing it had going for it was acceleration and exhaust note.

People who like mustangs like mustangs. You don't. Who gives a fuck?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, its funny how you guys worship the jap cars as if they were idols or some shit. most of you probably never drove an american car in the past 20 yrs because, yeah they were shit at one point. I work for a jap company that makes interiors for Nissan and I can tell you that none of these jap cars that are sold here are jap anymore. They are all designed and engineered here, like in the case of toyota, nissan and honda, by mostly american engineers and designers, and pretty much either built here or in china or mexico. Same as any of the american cars.

I might have some bias here because im a Detroit boy which both parents and other family worked for the big 3, and my wifes family too and of course I have access to discounts and shit. But I find the jap cars to all look the same and boring their styling is shit, for instance like I said I work for nissan and I find all of their models to be shit looking except one that is serviceable, the rogue.

Oh and BTW, I dont know about honda or Toyota, but my company that does interiors for Nissan, Is behind in technology and materials that they use in interiors by about 20 yrs. In talking about shit like soft skin IP, the foaming technology, etc.. ITs one of the downfalls the Japs have is when its not broke dont fix it or dont advance. One of the funny one liners we have at our company is "Same as" where they always tell us make it same ass xxxx was. We also constantly dismantle american cars at our shop to see what advancments they are making in interiors and just essentially copy new shit they come up with.

But it all comes down to the unions IMO, which are still holding back the big three. Its good shit, good engineering, leaders in the field, bar none, but the unions which make and install the shit are still the same old, "dont work too hard because youre messing up our quotas", bullshit. In which the jap companies dont deal with that shit. Its essentially how it should be, do your fucking job or your ass is fired.

Last edited:

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Nissan is really on par with the big 3 in terms of quality control and reliability. They just skate by on being a Japanese company.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't know why anyone would buy a Lexus. My Camry had the same exact engine as the ES350 and same trimmings (even the same speaker system) minus an upgraded nav system which I would never use anyway because I have a cell phone. And it was like 10k less.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't know why anyone would buy a Lexus. My Camry had the same exact engine as the ES350 and same trimmings (even the same speaker system) minus an upgraded nav system which I would never use anyway because I have a cell phone. And it was like 10k less.
i did a quick google on lexus vs. toyota (i know lexus is just a pretty toyota)

but jfc, why are all these new cars w/ the ugly ass grills?
3999c586796d44bf8b586cb61a28e64b_940x351.png

when is the weber 2020 speedster gonna come out?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The Toyota looks better than the Lexus imo. If I was going for a status symbol I'd go German. The Japanese luxury brands just don't fit the bill.

If you're gonna be a bear be a Grizzly.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I worship.jap cars because they have a proven track record. You saying American cars were one shit is exactly why. Maybe they've improved but in my mind they haven't. Im not ready to let them fuck my ass a little bit yet

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
hah, I'll agree with you there, it's too Transformers for me. MIss the old 2004 Civic Si hatchback with the stick in the dash.

I think Car and Driver described the Civic's front grille best: "Darth Vader's sex face." Crying shame, because Honda does a great manual.

There are so few interesting options for subcomps and compacts now; GTI is pretty much it. I kind of like Minis, but the value proposition isn't there, and I don't want the associated lifestyle brand baggage that goes with them. Civic is a good car on paper, but fugly. Sonic's gas mileage is horrid for how small it is, and considering that the base price is 3-4k more than my 8 year old Mazda2, the interior looks worse. The Rio and Accent have a surprising amount of horsepower, but you can only get the manuals in the base trim with shit like rolldown windows. Mazda3 now only has manual on the top trimline. What's a guy who likes small and zippy to do?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I think Car and Driver described the Civic's front grille best: "Darth Vader's sex face." Crying shame, because Honda does a great manual.

There are so few interesting options for subcomps and compacts now; GTI is pretty much it. I kind of like Minis, but the value proposition isn't there, and I don't want the associated lifestyle brand baggage that goes with them. Civic is a good car on paper, but fugly. Sonic's gas mileage is horrid for how small it is, and considering that the base price is 3-4k more than my 8 year old Mazda2, the interior looks worse. The Rio and Accent have a surprising amount of horsepower, but you can only get the manuals in the base trim with shit like rolldown windows. Mazda3 now only has manual on the top trimline. What's a guy who likes small and zippy to do?

GTI is definitely a great ride for the price. The Mazda 3 redesign is also really well done. I’m with you on the lack of options for high end small and zippy, as I prefer smaller cars. Only problem is it’s hard to find small cars with the same luxury and trim levels as larger cars. I like the BMW M2 Competition, but I’d love it a lot more of it was available with trim and options you find in the 5 series. Currently my hopes reside in the upcoming 2020 RS3, though it’s only going to be automatic.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I worship.jap cars because they have a proven track record. You saying American cars were one shit is exactly why. Maybe they've improved but in my mind they haven't. Im not ready to let them fuck my ass a little bit yet
They have improved, but so have the Japanese cars aside from Nissan and Mitsubishi. So you're still buying an inferior product.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
To me a car is just a way to get from point a to point b. I don't want the fanciest technology or the latest and greatest. I do think that american cars are much more advanced than their Japanese counterparts, but all that advancement seems to come with issues. I have a cruze that suffers from a PCV issue that blows out the intake manifold every 30-40k miles. It's a "known" issue on all the forums, but GM of course won't acknowledge it. I'd rather take a proven, "boring" design than someone new and excitring that requires a 200-1k repair every 30k miles. Much like most things i buy, i want the simplest version that has the highest reliability. Honda seems to offer that and so I like to stick with them (granted im driving a GM right now....).

I grew up and still live in Michigan.. most my family works/worked for the big 3. My family has owned enough to know to stay away. I do think the big 3 get screwed by the unions - and i'm not totally anti union - but i had neighbors that worked at plants that had been closed for years and would just show up and watch tv / read magazines 8 hours a day and get paid because it was cheaper to do that than to lay them off..... I'm sure that has changed (was in the 90s), but the fact that it was ever a reality is pretty disheartening.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You think so? I can't make up my mind on it. It was my dream car growing up in the 90s.

The late 90s variant is still pure sex, however, the 2020 variant has Lexus syndrome where they added a bunch of weird shit just because.

I think if you removed the garbled crap around the headlights and the plateau on the trunk it would look pretty damn good. It's like they purposely made it look weird.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The Lexus LC and the Infiniti Q60 are some hot Jap designs, and the Mazda 3 is pretty good, but outside of that most of the Jap line is fairly boring or weird.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

VW Polo GTi, or even the UP GTi if you think the Golf isn't the right fit?
You think so? I can't make up my mind on it. It was my dream car growing up in the 90s.

If it was available with a manual and a proper amount of power, I'd consider one.