Car ?'s

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
VW Polo GTi, or even the UP GTi if you think the Golf isn't the right fit?

I don't have anything against the GTI; I just think it's unfortunate that it's the only really interesting choice in the "cheap thrills" subcompact/compact department. And it's still at the extreme upper end of what I'd be willing to pay for a car.

And I don't live in Europe, so no Polo or cool little Euro-style subcompacts for me. I'd love something like it or a hypothetical Mazda Speed2, though.

Fadaar

That guy
It's pretty hard to have unique designs with mid engine cars, the aerodynamics all kinda narrow down to one basic shape. That being said, car looks amazing for the price.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So my wife and I know this Austrian kid who is in the US doing an intensive study. Sharp kid (this story excepted), super polite, responsible, family with money, etc, etc. He needed transportation to a seminar so we let him borrow our beater car for a couple days.

Three hours into his trip, we get a phone call that he managed to fill the tank with diesel and drive it. Thank god it was a 2001 Camry and not something worth actual money. I'll be shocked if it doesn't cost more to fix than it's worth. RIP grandma's car.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So my wife and I know this Austrian kid who is in the US doing an intensive study. Sharp kid (this story excepted), super polite, responsible, family with money, etc, etc. He needed transportation to a seminar so we let him borrow our beater car for a couple days.

Three hours into his trip, we get a phone call that he managed to fill the tank with diesel and drive it. Thank god it was a 2001 Camry and not something worth actual money. I'll be shocked if it doesn't cost more to fix than it's worth. RIP grandma's car.

Diesel in a gas engine isn't so bad, it just gums things up. Gas in the diesel is what ruins the engine. The will probably just have to drain the tank and clean the injectors, shouldn't be horribly expensive. That said, he must have been pretty determined to get that diesel in there because the nozzle won't go into the hole in a gas tank.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

If he didn't fill it up all the way then fill it the rest of the way with gas. The gas will dilute the diesel enough that it'll run shitty a bit but it'll be fine.

If he did fill it all the way, then siphon out as much of the diesel as you can then fill it up with gas and do the same dilution.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone watching this new Corvette shit? It's beautiful. Looks like a true supercar... and I think its a mid engine now??
Man, I've never really wanted a vette, but this thing looks awesome.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Man, I've never really wanted a vette, but this thing looks awesome.

It’s funny to me that sports cars have gotten progressively more awesome as the market for them has dwindled. 70’s and 80’s sports cars were such hunks of shit.

The new corvette looks great, technically and aesthetically.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it seems more and more people are turning to SUV of all shapes and sizes over sports cars these days. Im sure young people still aspire to own a sports car of some type, but sadly most dont have the finances to own one.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I debated on getting a luxury/sports car when I get my new car last February, and like you said I ended up going with an SUV/Crossover instead (Honda HRV). I strongly considering getting a civic Type R, but I was pretty confident I would end up with my brains smeared against the inside of the windshield at some point.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
GTI is definitely a great ride for the price. The Mazda 3 redesign is also really well done. I’m with you on the lack of options for high end small and zippy, as I prefer smaller cars. Only problem is it’s hard to find small cars with the same luxury and trim levels as larger cars. I like the BMW M2 Competition, but I’d love it a lot more of it was available with trim and options you find in the 5 series. Currently my hopes reside in the upcoming 2020 RS3, though it’s only going to be automatic.

I picked up an Elantra GT Sport back in Dec, the newest model year is now the Elantra GT N-Line. Really nice car for the price, a little behind in power versus current GTI's, but equivalent to a Civic SI. Interior is great and Entertainment system is awesome.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Picked up a new Honda Ridgeline recently. I've always had hand me downs and this is my first new car of my own. Because it's my first nice for me purchase, I do want to try to take decent care of it. I've kind of looked into some sort of paint protection film (Clear bra) or something like that along with maybe ceramic coating. I've got a vendor that will do it for $1500 that covers the full front side. Anyone have experience with this kind of stuff and have a recommendation on if its worth it or not? It's for a daily driver, 13 mile commute to work half highway, half city with occasional roadtrips on the weekend. Any thoughts are appreciated.

67564082_10107759879261647_4940089452786614272_o.jpg

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
It would depend on your plans for the car, like trade in value in the near future. If you're keeping it for a long time, don't bother.

When people buy new cars we get ultra protective of it and do what we can to keep it clean and in order. Eventually the day comes where we start washing it less and at some point it will get it's cherry popped (dinged). I've had enough new cars to not really care. My current car got scratches (on the sides) and chips in the windshield within the first year just from driving to work. From the day I got it, I knew I was going to drive it to its death so dings and scratches don't bother me.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I had some polymer coating paint protection.. Zylan or something on my van...it did work it cleaned easy and never needed a wax job- a normal car wash made it look new...it came with some level of warranty - yet I never needed to use it.

If you do ceramic, a true ceramic- you MUST do it when it is as near perfect/new as it can be.

Ceramics do not "fill in" scratches etc like wax or compounding or normal stuff does or buffing it.

In fact, the ceramic seals it and if there are swirl, coaches etc under the ceramic they are there, you cannot buff them out as you have to go through the ceramic.

If I were to buy a brand new car, I would get it done because everything I have researched it is a great thing to do...

Edit

I got the paint protection bc the van was the same paint/ color as my murano (Nissan platinum graphite) and that thing got pitted and marred by love bugs if one just got near it... and this stuff was to stop that and to stop that...and it did.