Car ?'s

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Please tell me you didn't give up the Porsche.

I sold my 911 a long time ago, like in late 2017. I never drove it once I had the model S. The model S is considerably faster for everything except track time and 60-130 pulls. And quieter, and smoother, and more efficient, and the insurance costs 1/2 as much, and the tires aren't $450 each, and...

Siliconemelons

Okay fine, sell me the 3 once your done toying with it ;-)

I need to go to the tesla...show room? whatever they call it in this mall near me and sit in them and see if I fit :)

Problem with 3's is they are newer than S's and have less used market and are in some cases more expensive. Most used 3's I saw a while ago were essentially new cost - tax break - i was like luluzlz

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I sold my 911 a long time ago, like in late 2017. I never drove it once I had the model S. The model S is considerably faster for everything except track time and 60-130 pulls. And quieter, and smoother, and more efficient, and the insurance costs 1/2 as much, and the tires aren't $450 each, and...

You telling me the Model S is more fun to drive than the Porsche? You don't buy a Porsche for the smooth ride and efficiency after all..

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
You telling me the Model S is more fun to drive than the Porsche? You don't buy a Porsche for the smooth ride and efficiency after all..

Yes. Because even with the PDK there was a delay when you hit the throttle before it goes. Then there's turbo lag. By the time the 911 decides to actually start pulling, the Model S is across the intersection at 40mph.

The 911 is definitely faster... over 50mph or so and once it is in the right gear with boost up. The model S is WAY faster around town and in point and squirt type situations, or just a random stomp up the street.

It's my third porsche so I like them. I just don't go to the track much if at all anymore and I spend a lot more time at the courthouse than I do at MSR.

I'll get another track car someday.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Okay fine, sell me the 3 once your done toying with it ;-)

I need to go to the tesla...show room? whatever they call it in this mall near me and sit in them and see if I fit :)

Problem with 3's is they are newer than S's and have less used market and are in some cases more expensive. Most used 3's I saw a while ago were essentially new cost - tax break - i was like luluzlz

Yea I bought my 3 new.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
car re-assembled, engine runs no boom boom, sounds nicer

vacuum on ac lines holding steady

driving around w/o ac now cuz amazon didn't send me the ac coolant can adapter.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

If I wanted the clankiest fucking transmission ever installed in a vehicle I could just buy a '52 F100 column shifter and then two-footed kick the clutch pedal while turning off the motor in between shifts and bump starting it while floored and it would still shift smoother than a GT-R.

Also if I wanted a "sports car" heavier than my model S I'd get something better looking than a 370z with fender flares.

No thank you

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
Had my breaks changed recently because my tire was making a screeching noise that kinda sounded like a chain dragging. Still squeaks. Took it back to the car place and told them about it and they made it squeak less. Week later if squeaks all the time and my rotor? is all hot when I'm done driving. Is this dangerous?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had my breaks changed recently because my tire was making a screeching noise that kinda sounded like a chain dragging. Still squeaks. Took it back to the car place and told them about it and they made it squeak less. Week later if squeaks all the time and my rotor? is all hot when I'm done driving. Is this dangerous?
did you change the rotor too? or just the pads?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Could be pads dragging, if they didn't install the correct pads or misaligned them, or failed to apply the grease to the back so they move smoothly.

Could also be wheel bearings (does it get better or worse when you turn? Could be CV joints!

Machining rotors is usually fine, you should measure the thickness of the rotor with a micrometer to check the thickness, and then see if it's close to minimum. It's usually not and they rip you off replacing perfectly good rotors.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

maskedmelon

Could be pads dragging, if they didn't install the correct pads or misaligned them, or failed to apply the grease to the back so they move smoothly.

Could also be wheel bearings (does it get better or worse when you turn? Could be CV joints!

Machining rotors is usually fine, you should measure the thickness of the rotor with a micrometer to check the thickness, and then see if it's close to minimum. It's usually not and they rip you off replacing perfectly good rotors.

Hmm okay, I'm have them take a look at those other things. I think this happened before with my other car but can't for the life of me remember what the problem was. Bearings rings a bell though thanks 🙏

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they took apart the rear, your emergency brake may need adjustment. Sometimes the pads barely touch the rotors and it will make a grinding sound. Or they may have not turned the rotors and yours are warped rubbing on the pads.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
they said that they machined the rotors.
well if they machined your rotors that means they at least took it all apart, so any weird dust/rust or rocks woulda fallen out.

is it the same wheel thats been all this trouble front or rear? maybe you have rear drum brakes?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Could also be a dust cover behind the rotor. I had one that was slightly warped and made noise until it actually snapped off.

maskedmelon

well if they machined your rotors that means they at least took it all apart, so any weird dust/rust or rocks woulda fallen out.

is it the same wheel thats been all this trouble front or rear? maybe you have rear drum brakes?

It's in the rear and I think it is the same as the front. I can see the same shiny disk through the rims.

Siliconemelons

Right, but your e-break is usually a little drum break on the rear tires - I live in Florida so they are RARELY ever done anything to - I guess up in the hills and mountains they are important to be sure they function.

But they often are neglected and also...because they are little drum breaks they are not as easy as disc breaks - disc breaks are so damn simple to do a basic replacement of pads and rotos... heck if your calipers are jacked up, its generally only a wee bit more to buy new ones and just replace them

Get a new set of pads and rotors off ebay that area "pre machined" - and then do the "burn in" or whatever its called- where you (after ensuring everything works and "stops" you) you go to a long stretch of open road, get up to a good speed and apply a long medium pressure stop 2-3 times then do 1-2 "longish" hard stops...

I did this on my van and it worked well - did all 4 wheels - air tools make this much better and don't forget safety jack stands.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i did some wire clean up, i got proper trim tools so i was able to pop the trim and hide the mass of wires, i have a front and rear dash cam (and backup cam, this was added first). routed it to use an open fuse instead of the cig lighter, so less hassle.

wired up the sub, but taking out the console lead to many clearance issues (theres no slack on the wires) and theres no "low level" connections for the sub (which would be rca jacks) so i'd have to tap into the l+r speakers.

decided this was annoying, so upgrading the console to a 10in screen now(which has rca jacks), and got extra wiring harnesses, i want this done by the weekend.