Car ?'s

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Link didn't work, no 370,, but for the price seems like a decent throw away toy even if it only lasts 20-30k miles.

Screenshot_20200810-220336_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200810-220529_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200810-220508_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Sludig

So in the youtube world. Some very good auto /bike channels out there. Most fit a pretty common framework. Many are snooze fests. I enjoy funnier ones like throttle house but still mostly vague and more about entertainment. For a very long time two very high production quality channels I've liked is fortnine for bikes, and savagegeese for cars. I feel like recently a few of the deeper details he's been missing out on, but has had many an informative video mixed in with some dry witty humour that leaves me wife trying to figure out if hes being sarcastic or not (yes), and sometimes just silly crude humor.

Made me a little sad to see that he's had to make this kind of video.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So in the youtube world. Some very good auto /bike channels out there. Most fit a pretty common framework. Many are snooze fests. I enjoy funnier ones like throttle house but still mostly vague and more about entertainment. For a very long time two very high production quality channels I've liked is fortnine for bikes, and savagegeese for cars. I feel like recently a few of the deeper details he's been missing out on, but has had many an informative video mixed in with some dry witty humour that leaves me wife trying to figure out if hes being sarcastic or not (yes), and sometimes just silly crude humor.

savage geese seems to have a yearly, "why am i not famous!" vid

Sludig

Having watched for a long while, I do not recall anything like that or certainly not what this one was. Unlike some toobers with better numbers I can see spending fat stacks, I see none of it from him, might be first person I'd ever consider a couple donation bucks for. When he actually shit talks 1/4 of the cars in his vid or more, I wouldn't doubt that corps arn't bending over backwards to enable/support him as a auto journo.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Having watched for a long while, I do not recall anything like that or certainly not what this one was. Unlike some toobers with better numbers I can see spending fat stacks, I see none of it from him, might be first person I'd ever consider a couple donation bucks for. When he actually shit talks 1/4 of the cars in his vid or more, I wouldn't doubt that corps arn't bending over backwards to enable/support him as a auto journo.
it was around the time he had the two mechanics on the couch

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

This channel is really nice if you just want to see how cars perform without speedlimit:

Lots of vids of all kinds of cars, normal and super, stock and tuned.

The 140 in that vid is a monster.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Anyone know a good brand/place that sells car tint?
Seems 3M is either in massive rolls or installers only.
We was going to have it done this week after a 3 month waiting list but I got bored and stripped the old tint off myself and when we called to say we had removed the tint ( Shelly called ) the dude started huffing and saying shit like well, you probably didn't remove the glue and she said the guy who lives with me used to install security film I think he removed everything.

He then said due to age of the car he couldn't install the tint unless the window stabilizers were new, even though the car has only 91k miles on it and in pristine condition. ( Why he never mentioned this in the fucking 2 months we waited was obvious )He then shot out a price of $300 additional dollars to do it. I looked it up while she was on the phone and Home Depot of all places had them at $13 each( need 4 ) and to be honest is a thing you can do in 5 minutes while prepping for tint anyways.

So then she said I would take care of it and we just needed the tint which was only $150 of the initial $500 he claimed it would cost to strip old and install. Long story short, he was pissed I took away his gravy money which was over priced to begin with. He said his earliest next appointment was October 15th.

So now I am looking to do 2 front TA windows and the large rear in 35/20ish tint, at least 2ply so it doesn't rip and the rear window is one large mofo. I've seen some on Amazon/Ebay precut for like $80 which is fine except I don't know if it is worth a shit. So if anyone has found a good source of tint you don't have to buy a 100' roll of, I'd appreciate it.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We was going to have it done this week after a 3 month waiting list but I got bored and stripped the old tint off myself and when we called to say we had removed the tint ( Shelly called ) the dude started huffing and saying shit like well, you probably didn't remove the glue and she said the guy who lives with me used to install security film I think he removed everything.

He then said due to age of the car he couldn't install the tint unless the window stabilizers were new, even though the car has only 91k miles on it and in pristine condition. ( Why he never mentioned this in the fucking 2 months we waited was obvious )He then shot out a price of $300 additional dollars to do it. I looked it up while she was on the phone and Home Depot of all places had them at $13 each( need 4 ) and to be honest is a thing you can do in 5 minutes while prepping for tint anyways.

So then she said I would take care of it and we just needed the tint which was only $150 of the initial $500 he claimed it would cost to strip old and install. Long story short, he was pissed I took away his gravy money which was over priced to begin with. He said his earliest next appointment was October 15th.

So now I am looking to do 2 front TA windows and the large rear in 35/20ish tint, at least 2ply so it doesn't rip and the rear window is one large mofo. I've seen some on Amazon/Ebay precut for like $80 which is fine except I don't know if it is worth a shit. So if anyone has found a good source of tint you don't have to buy a 100' roll of, I'd appreciate it.

It has been a few years since I looked at tint, but I remember reading that there are major material and quality differences. This can affect how much different the materials can bend, their color/sheen, and the color fading over time (turning purple). I think I wanted to go with the Huper Optik ceramic line, but the installer said ceramics are difficult to bend on large curved glass hatch backs and it wont look right (warp the light, or some such, I forget exactly). So, my car is still un-tinted.

As for finding the quality tints, I would imagine your best bet is to start calling local shops. Don't you live in DFW or Houston? There are a million of shops in most major metros and I would think more than one will sell you a partial roll of film. If only in hopes to over charge you to fix your fuck up.

Tint forum I read when I was looking at tint:

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider

That rear window is a complete motherfucker to do on your own unless you're very familiar with how to do tint. Honestly I'd just wait for an appointment and get a certified 3m installer to do it. The tint is expensive but well worth the price, also I believe the tint itself has a lifetime warranty if done by a certified installer.

Oldbased

> Than U
That rear window is a complete motherfucker to do on your own unless you're very familiar with how to do tint. Honestly I'd just wait for an appointment and get a certified 3m installer to do it. The tint is expensive but well worth the price, also I believe the tint itself has a lifetime warranty if done by a certified installer.
ATM plan is for me to do the side windows ( I have experience ) and maybe try rear or wait and let someone else do it. She is worried about my health and my unusual ability to peak 180bpm doing almost nothing along with the heat( no garage ).
I know how to lay it out, have heat gun already from drywall/paint repairs and form it before removing protective film and popping trunk and applying to inside then but as you said, it is a bitch for anyone alone, let alone someone in bad heart health. I just ordered 2 ply smoke 35% for side windows should be here today but going to wait till next week when temps is -15 lower than now after Laura rolls by. Atmosphere should be pretty clean of dust then too.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Necro for tire question. Currently have Michelin Primacy MXM4 runflats on my BMW. Getting close to replacing them time. I have read info online but wondered if anyone here is a tire autist? I am quite happy with the MXM4's, but also looking at Pirelli Cinturano P7, Bridgestone Turanza EL400, and Bridgestone DriveGuard run flats. Anyone one have opinions or experience?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Necro for tire question. Currently have Michelin Primacy MXM4 runflats on my BMW. Getting close to replacing them time. I have read info online but wondered if anyone here is a tire autist? I am quite happy with the MXM4's, but also looking at Pirelli Cinturano P7, Bridgestone Turanza EL400, and Bridgestone DriveGuard run flats. Anyone one have opinions or experience?

I know everything about summer or competition tires, but nothing about all-season. All I can suggest is to avoid run flat tires if you want more comfort and more performance. Many businesses will warranty new tires if you get a set, which will replace one within 30,000, for instance, if there is a defect, or a puncture that can't be patched, or something else causing damage. A run flat might get you 30-50 miles down the road, but they cost more and aren't as compliant. Do you have AAA? Do you have a can of tire foam that's only a few bucks?

On all 3 of my Beemers, I immediately removed the run flats and put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or 4S, when they were developed). So, doesn't answer your question, other than to suggest not using run flats at all. But, maybe you live in a construction zone.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know everything about summer or competition tires, but nothing about all-season. All I can suggest is to avoid run flat tires if you want more comfort and more performance. Many businesses will warranty new tires if you get a set, which will replace one within 30,000, for instance, if there is a defect, or a puncture that can't be patched, or something else causing damage. A run flat might get you 30-50 miles down the road, but they cost more and aren't as compliant. Do you have AAA? Do you have a can of tire foam that's only a few bucks?

On all 3 of my Beemers, I immediately removed the run flats and put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or 4S, when they were developed). So, doesn't answer your question, other than to suggest not using run flats at all. But, maybe you live in a construction zone.
I have about 40k on my MXM4 run flats and think the ride is great. Granted I havent driven it with non-run flats. BJ's is offering $150 of 4 Michelins so I may go that route.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you enjoy the ride, then definitely go for it. I think Michelin makes the best road going tires and it sounds like that's a hell of a deal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you enjoy the ride, then definitely go for it. I think Michelin makes the best road going tires and it sounds like that's a hell of a deal.
Update: I ended up going with Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season run flats. I got the set of 4 installed with road hazard at BJs for $735. So far after just a day the ride feels just a little more stiff than the MXM4 but it could be they are brand new and its 30 degrees outside. Bj's ran the same $150 discount on 4x Pirelli and after reading reviews figured they were solid bang for the buck alternatives.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm a mechanical retard who wants to install a hitch on my Mazda CX-5. I understand this is an easy home DIY thing. What tools do I need?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I'm a mechanical retard who wants to install a hitch on my Mazda CX-5. I understand this is an easy home DIY thing. What tools do I need?
And dont forget that trailers require power for break lights/turn singles so youll need to run all that shit too. (Not fun)