Car ?'s

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
wth

how you'd think that when signing the loan that $340 a month for a 17k purchase was a good thing to do?

It was an emergency purchase + I was dumber then. Also the original intention was to pay it off a lot faster than that. It didn't become an albatross until I realized how much the interest was demolishing the payments and that I'd gotten a raw deal. You live and learn, I guess.

Cancel the Zurich Shield bs crap and get a prorated amount back at least. Start there and then refinance the loan at a credit union.

I'm working on it. Since it's a timed thing I should be able to get it prorated for the remaining time which would at least take a few thousand off the balance.

When I got the car, I specified that I wasn't sure if I wanted the Zurich thing, and the dealers told me no problem, you can cancel it any time, which is why I got it. A few weeks later when I went back and went yeah, actually, I need to get this number down so I'm gonna cancel Zurich... all of a sudden the dealers told me that you can't cancel it, it's an upfront purchase.

I mean they fucked me over pretty good on this thing. I decided to keep it and hoped I ended up needing it...I didn't. So I'm going to call Zurich and figure it out with them. The fact that the dealer basically lied me into it might help me get it cancelled/prorated back to the bank. I know a good credit union for step 2 as well.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Ok so a 2017 with 35k, you overpaid by like 5k, things could be far worse. Nut up buttercup.

Fucker

Log Wizard
It was an emergency purchase + I was dumber then. Also the original intention was to pay it off a lot faster than that. It didn't become an albatross until I realized how much the interest was demolishing the payments and that I'd gotten a raw deal. You live and learn, I guess.

I'm working on it. Since it's a timed thing I should be able to get it prorated for the remaining time which would at least take a few thousand off the balance.

When I got the car, I specified that I wasn't sure if I wanted the Zurich thing, and the dealers told me no problem, you can cancel it any time, which is why I got it. A few weeks later when I went back and went yeah, actually, I need to get this number down so I'm gonna cancel Zurich... all of a sudden the dealers told me that you can't cancel it, it's an upfront purchase.

I mean they fucked me over pretty good on this thing. I decided to keep it and hoped I ended up needing it...I didn't. So I'm going to call Zurich and figure it out with them. The fact that the dealer basically lied me into it might help me get it cancelled/prorated back to the bank. I know a good credit union for step 2 as well.

It's a small fuck up. Do the math next time and learn from the mistake. It's not a speed bump in the grand scheme of things. I knew a guy who overpaid by $7500 for a POS used car then got fucked on trading it in for a truck which they also fucked him on. I think he ended up getting screwed for around $20k. He wasn't the type of person who could afford financial mistakes, either.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So i wanted to update the situation with my yaris.

It was not the Battery at all but a plastic bag got stuck in the serp belt. Makes sense as power steer, alternator, and ac are all based off that. It would also squeel when it did run despite me replacing the belt 3 months ago and it looking fine.

One day i noticed it stuck in the belt and ac area. Removed it last week. No more failures on start or sqeeling since.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So i wanted to update the situation with my yaris.

It was not the Battery at all but a plastic bag got stuck in the serp belt. Makes sense as power steer, alternator, and ac are all based off that. It would also squeel when it did run despite me replacing the belt 3 months ago and it looking fine.

One day i noticed it stuck in the belt and ac area. Removed it last week. No more failures on start or sqeeling since.
are your mud flaps gone? or wheel wells

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Kinda intriqued by upcoming rental fleet cars. They ever have anything exciting besides some base model corvettes? Currently a tundra and motorcycles and kinda looking for something either fun (been looking 370z's) or just fairly bland but cheap and reliable ish for when it's too hot/snowy. (45-1hour commute = would like to minimize truck use) Some newer mazda's would be sweet, appreciating many of the 17+ cars after shopping around and deciding on a CX-5 for wife next year.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Kinda intriqued by upcoming rental fleet cars. They ever have anything exciting besides some base model corvettes? Currently a tundra and motorcycles and kinda looking for something either fun (been looking 370z's) or just fairly bland but cheap and reliable ish for when it's too hot/snowy. (45-1hour commute = would like to minimize truck use) Some newer mazda's would be sweet, appreciating many of the 17+ cars after shopping around and deciding on a CX-5 for wife next year.

I saw hertz was unloading a ton of high end camaros a few weeks back

I was car shopping in May/June - 95% of the rental cars being unloaded were 4 door Nissan Versas.

edit: it was actually corvettes, not camaros.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Why? That's like buying used underwear.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think the narrative about how rental cars are "abused" is overblown. I used to rent cars all the time and while there's a chance someone went joyriding in it, 99% of rental cars are being driven by business travelers who drive it from the airport, to a hotel, to a job, and back to the airport. Most likely getting washed, vacuumed out, and maintained regularly. "Ooh, don't buy a rental car, people rod the shit out of them" is just something people like to repeat and not actually based on anything. I suppose a corvette is more likely to have been abused, but the rental companies always buy the most basic, smallest engine version of sports cars that they rent so they're not really as fun to drive as you might think.

Hosix

All labs matter!
I think the narrative about how rental cars are "abused" is overblown. I used to rent cars all the time and while there's a chance someone went joyriding in it, 99% of rental cars are being driven by business travelers who drive it from the airport, to a hotel, to a job, and back to the airport. Most likely getting washed, vacuumed out, and maintained regularly. "Ooh, don't buy a rental car, people rod the shit out of them" is just something people like to repeat and not actually based on anything. I suppose a corvette is more likely to have been abused, but the rental companies always buy the most basic, smallest engine version of sports cars that they rent so they're not really as fun to drive as you might think.

Not always.....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Correct for the vast majority of rentals. Except when it's a sports car that someone can rent for a day but not usually afford to own. It will be driven hard.

I rented one in Atlanta a year and a half ago (Camaro SS) and its rear tires were bald to the cords and leaking and the engine stuttered. We swapped it out, but Hertz was letting it go out the door to customers that way. Our entire 6 day rental ended up being free due to that nonsense.

Maybe I'm just more pessimistic about people being responsible or considerate.

SeanDoe1z1

This thread helps me appreciate the 3 POS tin buckets I keep around that only eat up a liability premium.

But i do look at newer cars all the time and get envious. I drive 20k/yr and my wife 10k/yr, at least during regular times. I blame games like EQ with limited charge items and never wanting to "waste" anything. Damn you SonyEQ

The Hertz rental loadoff almost got me because in my area I was seeing some nice sedans that seemed 20 % below market.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I shouldnt have to say this but never ever quadruple ever buy an old rent-a-car. Dont even buy a dealer car with 1k miles on it. People like me and everyone else fucks the hell outa those things.

Some cars are just lemons off the lot, add in a few dozen assholes renting a vette or bumblebee, that thing is fucked.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Nah. Talk to someone that rents all the time and you'll hear a different story.

Why risk it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I travel and work with a lot of people that travel and every single person beats the fuck out of the rental cars. Flooring it at every stop sign/light. Taking corners as fast as possible. Running over roadkill and shit.

I don’t really know why this mentality exists but it does. Guess it’s just fun to drive like an idiot when you’re not on the hook for the maintenance. I’d never buy a rental.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I travel and work with a lot of people that travel and every single person beats the fuck out of the rental cars. Flooring it at every stop sign/light. Taking corners as fast as possible. Running over roadkill and shit.

I don’t really know why this mentality exists but it does. Guess it’s just fun to drive like an idiot when you’re not on the hook for the maintenance. I’d never buy a rental.
Absolutely never.

We called them curb jumpers when we were 15-21. One friends dad was one of the higher ups on BMW NA and he got a new car every week or 2. We ran those things into the ground and just fucked them up. The only thing the dad said was never bring it over 1-2k miles.

Had another friend that had a dad own one of the bigger import dealerships, so you could call him a dealer but he was 20. We would take a new audi out every weekend and go drive in corn fields and just mess everything up. These were the way older audi tt coupes and shit. Just left them in creeks or stuck in mud and the dealership would bring out a truck and grab them, must have ruined a dozen of em.

I always loved the first version of the X5. Great sound system and it felt sturdy. Always hated those soft top bmws that were super short. Z8s maybe? Maybe before that

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Z3. The Z8 also existed, but it was a very expensive V8 halo car for BMW and not many were made.

Can't believe you would just leave cars stuck in the mud, lol. After the first time I would have figured he would say that's enough.