Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
No trailer here. Looking to use this

Youll need a jack to lift the entire rear end up since there is basicly no clearance for 1-2 males to work with tools. Jack stands or the ramps you drive up on, the more height the better. Its winter so a moving blanket or cardboard and a blanket to lay on. You really dont need those exhaust plyers, you could just use some channel locks or hammer and crescent wrench. Dont really need a torque wrench either but you do need a socket wrench with some extenders. Having a buddy hold 1 side of that while you tighten the bolts will save you some hassle.

100% doable but working on your back under a small car like that sucks dick

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Youll need a jack to lift the entire rear end up since there is basicly no clearance for 1-2 males to work with tools. Jack stands or the ramps you drive up on, the more height the better. Its winter so a moving blanket or cardboard and a blanket to lay on. You really dont need those exhaust plyers, you could just use some channel locks or hammer and crescent wrench. Dont really need a torque wrench either but you do need a socket wrench with some extenders. Having a buddy hold 1 side of that while you tighten the bolts will save you some hassle.

100% doable but working on your back under a small car like that sucks dick

Aww man I don't own like any of this shit. Might be better to just have the shop do it?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Aww man I don't own like any of this shit. Might be better to just have the shop do it?
The local little mechanic shops do this shit every week and they would be cheaper compared to the mazda dealer I bet. Im sure you know someone with all those tools that would do it for a case of beer and a hundo if you help him or just shoot the shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The local little mechanic shops do this shit every week and they would be cheaper compared to the mazda dealer I bet. Im sure you know someone with all those tools that would do it for a case of beer and a hundo if you help him or just shoot the shit.
I think I'll just find someone on like Taskrabbit to come do this for $30 if I can.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Update: I ended up going with Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season run flats. I got the set of 4 installed with road hazard at BJs for $735. So far after just a day the ride feels just a little more stiff than the MXM4 but it could be they are brand new and its 30 degrees outside. Bj's ran the same $150 discount on 4x Pirelli and after reading reviews figured they were solid bang for the buck alternatives.
Turns out the tires were almost free. BJ's was running a $500 giveaway if you bought 4 tires. I entered and won. Got my shiny new $500 BJ's e-gift card yesterday.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went back a few pages but am sure this has been covered here before. Looking to pick something up to haul lumber and do some RV trailer towing. No fifth wheel size or weight. Seems around 7,000lb would do it based on what we were looking at yesterday. No off roading other than pulling to a camp spot. But also loading with sheets of ply and other materials. Was thinking a king cab or whatever bed that was only 5’ something might not be great. Some used 2018/2019 RAMs and Silverados around. Haven’t really checked on F150s. Trucks are so outside of my wheelhouse and all my friends hyper brand loyal. One GMC guy, a Chevy guy, and a Ford guy. So gettting advice from them is hilarious and fun and mostly involves them calling each other pussies.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ford is having to shift F150 production they announced due to a silicon chip shortage.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Went back a few pages but am sure this has been covered here before. Looking to pick something up to haul lumber and do some RV trailer towing. No fifth wheel size or weight. Seems around 7,000lb would do it based on what we were looking at yesterday. No off roading other than pulling to a camp spot. But also loading with sheets of ply and other materials. Was thinking a king cab or whatever bed that was only 5’ something might not be great. Some used 2018/2019 RAMs and Silverados around. Haven’t really checked on F150s. Trucks are so outside of my wheelhouse and all my friends hyper brand loyal. One GMC guy, a Chevy guy, and a Ford guy. So gettting advice from them is hilarious and fun and mostly involves them calling each other pussies.

It's pretty rare to see a pickup with a crew cab and a long bed but they do exist. They are kind of awkwardly long at that point though, especially if you ever need to park in an urban area. My grocery getter is a crew cab F-150 with an ecoboost engine. The bed is 6 feet I think but you can haul plywood or drywall or whatever with no problem, you just have to leave the tailgate down. The cab is very roomy and even tall men can sit comfortably in the back seat. I love the ecoboost. It gets 17-18 MPG on the highway and has tons of power. You can start to pass somebody at 75 and if you put it to the floor you'll be doing 100 by the time you get around them. I've pulled our car hauler trailer with 4 or 5 thousand pounds on it and you don't even know it's back there.

I have always driven Fords but I was as open minded as I could be and drove multiple chevys and dodges when I was shopping for this thing. I didn't care for the Dodges. Chevys were okay but I am glad I went with the Ford and especially the EcoBoost.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Look at Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Titans too.

Last I did some research on them (~10 years ago), they were higher rated by customers and "impartial reviewers" (like consumer reports) alike. They also had a higher percent of the vehicle parts made in the USA.

Maybe find an RV enthusiast website and see if there is any discussion on how well each truck pulls and hauls, because that's something you cant tell from a test drive. I cant really think of any profession that would have an active internet community that would discuss hauling trailers. Maybe construction(?), since there are so many small owner/operators in that industry.

Every vehicle I have owned (cars) have been GM or Ford, so I don't think I am too biased here. Out of the handful of trucks I have driven (mostly city driving, usually hauling ply and various building materials for smallish projects), I liked the Tacoma the most.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and picked up the RAM 1500. I really don't drive much anymore, the CX-5 had like 12,000 miles on it over two years. 100% work from home so no commute. Will be nice to just have some capability when I need it for hauling lumber or next year when I start getting serious about my RV. For now it is way overkill but whatever. Was really happy I was equitable (well I mean, however you want to look at it) on the CX-5 and not underwater. Gave me a couple/few extra $k to throw towards the new purchase.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Went ahead and picked up the RAM 1500. I really don't drive much anymore, the CX-5 had like 12,000 miles on it over two years. 100% work from home so no commute. Will be nice to just have some capability when I need it for hauling lumber or next year when I start getting serious about my RV. For now it is way overkill but whatever. Was really happy I was equitable (well I mean, however you want to look at it) on the CX-5 and not underwater. Gave me a couple/few extra $k to throw towards the new purchase.

Wife likes her cx-5 but i was shocked how little we can actually fit on the front seats. Smaller arm cubby etc, her purse has to go in the back almost with me up there. I find myself missing the tundra a bit. I never used the bed anymore, but I do miss the spacious cabin to just throw stuff wherever.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Opinions on slightly older trucks? Now that we are approaching our first spring/summer in our first house the GF and I are looking into basic trucks as a third vehicle. I'm tired of a tarp in the trunk of my hatchback at our pickup truck for dump runs and home depot purchases. Price range of 5-8k.

I've been zeroing in on mid-2000's Tundras with the indestructible V8, anything else I should look at? At this time we have no plans for any notable towing, this would be for dump runs, hardware store purchases, landscaping purchases, etc. I'm not worried about an 8 foot bed, 6ft is fine. I'm fine with 4x8 sheets hanging off the tailgate.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Eh, if you are just going to drive it a few miles a week anything is going to last forever. I don't think brand matters for something like that. Find something with relatively low miles and a good price and it will get the job done.

Sludig

Opinions on slightly older trucks? Now that we are approaching our first spring/summer in our first house the GF and I are looking into basic trucks as a third vehicle. I'm tired of a tarp in the trunk of my hatchback at our pickup truck for dump runs and home depot purchases. Price range of 5-8k.

I've been zeroing in on mid-2000's Tundras with the indestructible V8, anything else I should look at? At this time we have no plans for any notable towing, this would be for dump runs, hardware store purchases, landscaping purchases, etc. I'm not worried about an 8 foot bed, 6ft is fine. I'm fine with 4x8 sheets hanging off the tailgate.
If not towing etc, the smaller 4.7 v8 is arguablly even more reliable than the 5.7 v8. If you care about looks a bit newer ones have a better face, but it's the same truck for 20 years. Of course they hold value, 100k miles 2015 and I still got low 20's for it. If pure utility, if you can find a unicorn single cab or the double cab with 8foot youll appreciate. The 6ft is good for a lot of stuff but that extra 2 foot really is nice for getting things flat or even take 10ft stuff. One of the reasons I got a tundra was decent but not overlarge cab and still getting a 6.5 ft bed that lets you fit most couches etc, vs american big 3 usually were 5.5ft beds.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

Truck prices are insane right now. Would wait it out till after the covid price bubble ends

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
If not towing etc, the smaller 4.7 v8 is arguablly even more reliable than the 5.7 v8. If you care about looks a bit newer ones have a better face, but it's the same truck for 20 years. Of course they hold value, 100k miles 2015 and I still got low 20's for it. If pure utility, if you can find a unicorn single cab or the double cab with 8foot youll appreciate. The 6ft is good for a lot of stuff but that extra 2 foot really is nice for getting things flat or even take 10ft stuff. One of the reasons I got a tundra was decent but not overlarge cab and still getting a 6.5 ft bed that lets you fit most couches etc, vs american big 3 usually were 5.5ft beds.

Yeah the 4.7 is what I meant, first generation Tundra. Bed is too high on the second gen. My boss had one back when I was a lumberjack, fucking sucked getting stuff in and out of the bed except at the tailgate.

Sludig

Yeah the 4.7 is what I meant, first generation Tundra. Bed is too high on the second gen. My boss had one back when I was a lumberjack, fucking sucked getting stuff in and out of the bed except at the tailgate.
Lol, go mexican and slam it, real easy then.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I've got an '04 Ram with the above mentioned 4.7L in it. 219k miles and no major issues. Thing is a workhorse. I've heard trannies are shit for that year, but mine is a manual, so I've never had any problems. I imagine anything you fine in that range now will be well past the transmission problems and will likely be fine for another 100k.

Really curious how long I can go on it. 16.5 years old, I got it with single digit mileage and paid 30k for it. It's been a great investment and a very long time with no car payment.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Truck prices are insane right now. Would wait it out till after the covid price bubble ends

Interesting. In Houston, all trucks from the big 3 are 15-20% if you want them (except Raptors and TRX). Better quality, design, tech than Nissan and Toyota trucks too. Although, it's a truck state and too many are made each year.