Car ?'s

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
subbie has weird sound in the rear at different speeds, google says it's probably my wheel bearing.

seems like i'll have to live with it for a month until i move to new house (garage is a mess, moving, etc) (don't even have room to put jack stands on it to wiggle and spin the wheels for a real test)

already bought the 32mm socket and air hammer

i hope i won't have to resort to the slide hammer
e1d72005ff2fd064462eda8cd655e63e.png

What kind of incline does your drive way have and do you have a level sidewalk running through it?

If you just want to get it in the air to do a wiggle test, buy some wheel chocks for the fronts and use the level sidewalk to jack the rear from. I don't know if I would get too far under it though (an arm at most), and use a spotter (the wife) if you need to reach under the car.

Small semi-related story:
I thought I had bearing issues shortly after I had bought my car; before I got it up in the air. It had a weird clinking sound at low speeds, that I could only hear when the radio was off, or the windows were down.​
After going through a bunch of diagnostics, it ended up being missing bump stops on my shocks. The previous owner lowered the car, which caused the shocks to bottom out more often and ended up breaking the rubber stops. This in turn caused a washer, that normally sits on the top side of the stops, to clink against the top of the shocks when going over bumps. I replaced the stops, but they just broke again after a couple years.​

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What kind of incline does your drive way have and do you have a level sidewalk running through it?

If you just want to get it in the air to do a wiggle test, buy some wheel chocks for the fronts and use the level sidewalk to jack the rear from. I don't know if I would get too far under it though (an arm at most), and use a spotter (the wife) if you need to reach under the car.

Small semi-related story:
I thought I had bearing issues shortly after I had bought my car; before I got it up in the air. It had a weird clinking sound at low speeds, that I could only hear when the radio was off, or the windows were down.​
After going through a bunch of diagnostics, it ended up being missing bump stops on my shocks. The previous owner lowered the car, which caused the shocks to bottom out more often and ended up breaking the rubber stops. This in turn caused a washer, that normally sits on the top side of the stops, to clink against the top of the shocks when going over bumps. I replaced the stops, but they just broke again after a couple years.​

the driveway slope is minor like 10degrees and the sidewalk seems level, but my hoa doesn't allow repairs in the driveway (in the garage is fine), i mean no one cares tbh, but i'm moving out soon so i don't want to ruffle feathers.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So the transfer case in our 2013 F350 had a "rapid unscheduled disassembly" as Elon Musk would say, at 70mph yesterday. I was going downhill, no trailer, no load and all of a sudden it lost power and started fishtailing. I pulled over thinking I blew a tire and put it in park and to my surprise it kept rolling. Uh oh. Pretty dramatic, gear oil and transfer case parts all over the road. One of them stuck in the rear tire and it went flat immediately. Luckily I was only 5 miles out of town and a tow truck showed up in about 15 minutes. Hauled it to my mechanic who said "You really know how to break stuff". Remains to be seen if there is damage to the transmission or who knows what else. Sucks but it could have been worse. It had been pulling a trailer non-stop for the two weeks before that and it would have been much more inconvenient if it happened in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of cows on the back. No clue what happened. It had been making a clicking noise off and on, mostly when turning so I figured there was a stick or something stuck somewhere that was touching the tire but I didn't actually investigate. No clue if that was related. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in 4WD and the gearbox clearly had oil in it since it left a big slick on the road and then completely coated the back of the tow truck when he winched it on. Already dreading the price tag.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Ordered a tonneau cover from Amazon and paid to get it installed since I can’t do it myself, physically impossible for a person to lift the thing by himself to put it in position unless maybe you’re the guy who plays the mountain. Amazons matching system sucks, was the wrong one. Started a return and the guy talked to the lady and told them they cost me $125 installation and should reimburse me for it as well, which they did and then he showed me the model number I needed. Went back to Amazon and found the model number and the description and the price are different, sizable difference, $500 difference so I plan to gamble on getting the model number I’m ordering which is correct according to Retrax but described differently and priced differently on Amazon.

Amazons matching system for parts for your vehicle sucks, but at least I’m getting free installation out of this because I paid the company the $125 and was refunded the money through a courtesy credit and told me when I get the right size cover to come in no additional charge.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Had sensor replaced at the dealer here in my truck. Talking to the service manager he said they were mega backed up as usual due to waiting on parts. Said they were buying stuff aftermarket when they could find it like an O'Reilly alternator and fixing someones car so they could drive it off the lot and have use of it, also said they were giving the same warranty as a factory one. Friend is in charge of a service department in town at a Ford Dealer and he said the backlog to have it tested was 2 months now, waiting on parts and shit. Gah. No wonder price of used ones is through the roof.

Guy at the dealer said the owner had really persuaded guys on the lot not to buy the used ones people were bringing in since they were picking up a ton of them. Then he said the owner offered me X for my truck, right at what I paid for it lol.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Had sensor replaced at the dealer here in my truck. Talking to the service manager he said they were mega backed up as usual due to waiting on parts. Said they were buying stuff aftermarket when they could find it like an O'Reilly alternator and fixing someones car so they could drive it off the lot and have use of it, also said they were giving the same warranty as a factory one. Friend is in charge of a service department in town at a Ford Dealer and he said the backlog to have it tested was 2 months now, waiting on parts and shit. Gah. No wonder price of used ones is through the roof.

Guy at the dealer said the owner had really persuaded guys on the lot not to buy the used ones people were bringing in since they were picking up a ton of them. Then he said the owner offered me X for my truck, right at what I paid for it lol.
Vehicle prices are crazy at the moment, after tax title and license I paid under $31,000 for my truck and the same truck with fewer features (no spray in bed liner, power folding mirrors, heated seats) and 10,000 more miles is going for $39,000 before tax title and license. Shit is absurd, also look at dealerships as you pass them on your commute, while they aren’t barren most in my area are around 50% capacity.

Won’t find a better time to trade your vehicle in atm as well, they are paying top dollar for trade ins.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Vehicle prices are crazy at the moment, after tax title and license I paid under $31,000 for my truck and the same truck with fewer features (no spray in bed liner, power folding mirrors, heated seats) and 10,000 more miles is going for $39,000 before tax title and license. Shit is absurd, also look at dealerships as you pass them on your commute, while they aren’t barren most in my area are around 50% capacity.

Won’t find a better time to trade your vehicle in atm as well, they are paying top dollar for trade ins.

I have a 2019 RAM Lariat that I bought for like $44k ish maybe? I don't remember. Been thinking about trading it in.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I have a 2019 RAM Lariat that I bought for like $44k ish maybe? I don't remember. Been thinking about trading it in.
Lariat is Ford, Laramie is Dodge. If it’s 4x4 and under 60,000 miles it’s worth more than you paid currently based off prices in my area.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Picked up a vehicle from being repaired at the local ford dealership yesterday and I counted that they only had 9 pick-ups on the lot. Then as I left I noticed 2 of them had SOLD signs in the window. This place would usually have like 60 trucks on the lot. We need a new one but I wouldn't even think about trying to buy something right now.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Be careful if you go to sell, thinking you will get an awesome deal. You'll then have almost no inventory to choose from as a replacement and it will be top dollar.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My old 05 Civic is no longer worth repairing. Gas tank fell off recently, cost me almost $500 since it fucked up the fuel lines as well. I was already planning on taking it in to have a look at the suspension and the verdict on that is it's not worth it. Needs struts all around along with other things rotting out. Parking brake is fucked, but I never use it anyway. Goddamn NY winters killing my cars as usual.

So now I'm looking to get a small hatchback in the next few months and hoping I don't get fucked too badly by the current used car prices. A Subaru Impreza would be nice since I drive at night and it would make the unplowed roads easier in the winter. A Honda Fit would be next on my list. A friend has one and it's actually more comfortable than my Civic. Beyond that I have no real preferences other than prioritizing age a bit over mileage as it's always corrosion that gets me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My old 05 Civic is no longer worth repairing. Gas tank fell off recently, cost me almost $500 since it fucked up the fuel lines as well. I was already planning on taking it in to have a look at the suspension and the verdict on that is it's not worth it. Needs struts all around along with other things rotting out. Parking brake is fucked, but I never use it anyway. Goddamn NY winters killing my cars as usual.

So now I'm looking to get a small hatchback in the next few months and hoping I don't get fucked too badly by the current used car prices. A Subaru Impreza would be nice since I drive at night and it would make the unplowed roads easier in the winter. A Honda Fit would be next on my list. A friend has one and it's actually more comfortable than my Civic. Beyond that I have no real preferences other than prioritizing age a bit over mileage as it's always corrosion that gets me.
I say a wrx, having a 02 civic and going to an impreza, it feels like a fucking tank. Not saying its slow just fucking heavy, its at least 500 to half a ton more than te civic.

Ive driven wrx and when turbo kicks in, it feels right, impreza is fine but turbo makes better.

We were ging to get either a wrx or a legacy with turbo, then we moved so finances are on hold (along with crazy prces)

I say test drive wrx imo we drive the same civic, hell i dont even have vtec and it still feels zippier tan the impreza.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I say a wrx, having a 02 civic and going to an impreza, it feels like a fucking tank. Not saying its slow just fucking heavy, its at least 500 to half a ton more than te civic.

Ive driven wrx and when turbo kicks in, it feels right, impreza is fine but turbo makes better.

We were ging to get either a wrx or a legacy with turbo, then we moved so finances are on hold (along with crazy prces)

I say test drive wrx imo we drive the same civic, hell i dont even have vtec and it still feels zippier tan the impreza.

A WRX is pretty much out of the question. I want to keep this to $15k or less and don't need anything fancy, just a basic commuter car. I ran across a 2019 Impreza premium with eyesight package and 9k miles for just over $14k, but the catch was it's a rebuilt car that was totaled.

I've got an uncle who works for a local dealership looking for me in addition to checking around myself. Hopefully something reasonable turns up in the next few months.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ford is going to start removing the start/stop deal on trucks now because of the chip shortage. Apparently they can't get the chips that do that, good.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A WRX is pretty much out of the question. I want to keep this to $15k or less and don't need anything fancy, just a basic commuter car. I ran across a 2019 Impreza premium with eyesight package and 9k miles for just over $14k, but the catch was it's a rebuilt car that was totaled.

I've got an uncle who works for a local dealership looking for me in addition to checking around myself. Hopefully something reasonable turns up in the next few months.
With a salvage title get the vin and a google image search, those cars arw always on auction and you ll see how wrecked it was before it was restored.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
With a salvage title get the vin and a google image search, those cars arw always on auction and you ll see how wrecked it was before it was restored.
Yeah, I wouldn't even consider it without knowing exactly what happened to it and what work was done. At least the dealer is up front about it being a salvage. It's in MA but has a PA title and the dealer says MA doesn't allow PA salvage titles to be registered there.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Non-turbo Subaru of some kind, Hyundai Kona (people seem to love them), Mazda 3 AWD. I had three Subarus when I lived in Vermont and they conquered every winter with zero issue. Put on some Blizzaks and drive smart and they can't be stopped.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Ford is going to start removing the start/stop deal on trucks now because of the chip shortage. Apparently they can't get the chips that do that, good.
That shit is annoying as fuck in my wife’s grand Cherokee, first thing she does after starting it is turning it off.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That shit is annoying as fuck in my wife’s grand Cherokee, first thing she does after starting it is turning it off.

What's worse is the cars that don't let you disable it permanently so you actually have to hit a button every damn time. I'm surprised a Jeep can't permanently turn it off. On my Hellcat I could and that's the same FCA system.