Car ?'s

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
What's worse is the cars that don't let you disable it permanently so you actually have to hit a button every damn time. I'm surprised a Jeep can't permanently turn it off. On my Hellcat I could and that's the same FCA system.
She has to push the button after every time she starts it, ie goes to her car starts it pushes button gets to her destination shuts off engine shops come back start ignition push button. A switch to never have to do it again if you left off would be nice.

Fucker

Log Wizard
She has to push the button after every time she starts it, ie goes to her car starts it pushes button gets to her destination shuts off engine shops come back start ignition push button. A switch to never have to do it again if you left off would be nice.
Get a start stop disabler.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Wife and I are thinking about our next vehicle to get this summer. The idea of an electric car came up since we both have chargers at our office parking garages. Getting a small EV and only charging at work seems like a decent way to save on gas without the electric bill plus any rebates. Anything I should consider or I am not thinking of? Otherwise we’d spend the same amount on a gas vehicle so the initial cost is the same.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My truck is still chugging along with limited amount of new stuff. 2007.5 Z71 with 75,000 miles on it now. Used only on ranch roads and such. Not offroaded but the ranch roads get slick as greased pig shit when it rains. Seen several people not "stuck" just could't move from spinning the tires. It has onstar but I had it disabled by the dealer shortly after getting it. I had a bump gate, drive up to it bump it and it opens and you drive through before it closes. They're all over south, TX. First time I did it onstar called the sheriff. I told the sheriff to ignore it and he did but said get that shit turned off lol. All gauges no screens. Plain transportation. Dealer marked it way down after it was on the lot for 6 months. Fracking boom at the time and owner said he had no problem selling totally loaded crew cab 4wd diesels and such. No market for extended cab 4wd. Gonna hold onto it probably forever now. Still gets 19mpg.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A WRX is pretty much out of the question. I want to keep this to $15k or less and don't need anything fancy, just a basic commuter car. I ran across a 2019 Impreza premium with eyesight package and 9k miles for just over $14k, but the catch was it's a rebuilt car that was totaled.

I've got an uncle who works for a local dealership looking for me in addition to checking around myself. Hopefully something reasonable turns up in the next few months.

See if your uncle can use the dealership's Manheim account from home and, if so, ask if you can come over and do some research on his computer. They have an MMR tool that you can start plugging in different cars, and get the going dealer auction rate over the last ~6 months (and many more details). It allows you to kinda hone in your price range on what cars you may want to focus on. If you have a bunch of different cars that interest you, you can print/write out their average price, so you know a good deal when you see one, locally.

A $15k cap is enough that you may want to look at buying out of state, fly out, and taking a weekend to drive it home. You should get a few more years out of a car that spent it's previous years in the south, than a salty north.

If your uncle's dealership is really cool, they may even let you buy direct from auction for an extra ~10 percent to them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
I recently bought a new vehicle. I had my last truck ceramic coated by a professional detailer. I'm thinking about doing it myself. Seen plenty of Youtube videos on how to do it and feel like I could do it myself. Anyone with experience here is able to tell me if it's a decent DIY project or if I'm way over my head on this.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
It's not too difficult, but you have to make sure the car is perfectly clean before applying and any/all swirls scratches are buffed out as the ceramic will just cover those after it cures and sort of bake them in. The application of the material isn't too tough, just go slow and be thorough! Took me a few hours to do it right on my Porsche, and that was a pretty small vehicle. On a truck it may take a while and usually cures within 5 days I think. Just don't get it wet until it cures

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I recently bought a new vehicle. I had my last truck ceramic coated by a professional detailer. I'm thinking about doing it myself. Seen plenty of Youtube videos on how to do it and feel like I could do it myself. Anyone with experience here is able to tell me if it's a decent DIY project or if I'm way over my head on this.
Have a dealer do it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My kid paid cash for a new Corolla this year, figured for her birthday I'd get her a remote start for it, because MN winters are brutal and she ain't parking in the garage.

Is any of the aftermarket stuff good, or should I take it to the dealer and do it? Generally try to avoid going to a dealership for anything, but when you're wiring anything into the electrical system, you're one minimum wage retard away from battery issues for life.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My kid paid cash for a new Corolla this year, figured for her birthday I'd get her a remote start for it, because MN winters are brutal and she ain't parking in the garage.

Is any of the aftermarket stuff good, or should I take it to the dealer and do it? Generally try to avoid going to a dealership for anything, but when you're wiring anything into the electrical system, you're one minimum wage retard away from battery issues for life.
looks easy

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My wife got her first ever brand new car last week. She went from a 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited (6 cyl) to a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition. It's a nice vehicle, and does exactly what she wanted, not to mention a lot of shit she didn't even understand at first.

I'm happy for her finally upgrading.
She was initially going to get a Honda CR-V, but they didn't have any on hand that she liked. And the rest were like a month out. They also stacked on $4-5k "transfer" fees on top of that, so even a cheap CR-V was going to have $36-37k opening price. Ridiculous.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My wife got her first ever brand new car last week. She went from a 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited (6 cyl) to a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition. It's a nice vehicle, and does exactly what she wanted, not to mention a lot of shit she didn't even understand at first.

I'm happy for her finally upgrading.
She was initially going to get a Honda CR-V, but they didn't have any on hand that she liked. And the rest were like a month out. They also stacked on $4-5k "transfer" fees on top of that, so even a cheap CR-V was going to have $36-37k opening price. Ridiculous.
isn't the transfer fee cuz you live in the most civilized remote island?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's a bunch of nonsense. Realistically, they only charge a $700 destination fee for here, but I think they charge that for every car all around the country. Maybe a little extra out here, but not much. They're adding an additional $4-5k on top just because of the chip shortage and dumb fucks will spend the extra money for... reasons.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone know what the part is called that controls the locks in an electronic locking system?

“I hit my key fob, the ____ locks the doors.”

the physical part that engages the lock after it receives the signal

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know what the part is called that controls the locks in an electronic locking system?

the actuator?

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Miss read the question