Car ?'s

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want to like the EV6 from Kia, because I'm pretty sure they're going to end production on the Stinger and use the EV6 as their new "performance" model. Problem is, they made it a fucking goddamn crossover, so it looks like 95% of all cars on the road. The hood design is fantastic, it's just everything else that screams, "I'm a mom who gave up". I want something electric for my daily commute, but I agree with @Springbok that everything is just dogshit ugly.

And there's no fucking reason for everything to be ugly. I never understood why hybrids and EVs had to be made so retarded looking.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And there's no fucking reason for everything to be ugly. I never understood why hybrids and EVs had to be made so retarded looking.
Look at the Chevy Volt and then the Chevy Bolt. Everyone (myself included) assumed the Bolt would be a Volt without the gas engine. Newp. Total piece of shit bug car compared to the Volt.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You're gonna be spending 6 figures on a BMW with a V8 in Europe these days. I'm not spending that kind of money.
3 cylinder hybrid then?
Gemera_exterior_5_high.jpg

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Annnnd back reality.

I have a 2013 4Runner that just broke 80K miles. It's in really good shape all around but even with 2 kids, it's rare that I actually utilize the space. Also, at a hair over 17 mpg I'm dropping around $230/mon in gas. KBB puts the dealer trade in at $25k, though I do have an accident on record.

We're pretty happy with Toyota and the Highlander hybrid hits the mark for size/utility/efficiency. I've never leased a car but pricing it out on the Toyota site, if I can get $22k for the 4Runner, I'll actually be paying less to drive the Highlander - and that's not including routine/other maintenance over 24 months.

Or I finance with a monthly TCO under 400 for the first 2 years then maintenance costs afterwards...

Or wait it out another couple years until car prices are a little more reasonable but my trade in value drops.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
As someone who works in insurance I always point out that you don’t own a leased vehicle. If you get totaled out any money you put in to it goes to the leasing company and they don’t have to give anything in the payout.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Annnnd back reality.

I have a 2013 4Runner that just broke 80K miles. It's in really good shape all around but even with 2 kids, it's rare that I actually utilize the space. Also, at a hair over 17 mpg I'm dropping around $230/mon in gas. KBB puts the dealer trade in at $25k, though I do have an accident on record.

We're pretty happy with Toyota and the Highlander hybrid hits the mark for size/utility/efficiency. I've never leased a car but pricing it out on the Toyota site, if I can get $22k for the 4Runner, I'll actually be paying less to drive the Highlander - and that's not including routine/other maintenance over 24 months.

Or I finance with a monthly TCO under 400 for the first 2 years then maintenance costs afterwards...

Or wait it out another couple years until car prices are a little more reasonable but my trade in value drops.
Buy a CPO Tesla. If you don't need space get a Model S or Model 3. If you do need space a Model Y (if you can find one CPO). A Model X if you are Scrooge McDuck. Brent Crude brok3 $90 a barrel this week. Paying less than $1 a day to charge it makes up the purchase price difference over a long enough timeline.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As someone who works in insurance I always point out that you don’t own a leased vehicle. If you get totaled out any money you put in to it goes to the leasing company and they don’t have to give anything in the payout.

Leases have gap insurance included at no cost. It's standard industry procedure. Generally speaking, a total loss from a lease costs someone less than a total loss from a finance. Sucks either way, but at least you had use of the vehicle at a lower cost during the lease.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Annnnd back reality.

Using and maintaining an existing car will almost always be cheaper than buying a new car and assuming higher payments AND/OR insurance rates. You've got a Toyota, it'll last longer than we will.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Annnnd back reality.

It is strange to trade a paid for car for a leased car. Primary purpose for trading is space and fuel economy...Highlander has more of both.

Sell the car yourself for $27.5k, use that as a down payment on Highlander.

Or keep the 4Runner because it isn't even broken in yet and will easily go another 10 years before you have to fix anything on it. You will be hard pressed to find another vehicle on the planet that is as reliable as that one is.

Do the Math™ and you will find out you are way ahead keeping what you have until the fenders fall off of it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Excluding businesses, leases are really for those who want some new and shiny every 3 years or want something they can't actually afford and figure they will just rent it rather than build equity.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It is strange to trade a paid for car for a leased car. Primary purpose for trading is space and fuel economy...Highlander has more of both.

Sell the car yourself for $27.5k, use that as a down payment on Highlander.

Or keep the 4Runner because it isn't even broken in yet and will easily go another 10 years before you have to fix anything on it. You will be hard pressed to find another vehicle on the planet that is as reliable as that one is.

Do the Math™ and you will find out you are way ahead keeping what you have until the fenders fall off of it.

People ask why I keep driving the same truck I bought new 18 years ago.

"uhh, because it turns out that not having a car payment for 13 years fucking kicks ass?"

240k miles. Yeah, it's got rust, yeah, some shit don't work anymore. Still fucking drives. What's the problem?

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Leases have gap insurance included at no cost. It's standard industry procedure. Generally speaking, a total loss from a lease costs someone less than a total loss from a finance. Sucks either way, but at least you had use of the vehicle at a lower cost during the lease.
You are right that they have Gap built in.Gap insurance only covers the difference between what is owed and the value of the car. If the car is worth less than what it’s value is the gap insurance only covers that. It doesn’t cover down payment or other fees. And if there is positive equity it goes to the leasing company and not the person who was leasing the car.

If you have a loan you can get gap insurance with your finance company. If the car is worth more than what you owe the gap insurance doesn’t come into play and you get all the positive equity.

tldr Your perception is wrong about the cost if the car is a total loss. You get nothing from a lease and you get all the positive equity if you have a loan.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You are right that they have Gap built in.Gap insurance only covers the difference between what is owed and the value of the car. If the car is worth less than what it’s value is the gap insurance only covers that. It doesn’t cover down payment or other fees. And if there is positive equity it goes to the leasing company and not the person who was leasing the car.

If you have a loan you can get gap insurance with your finance company. If the car is worth more than what you owe the gap insurance doesn’t come into play and you get all the positive equity.

tldr Your perception is wrong about the cost if the car is a total loss. You get nothing from a lease and you get all the positive equity if you have a loan.

Why would anyone do capital cost reduction on a lease? It's wasted money.

And I'd counter that your assumption that there is positive equity on most car loans is incorrect.

• 1Worf

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a VW Atlas, Acura MDX, or Lexus GX460 and can provide some feedback on why those chose it? I need to get one with captains chairs in the middle row.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have a VW Atlas, Acura MDX, or Lexus GX460 and can provide some feedback on why those chose it? I need to get one with captains chairs in the middle row.
I own a GX460. It's not really in the same league as the others. It's a 5,200 lb body on frame (lift-able) NA V8 full-time 4x4. Think of it as a smaller format Landcruiser (overseas its called a Landcruiser Prado) or a 4Runner with all the options (4Runners haven't had v8 since like 2004, though). There's a pretty good overland cult following for the GX460.

The Atlas and MDX are almost certainly going to get better milage and be nimbler. They probably have more room in the interior. But they also have totally inferior engines and awd systems.

Check out ih8mud or the GXOR reddit if you are interested in that sort of thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I own a GX460. It's not really in the same league as the others. It's a 5,200 lb body on frame (lift-able) NA V8 full-time 4x4. Think of it as a smaller format Landcruiser (overseas its called a Landcruiser Prado) or a 4Runner with all the options (4Runners haven't had v8 since like 2004, though). There's a pretty good overland cult following for the GX460.

The Atlas and MDX are almost certainly going to get better milage and be nimbler. They probably have more room in the interior. But they also have totally inferior engines and awd systems.

Check out ih8mud or the GXOR reddit if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm exploring the list of cars my wife wants. She's not towing anything or going off-road particularly. There are quite a few in the three row/midsize SUV range so its pretty tough narrowing them down unless you find a "deal" that sticks out. Do not want a "fullsize" . Tahoe & highlander also in the mix but the the new highlanders aren't our fave. I drive a 4runner already.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Look at Palisade/Telluride other than being kinda in that big category. But you said 3 row so /shrug.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for your feedback. I'm exploring the list of cars my wife wants. She's not towing anything or going off-road particularly. There are quite a few in the three row/midsize SUV range so its pretty tough narrowing them down unless you find a "deal" that sticks out. Do not want a "fullsize" . Tahoe & highlander also in the mix but the the new highlanders aren't our fave. I drive a 4runner already.
Cool. Yeah, coming from a 4Runner you have a good idea then. I don't have them, but captains chairs in the second row seems good to me, but the third row in the GX460 is pretty useless.

I don't know much about the Atlas. I tend to think VW is all about the GTI/R.

If you test drive an MDX, see if it has something called Variable Cylinder Management and how noticeable it is. It's Honda/Acura's way of deactivating 2 of 6 cylinders for efficiency. I didn't like it at all in the Pilot I had. Maybe they've refined the system, but I'm distrustful of an engine with uneven cylinder wear.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I explored the Atlas for my wife the year it came put. It's basically a Tiguan on steroids. If you like the Tiguan then you will probably like it. It's pretty f-ing big but not insanely high since it's not built on a truck chassis.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Anybody got a recommendation for a ratcheting wrench set? I had a cheap metric set from harbor freight and it came in real handy while working in the tight areas around my truck suspension. Unfortunately I torqued harder than the ratcheting mechanism could take and need to get a new set. I figured I might as well get a set that will last (and treat it more gently!).