Car ?'s

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that's why I wasn't too concerned about an ELI5 summary. I was being a pain in the ass and they got their taste. Total was ~$550 after taxes and tacking on reading out the diagnostic code on Monday. A bit eyerolly, but they probably could have fucked me a half dozen other ways.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wife is stranded 6 hours away, so apologies on asking for diagnostic help via second hand information.

She was driving the car, Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, when the check engine light came on and the system strongly suggested pulling over. She did so and turned the car off because it was beeping at her incessantly. When she turns it back on, check engine light, still beeping, and it's now complaining about an error in the pre-collision system(PCS). The PCS is a bunch of sensors that yell(and forcibly brake the car I think?) if it thinks you're going to hit something.

Shifting the car into drive does nothing. It can be shifted into neutral and pushed. She said the brakes felt a bit weak.

Towed it to a dealership and they want the PCS fixed before considering any other work. The front right sensor was damaged in a collision four years ago and sometimes gets finnicky if there's a bunch of snow on it, but otherwise never had this kind of problem. I asked the dealership to read out the diagnostic code anyway, but that's mid afternoon according to them because prioritizing is for idiots. I would like to make plans getting the wife and kid home in the meantime.

What kind of problems or questions can I point the dealership towards? As I said, they weren't even going to consider reading out the diagnostic code until I mentioned it. So, what can I ask them to look at?
i'm sure this is too late, but for next time maybe

idk what it's called but theres a way to bypass not being able to put the car in drive cuz of some funky shit, my subbie has it
35160fj000.jpg

that little circle cover above park, flip it out and use a screw driver to press an over ride button and you can get the car fully driving again (if you stop it and put it in park, it'll need it again)

i googled a rav4 hybrid and they have the same circle cover thing too
4-3_xlarge.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Wife is stranded 6 hours away, so apologies on asking for diagnostic help via second hand information.

She was driving the car, Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, when the check engine light came on and the system strongly suggested pulling over. She did so and turned the car off because it was beeping at her incessantly. When she turns it back on, check engine light, still beeping, and it's now complaining about an error in the pre-collision system(PCS). The PCS is a bunch of sensors that yell(and forcibly brake the car I think?) if it thinks you're going to hit something.

Shifting the car into drive does nothing. It can be shifted into neutral and pushed. She said the brakes felt a bit weak.

Towed it to a dealership and they want the PCS fixed before considering any other work. The front right sensor was damaged in a collision four years ago and sometimes gets finnicky if there's a bunch of snow on it, but otherwise never had this kind of problem. I asked the dealership to read out the diagnostic code anyway, but that's mid afternoon according to them because prioritizing is for idiots. I would like to make plans getting the wife and kid home in the meantime.

What kind of problems or questions can I point the dealership towards? As I said, they weren't even going to consider reading out the diagnostic code until I mentioned it. So, what can I ask them to look at?

Try toying with the fuse box to see if you can disconnect the PCS, that should fix it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got the car back. It was "hose clamp loose on air intake". Wife was reminded about having to break extremely hard prior to the accident upon reading that...

Anyway, car drove back fine, so I guess this was just a latent issue that was going to happen sooner or later. Appreciate all the feedback, especially the bypass tip, but I doubt that would have helped in this case.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The trend of adding a bunch of blue because it’s hybrid or EV is the fucking worst. It’s basically the virtue signaling of the auto industry. Sand paper hand jobs for anyone who came up with or signed off on that shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Trust Jeep to fuck up an EV.

No what I meant is, why does it have a hood thats that long unless there's storage or some reason, generally EV's don't have anything under the hood and they are only that way for styling. Seems like Jeep really wanted their EV Wrangler to "look like a wrangler". Is there storage under the hood? Will the production version move the seats forward and shorten the hood to give more room and maybe 4 seats? This one looks really short but also would have room for 4 seats if they use their space wisely.

However.. I'm sure this isn't really intended to be a practical vehicle, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No what I meant is, why does it have a hood thats that long unless there's storage or some reason, generally EV's don't have anything under the hood and they are only that way for styling. Seems like Jeep really wanted their EV Wrangler to "look like a wrangler". Is there storage under the hood? Will the production version move the seats forward and shorten the hood to give more room and maybe 4 seats? This one looks really short but also would have room for 4 seats if they use their space wisely.

However.. I'm sure this isn't really intended to be a practical vehicle, so maybe it doesn't matter.
maybe they put the batteries that go boom boom in the hood instead of lining the undercarriage cuz a jeep is always used for off terrain and the undercarriage constantly gets redneck abused

*edit yup
it's a hallow'd out wrangler, even the drive train is the same, just took out the engine and put all ev stuff in the engine bay
(and more batteries in the backseat)

cuz atm it's only a two seater

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And it has a 6-speed transmission because... who knows. This is why Tesla wins the EV wars. Because its competition is just stupid. Tesla wrote the roadmap for how to make EV vehicles. This is just some proto that will never go beyond the concept stage.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Seems like an off road vehicle would be a good platform for independent motors on all 4 wheels. Being able to specify which wheels turn when seems like it might be useful going over rocks and such. I think I read that the cybertruck might have that option. It does seem like skid plates might be extra important if the batteries are in the bottom of the vehicle.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And it has a 6-speed transmission because... who knows. This is why Tesla wins the EV wars. Because its competition is just stupid. Tesla wrote the roadmap for how to make EV vehicles. This is just some proto that will never go beyond the concept stage.
the plaid uses the knight rider steering wheel to avoid looking at a steering wheel
GettyImages-162297340.jpg

but everyone who has driven a KITT mockup w/ that steering wheel hates it cuz it's impractical to use daily.

probably looks cool on autopilot tho

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Absolutely not arguing, just wondering, why is the 6 speed tranny bad? Is it an auto or manual? Should it have way more speeds to be efficient/smooth?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Absolutely not arguing, just wondering, why is the 6 speed tranny bad? Is it an auto or manual? Should it have way more speeds to be efficient/smooth?
Short answer (not an engineer): It has to do with the power curve and how an electric motor VS gasoline engine produce torque differently. A gasoline engine has low torque at low RPM, so it needs various sizes of gears to convert that low torque to the wheels though various speeds. An electric motor, on the other hand, has high torque at low RPM and an almost linear drop off though it's rpms (mostly).

This means that an electric engine can use one gear to get the same or better performance of a multi-speed transmission.

Here is a graph of a comparative 4 speed (gears) attached to an engine vs 1 gear attached to an electric motor (couldn't find one for 6 speed):
Torque-speed-characteristics-of-electric-motors-and-internal-combustion-engines.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Burns covered it, but imagine turning on your vacuum cleaner and having to shift it to get it up to max power. EVs just go. It's why they have such insane acceleration.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Seems like an off road vehicle would be a good platform for independent motors on all 4 wheels. Being able to specify which wheels turn when seems like it might be useful going over rocks and such. I think I read that the cybertruck might have that option. It does seem like skid plates might be extra important if the batteries are in the bottom of the vehicle.
The Rivian R1T does this, it’s pretty impressive.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And, its really easy to recharge in the woods or on a trail somewhere during your 3-5 day camping trip.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
And, its really easy to recharge in the woods or on a trail somewhere during your 3-5 day camping trip.
I haven't camped regularly in years and have never taken a vehicle into the 'wilderness'. How far do people typically drive if you're taking jeep or whatever off-road to camp?

Genuine question.