Car ?'s

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Anybody got a recommendation for a ratcheting wrench set? I had a cheap metric set from harbor freight and it came in real handy while working in the tight areas around my truck suspension. Unfortunately I torqued harder than the ratcheting mechanism could take and need to get a new set. I figured I might as well get a set that will last (and treat it more gently!).

If all you broke is the ratchet handle and you’re happy with the sockets, go back to harbor freight and by a new one. Their composite handles are actually very nice. They feel good in your hand and they’re not cold in the winter.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If all you broke is the ratchet handle and you’re happy with the sockets, go back to harbor freight and by a new one. Their composite handles are actually very nice. They feel good in your hand and they’re not cold in the winter.
could just get same one, lifetime warrenties on their stuff, just bring in broken item, find a new one and show them, no receipt needed

• 1Solidarity

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
My Harbor Freight ratchets and sockets have been awesome, for 10+ years. I would not spend money on anything over them.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When you say you've had tools for 10 years you kind of have to say how often you use them too. Anything will last 10 years if you only use it twice a year to change a tire on your kid's bike.

Probably no reason to replace the sockets though (possible exception is if the shitty laser etched numbers have worn off of them and they don't have stamped ones as well). Maybe get a Craftsman ratchet or the like since you've already proven you can break the HF one. My Dad bought a 3/4" drive socket set from the precursor to Harbor Freight, those tool trucks that used to come around and have outdoor sales from time to time. Ratchet broke so he just welded it solid and declared it to be a breaker bar and then bought a better quality ratchet. The sockets are 25+ years old now and have survived my big ass jumping up and down at the end of a 6 foot cheater on various occasions without breaking. Still use the "breaker bar" as well.

• 1Solidarity

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
When you say you've had tools for 10 years you kind of have to say how often you use them too. Anything will last 10 years if you only use it twice a year to change a tire on your kid's bike.

Brake jobs, caliper replacements, exhaust repairs, installing new coilovers, parting out a 240sx to a raw chassis, various non-car work requiring wrenches/sockets.

My harbor freight tools have seen some shit.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just make sure you don't use ratcheting wrenches trying to break shit loose and they'll last forever.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wife is stranded 6 hours away, so apologies on asking for diagnostic help via second hand information.

She was driving the car, Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, when the check engine light came on and the system strongly suggested pulling over. She did so and turned the car off because it was beeping at her incessantly. When she turns it back on, check engine light, still beeping, and it's now complaining about an error in the pre-collision system(PCS). The PCS is a bunch of sensors that yell(and forcibly brake the car I think?) if it thinks you're going to hit something.

Shifting the car into drive does nothing. It can be shifted into neutral and pushed. She said the brakes felt a bit weak.

Towed it to a dealership and they want the PCS fixed before considering any other work. The front right sensor was damaged in a collision four years ago and sometimes gets finnicky if there's a bunch of snow on it, but otherwise never had this kind of problem. I asked the dealership to read out the diagnostic code anyway, but that's mid afternoon according to them because prioritizing is for idiots. I would like to make plans getting the wife and kid home in the meantime.

What kind of problems or questions can I point the dealership towards? As I said, they weren't even going to consider reading out the diagnostic code until I mentioned it. So, what can I ask them to look at?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wife is stranded 6 hours away, so apologies on asking for diagnostic help via second hand information.

She was driving the car, Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, when the check engine light came on and the system strongly suggested pulling over. She did so and turned the car off because it was beeping at her incessantly. When she turns it back on, check engine light, still beeping, and it's now complaining about an error in the pre-collision system(PCS). The PCS is a bunch of sensors that yell(and forcibly brake the car I think?) if it thinks you're going to hit something.

Shifting the car into drive does nothing. It can be shifted into neutral and pushed. She said the brakes felt a bit weak.

Towed it to a dealership and they want the PCS fixed before considering any other work. The front right sensor was damaged in a collision four years ago and sometimes gets finnicky if there's a bunch of snow on it, but otherwise never had this kind of problem. I asked the dealership to read out the diagnostic code anyway, but that's mid afternoon according to them because prioritizing is for idiots. I would like to make plans getting the wife and kid home in the meantime.

What kind of problems or questions can I point the dealership towards? As I said, they weren't even going to consider reading out the diagnostic code until I mentioned it. So, what can I ask them to look at?

Personally, I'd demand they disable that system so she can drive home and you can get it looked at locally, on your time. Its not necessary to the operation of the vehicle (like brakes, alternators, fuel pumps, etc.). If its' just that one sensor that was damaged, you can follow the trail from the bumper to the computer and its likely a piece of hardware you need to replace. $$$ if you got it on your own from RockAuto or even direct from Toyota, or $$$$$$ if you let the dealer order it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Personally, I'd demand they disable that system so she can drive home and you can get it looked at locally, on your time. Its not necessary to the operation of the vehicle (like brakes, alternators, fuel pumps, etc.). If its' just that one sensor that was damaged, you can follow the trail from the bumper to the computer and its likely a piece of hardware you need to replace. $$$ if you got it on your own from RockAuto or even direct from Toyota, or $$$$$$ if you let the dealer order it.
Fair enough point on the sensor itself, but I suspect it's a red herring. We've had issues with it before, and while annoying and flashy, it didn't prevent actual operation of the car. I did ask her to turn the system off and it made no difference. Whether that meant "stop yelling at me when the PCS detects imminent danger" or "disable the sensor", I don't know.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fair enough point on the sensor itself, but I suspect it's a red herring. We've had issues with it before, and while annoying and flashy, it didn't prevent actual operation of the car. I did ask her to turn the system off and it made no difference. Whether that meant "stop yelling at me when the PCS detects imminent danger" or "disable the sensor", I don't know.

I'd say have the entire pre-collision system turned off for the time being, whether that's through coding or pulling a fuse, or unplugging the sensor, I'm not sure. If that then allows the car to be driven properly, get it home and diagnose then. Its possible the dealer won't (or doesn't want to) do that for liability reasons, I'm not sure.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'd say have the entire pre-collision system turned off for the time being, whether that's through coding or pulling a fuse, or unplugging the sensor, I'm not sure. If that then allows the car to be driven properly, get it home and diagnose then. Its possible the dealer won't (or doesn't want to) do that for liability reasons, I'm not sure.

They finally got around to reading the diagnostic code(twice!), "engine won't start". I don't think it's the PCS sensors, and turning them off definitely won't help. However, I'm willing to bet they're suffering from a root electrical system problem. Maybe that shit will be covered by the warranty.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They finally got around to reading the diagnostic code(twice!), "engine won't start". I don't think it's the PCS sensors, and turning them off definitely won't help. However, I'm willing to bet they're suffering from a root electrical system problem. Maybe that shit will be covered by the warranty.
Just hope it isn't a chip that fried that has a 2 year backorder.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Based on my experience with car electrical problems...

Def Jam Burn GIF by Universal Music MY

The dealerships don't understand the electronics and everyone else knows even less.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sure feels that way. But just paid the fucker off last year and it's only got ~60k on it.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

I hate that these systems are all named by each OEM's marketing department rather than an industry standard. Based on the location of the damaged sensor you're talking about, I don't think that's the pre-collision sensor, it's likely one of the parking SONAR sensors. I looked it up to be sure and Pre-collision on a Toyota is typically the RADAR and depending on the vehicle's vintage, forward facing camera like I was assuming. They usually like to locate the RADAR behind the nameplate nowadays - you can tell if your nameplate looks like it's embedded in a bigger piece of plastic. Typically you can disable the system via the instrument cluster if you don't have a hardkey in the dash somewhere. It'll also usually turn off if you disable vehicle dynamic control (slip indicator).

*edit* forgot to add, in no way should it be considered unsafe to drive with that system in a faulted state (it might have even been an option for that model year), so, if they continue to refuse I'd be looking elsewhere.

Anyway, I would agree that this is likely a red herring - I've never seen that system cause a no-start. First thing I would be checking is the battery voltage and the charging system. Hybrids usually have a pretty half-assed 12V battery and use a dc-dc converter instead of an alternator, if that converter faults out for some reason it can flake out the vehicle quickly.

I'd check 12v battery and would also run diagnostics on the whole vehicle, not just the pre collision system.

Assuming the battery is healthy, you could try disconnecting the 12V battery negative terminal for about a minute, reconnecting, and attempting to start. Could at least afford you to drive to a better dealership if it works.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Amazing what talking to a manager can accomplish. Afterwards, problems were found and ultimately diagnosed. I want to say this is what they were doing all along, but the guy I was talking to originally slurred his words so much that it made me question his intelligence. Also, he sounded stressed the fuck out and we were one question away from causing him to mentally break down.

Anyway, they said no fuel was getting to the engine. After further diagnosis, he said, I THINK, that a clamp was loose. Or something. Remember that this guy is pretty mealy mouthed. The quote for fixing it wasn't unreasonable and we've been riding the guy pretty hard, so I figured it wasn't worth it as long they ended up fixing it. Which they did, this morning.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazing what talking to a manager can accomplish. Afterwards, problems were found and ultimately diagnosed. I want to say this is what they were doing all along, but the guy I was talking to originally slurred his words so much that it made me question his intelligence. Also, he sounded stressed the fuck out and we were one question away from causing him to mentally break down.

Anyway, they said no fuel was getting to the engine. After further diagnosis, he said, I THINK, that a clamp was loose. Or something. Remember that this guy is pretty mealy mouthed. The quote for fixing it wasn't unreasonable and we've been riding the guy pretty hard, so I figured it wasn't worth it as long they ended up fixing it. Which they did, this morning.

Wow, that's about as unrelated an issue as it could be, from where this started.

Also, a "loose clamp" is about $1.49 in parts and 5 minutes of labor unless it was for the fuel pump INSIDE the tank. Better have been a good price.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wow, that's about as unrelated an issue as it could be, from where this started.

Also, a "loose clamp" is about $1.49 in parts and 5 minutes of labor unless it was for the fuel pump INSIDE the tank. Better have been a good price.
The fix itself was cheap. The couple hours of labor for diagnostic work were about what you'd expect for a major metro area. Bill came out to just under $400 before taxes. Knowing no fuel was getting to the engine I guess was easy? Figuring out where the problem from gas tank to engine I guess not so much. I'll admit I don't know enough about cars to verify whether that's true or not.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think $400 is about as cheap as you will ever get out of a dealership unless you're just there for an oil change.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I am usually happy if I get out of a dealership without $400 or more being tacked on to what I expected to pay. Last time they broke 5 studs on my wheels. At least one on each wheel of course. It was going to be $700 extra but they were “able to work with me” and get it down to half that.