Car ?'s

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They both are urban non-work vehicles. Reality is the Lightning cant actually be used as a work truck with it's limited range. And wait until they try the tow test in the winter with the heater on. They might get 50 or 60 miles range.
For sure no proper heavy duty all day kind of stuff, but really what percentage of kid sized trucks are used for actual work like that?

After the wife and I getting jobs within 5 miles of home we’ve been trading off driving the Model 3 and 4Runner based on distance required for the day. She hates driving the 4Runner (especially after switching to the Model 3) which is hilarious because I originally told her it was way more car than we needed (didn’t even have kids at the time).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Now look at theirs and the GM hummer weight. Talking heavy enough to need a CDL technically in many states by weight. That limited range, makes the thought of athe big rig electrics laughable. (Just imagine the damage to roads/bridges if the scale of weight increase on electric trucks was added to an 18 wheeler before adding their actual load. )

Until massive leaps in battery tech, the proper place is still basically suburban city passenger cars.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Now look at theirs and the GM hummer weight. Talking heavy enough to need a CDL technically in many states by weight. That limited range, makes the thought of athe big rig electrics laughable. (Just imagine the damage to roads/bridges if the scale of weight increase on electric trucks was added to an 18 wheeler before adding their actual load. )

Until massive leaps in battery tech, the proper place is still basically suburban city passenger cars.
Yeah my MX is a crossover suv and it weighs in at just over 7,000 pounds.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I think the Lightning looks awesome and would be really fun to drive, especially with that giant frunk. It falls apart if you try to tow something though. Looking like less than 100 mile range pulling a decent sized trailer which is just unusable. People don't really pull trailers that much with a half ton pickup but it's nice to have the option.
I haven't paid attention to it at all. 100 miles range doing truck things makes me wonder why they even bothered. With charging, it would add 60 hours to my upcoming move. From 9 hours to 69. Progress!

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't paid attention to it at all. 100 miles range doing truck things makes me wonder why they even bothered. With charging, it would add 60 hours to my upcoming move. From 9 hours to 69. Progress!
To be fair, a lot of F-150s are just daily drivers for people who live in cities and it can do that no problem, including hauling shit home from the Home Depot and even pulling a U-Haul trailer for a cross town move. You're not going to hook up the camper or boat and go to the lake for the weekend though unless it's real close. You're definitely not going to pull a U-Haul cross country either, but most people aren't doing things like that much. Not trying to minimize your move, but buying a vehicle based on that would be pretty dumb for most people.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw a Rivian truck the other day and was surprise at how small it was. More Ford Ranger and less F150, and I was expecting it to be closer to the latter. Still pretty cool looking.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I saw a Rivian truck the other day and was surprise at how small it was. More Ford Ranger and less F150, and I was expecting it to be closer to the latter. Still pretty cool looking.
Yeah, I seems to be about half way between a Tacoma and Tundra. Never compared actual dimensions though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20years ago i did this hack to get a RAID card (raid was not common back then), it's basically an ata66 card that if you soldered 1 transistor, a $20 hard drive controller becomes a $200 RAID card w/ a new bios

what would happen if you brought this computer to geeksquad, they saw this hack and said, wow youre not supposed to have this RAID card, lemme downgrade your firmware to the original card.

thats what tesla did
and telsas OTA updates keep saying fuck you

while the car is parked in his driveway, Tesla calls him to tell him that they found and fixed a configuration mistake with his car. They remotely software locked the car to be a 60 again, despite having been a 90 for years. He now has ~80 miles less range.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
20years ago i did this hack to get a RAID card (raid was not common back then), it's basically an ata66 card that if you soldered 1 transistor, a $20 hard drive controller becomes a $200 RAID card w/ a new bios

what would happen if you brought this computer to geeksquad, they saw this hack and said, wow youre not supposed to have this RAID card, lemme downgrade your firmware to the original card.

thats what tesla did
and telsas OTA updates keep saying fuck you
Shitty situation and I am sure at some point it gets resolved. Welcome to the issues of being out on the edge of technology. I look at the overall numbers and think with 2 million cards sold stuff like this will pop up once in a while.

on a related note: Elon apparently was feeling funny and added two new voice commands to the Tesla fleet. "Open/Close Butthole" and "Open/Close Bunghole" will now open and close the charging port door.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Ford just priced more than half their EV trucks beyond the price cap for the $7500 tax credit.

Ouch, I wonder how much they thought about that cut off and reduced sales.

It’s definitely a consideration for me in general. We’re looking to replace our 4Runner in a couple years and plan on going EV.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ouch, I wonder how much they thought about that cut off and reduced sales.

It’s definitely a consideration for me in general. We’re looking to replace our 4Runner in a couple years and plan on going EV.
I need to see the fine print in the bill once the House passes it, but I am thinking I am selling my Tesla to my company so my company can take the 4k tax credit for used EVs.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Ford just priced more than half their EV trucks beyond the price cap for the $7500 tax credit.

Weren't they already sold out for two years? If there's that much demand you would be stupid not to raise the price.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Weren't they already sold out for two years? If there's that much demand you would be stupid not to raise the price.
Those are orders. Wait and see how many ch the recession drives cancellations. When the IRS cap is 80 and you price at 81.5 you are just plain stupid. Its 7500 bucks in credit back being lost.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
saw a lucid up in tahoe area last weekend, thought it was some old weird looking buick sedan until I realized it was plugged in

• 1Like

Sludig

Those are orders. Wait and see how many ch the recession drives cancellations. When the IRS cap is 80 and you price at 81.5 you are just plain stupid. Its 7500 bucks in credit back being lost.
Other vehicles getting jacked. Mavericks also going up. Many like me ordered more than 6 months ago, been told we have to reorder with some price increase, and losing the original hyper low financing. And even then easily could be another year wait to receive....

Fuck the car market so god damn much. Same story with anything remotely desirable.

Nissan Z, gr corolla, gr 86, c8 corvette, raptor/trx, cts V, etc without even touching on German stuff, and quite a few of the suvs are the same though im not as familiar, but tellurides going for 10k plus over msrp as well.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Other vehicles getting jacked. Mavericks also going up. Many like me ordered more than 6 months ago, been told we have to reorder with some price increase, and losing the original hyper low financing. And even then easily could be another year wait to receive....

Fuck the car market so god damn much. Same story with anything remotely desirable.

Nissan Z, gr corolla, gr 86, c8 corvette, raptor/trx, cts V, etc without even touching on German stuff, and quite a few of the suvs are the same though im not as familiar, but tellurides going for 10k plus over msrp as well.
Car dealers/manufacturers are absolute scum. I say this as an owner of a boutique OEM. Its just how shit is. Always has been. Always will be.

• 1Like

Sludig

Car dealers/manufacturers are absolute scum. I say this as an owner of a boutique OEM. Its just how shit is. Always has been. Always will be.
Sure, but when i was buying cars in the last decade never felt like the last 2 years outside some instant collector cars like the focus rs brief life before cancelation, or older desirable euro cars.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sure, but when i was buying cars in the last decade never felt like the last 2 years outside some instant collector cars like the focus rs brief life before cancelation, or older desirable euro cars.
true. The last two years have been the dealers/OEMs in absolute control of the market and they are making the most of the ass fucking.