Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
P0420 code
Getting High GIF by Paramount+

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
So my 03 Tundra is now throwing a P0420 code for the cat. Do any of those pour in catalytic cleaners actually work or are they snake oil?

edit: I'm at roughly 172k miles on the things if that makes a difference. Been using a can of seamfoam about twice a year for the past 5 years.

Some types of lacquer thinner can work. If whatever you do doesn't work, you can try to get the cat off and soak it in laundry detergent (no joke) before buying an expensive new one.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
almost due for spark plug change on impreza, not fun cuz its a subie, on the lasst plug removal, oil... now i gotta buy new gaskets and do it all over again. (i've never changed the valve gasket on the subie, but i have on the civic, i just know it's more involved and i have to jack up the car to reach a few bolts.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I have a hypothetical question.

Do you guys think that prices for new vehicles might start to drop by 1st quarter next year, due to the gradual increase of interest rates, which might then lead to a slow down on sales?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I have a hypothetical question.

Do you guys think that prices for new vehicles might start to drop by 1st quarter next year, due to the gradual increase of interest rates, which might then lead to a slow down on sales?

It's already been happening the past few months. Demand is decreasing as people's spending power drops (inflation) and supply is slowly increasing. "Should" continue to get better as we get into next year. If you don't need to have a new or new-used car now, you're better off waiting.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think used will be the ones diving faster than new car prices though. New cars were almost the reasonable choice over what used was doing. And it will be interesting watching the market as many people find themselves way upside down or start realizing they should abandon loans on overblown cars and trying to rebuy much cheaper with whatever credit they may have left.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Car value has started to drop about 10% from the insurance side of things. Seeing total loss valuations coming back a lot lower. I originally bought a 2017 Q7 Prestige for around 36k for 35k miles at the end of 2019. I saw a valuation back in April for the same year/mileage and it was coming in at 61k. I told my wife we should sell it and downgrade for a year or so until prices tank again. I saw a new valuation and it was at 49k now.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I was tempted to try to pull of something like that too. I bought my pickup in 2018 for $20k 4 years and 40k miles later I think I could have sold it for $25k. Not enough money to be worth the hassle but it is pretty crazy to think that your car has gone up in value. Doesn't usually happen.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Will be interesting to see what Tesla semi gets in RL routes/loads. Apparently, they’re starting to be delivered to Pepsi in December.
My MX can tow 5,000. Im tempted to throw on the ball hitch and see what it does when I tow something.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it was pretty clear from the beginning that towing is a non-starter with the lighting, at least if you want to go more than 50 miles. I would say that most people who are going to be pulling a trailer regularly probably aren't buying a half ton pickup anyway but it's a pretty significant downside.

My MX can tow 5,000. Im tempted to throw on the ball hitch and see what it does when I tow something.
Someone told my sister in law that her Rav 4 can tow 5000 lbs and she's been looking for a pop up camper that weighs less than that ever since. I have pointed out that she has access to several full sized ranch pickups that could pull any camp trailer but she just says "But the gas mileage is so much better!"

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it was pretty clear from the beginning that towing is a non-starter with the lighting, at least if you want to go more than 50 miles. I would say that most people who are going to be pulling a trailer regularly probably aren't buying a half ton pickup anyway but it's a pretty significant downside.

Someone told my sister in law that her Rav 4 can tow 5000 lbs and she's been looking for a pop up camper that weighs less than that ever since. I have pointed out that she has access to several full sized ranch pickups that could pull any camp trailer but she just says "But the gas mileage is so much better!"
I had a 2010 RAV4 that served me well. Never did any towing with it though.

Predictable range issues aside, I’ve seen a number of videos on how well the Rivian handles the load. Vehicle weight + HP/torque + fancy electronics I guess.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great, so you can tow with an EV (barely 50-100 miles) which allows what kind of adventures? You damn well better live within an hour or two of any camping/fishing/track, etc. How about when you need to get back, but you're miles from nowhere in the wilderness with no charging stations? Sorry, EV towing is just a "me too" box to tick on the marketing.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Great, so you can tow with an EV (barely 50-100 miles) which allows what kind of adventures? You damn well better live within an hour or two of any camping/fishing/track, etc. How about when you need to get back, but you're miles from nowhere in the wilderness with no charging stations? Sorry, EV towing is just a "me too" box to tick on the marketing.
It's not useful for pulling a trailer for camping unless you can charge very close to your destination. On the other hand, I bet if you asked F-150 owners how many times a year they pull a trailer more than 50 miles the most popular answer would be zero.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not useful for pulling a trailer for camping unless you can charge very close to your destination. On the other hand, I bet if you asked F-150 owners how many times a year they pull a trailer more than 50 miles the most popular answer would be zero.

You're probably right. But, ask F250 (or Chevy 2500 or Ram 2500) owners the same questions and its probably bi-weekly or more. There's a reason the larger trucks with massive capacities are made. Smart people buy the right tool for the job.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You're probably right. But, ask F250 (or Chevy 2500 or Ram 2500) owners the same questions and its probably bi-weekly or more. There's a reason the larger trucks with massive capacities are made. Smart people buy the right tool for the job.
But the point is, so far there's no electric option on ¾ or 1 ton pickups and I'm guessing there won't be until the towing issue is resolved. The Cybertruck has been hyped as a "real" truck so it will be interesting to see how it does towing.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But the point is, so far there's no electric option on ¾ or 1 ton pickups and I'm guessing there won't be until the towing issue is resolved. The Cybertruck has been hyped as a "real" truck so it will be interesting to see how it does towing.

Correct, so the idea that anyone would tow with a 1/2 ton EV truck is ridiculous. Spend less to get a proper towing vehicle.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I don’t think anyone is saying different. I wonder what the range reduction is on a similarly equipped ICE truck. I assume someone has done an F150 comparison, will try to find one.

It would be interesting to see tests at 25% and 50% capacity, makes that results would scale linearly. Though, there should be some consideration for aero profile too.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don’t think anyone is saying different. I wonder what the range reduction is on a similarly equipped ICE truck. I assume someone has done an F150 comparison, will try to find one.

It would be interesting to see tests at 25% and 50% capacity, makes that results would scale linearly. Though, there should be some consideration for aero profile too.
It begins with the limited battery range of the lightning. Low-mid 250 mile range is Tesla circa 2016. If the Lightning had a 400 mile range you would be towing 150 miles or so. I got 315 on my MX. Im pretty confident i could get 100 miles or more. "Rumor" is Musk is saying Cyber truck will be between 400 and 500 mile range.