Car ?'s

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don’t think anyone is saying different. I wonder what the range reduction is on a similarly equipped ICE truck. I assume someone has done an F150 comparison, will try to find one.

It would be interesting to see tests at 25% and 50% capacity, makes that results would scale linearly. Though, there should be some consideration for aero profile too.
I don't know but I can tell you that my F-350 with a heavy trailer on doesn't go that much more than 100 miles between fill ups. You can probably get 200 miles if you don't mind coming in on fumes.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It begins with the limited battery range of the lightning. Low-mid 250 mile range is Tesla circa 2016. If the Lightning had a 400 mile range you would be towing 150 miles or so. I got 315 on my MX. Im pretty confident i could get 100 miles or more. "Rumor" is Musk is saying Cyber truck will be between 400 and 500 mile range.
Hmm, thought they were already offering a pack that was ~300 and recall from the vids/articles that range ended up being about 1/3 of normal when pulling a full load. Which is similar to what Brutal is saying.

All we have to do is 10x solar efficiency per sqft and we’re good to go 😆

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Everywhere I've ever lived 1/2 ton trucks tow a lot. Boats for the most part. From 30 minutes to 2 hours fishing in small boats to offshore center consoles. I lived 15 minutes from the lake and had a bass boat. No way I would use a EV to launch it. Not to mention the big tournament weekend that had 1,500 boats entered nobody lived "close by" but came from all over the state. I lived in about a 2 hour radius of 25+ lakes and all the bass boats you see at the lake very few were someone that lived close by. Short pieces of shit to full on tournament bass boats that are $70k+

21' bass boat loaded down and gassed up for a tournament with a 250-300hp motor aren't light. See them by the hundreds even when gas is $5.00 gallon. I guess you would save gas idling in your EV waiting 2+ hours to launch on a big tournament weeknd. Other than that I don't see it.

Lot of people own a boat you don't see that often cause it's own the road when you are asleep and not visible stored.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you truck ppl that have towed b4 and now want to tow w/ an ev, have you ever thought, man it's cold outside, guess i'mma have to provision for half my range b4 the trailer is even strapped on.

speaking of the trailer, if you have to goto a charging station, this is my "main" station in my area, behind a walmart
41c895952eb38ab3b662eecc0fb41346.jpg

you basic electrify america, i'm sure youall know what it is, so now you have park your trailer, unhook it, and probably sneak your truck into the handicapped station, cuz the other 3 are probably being used, and then spend 1hr at walmart, oh what joy

• 1Genius!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
you truck ppl that have towed b4 and now want to tow w/ an ev, have you ever thought, man it's cold outside, guess i'mma have to provision for half my range b4 the trailer is even strapped on.

speaking of the trailer, if you have to goto a charging station, this is my "main" station in my area, behind a walmart
41c895952eb38ab3b662eecc0fb41346.jpg

you basic electrify america, i'm sure youall know what it is, so now you have park your trailer, unhook it, and probably sneak your truck into the handicapped station, cuz the other 3 are probably being used, and then spend 1hr at walmart, oh what joy
Good point. I hadnt considered that. Nor has anyone at a car company either I imagine.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Everywhere I've ever lived 1/2 ton trucks tow a lot. Boats for the most part. From 30 minutes to 2 hours fishing in small boats to offshore center consoles. I lived 15 minutes from the lake and had a bass boat. No way I would use a EV to launch it. Not to mention the big tournament weekend that had 1,500 boats entered nobody lived "close by" but came from all over the state. I lived in about a 2 hour radius of 25+ lakes and all the bass boats you see at the lake very few were someone that lived close by. Short pieces of shit to full on tournament bass boats that are $70k+

21' bass boat loaded down and gassed up for a tournament with a 250-300hp motor aren't light. See them by the hundreds even when gas is $5.00 gallon. I guess you would save gas idling in your EV waiting 2+ hours to launch on a big tournament weeknd. Other than that I don't see it.

Lot of people own a boat you don't see that often cause it's own the road when you are asleep and not visible stored.
A boat is one thing you can pull with a smaller truck because they don't weigh anything. A 16 foot bass boat on a trailer is probably under 3000 lbs. When I say a heavy trailer I'm talking about 10-15000 lb load on a trailer that weighs 5-6000 lbs itself.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A boat is one thing you can pull with a smaller truck because they don't weigh anything. A 16 foot bass boat on a trailer is probably under 3000 lbs. When I say a heavy trailer I'm talking about 10-15000 lb load on a trailer that weighs 5-6000 lbs itself.
One of those things I find very few people actually understand is GVWR, towing capacity and axle capacity. Like the guys pulling giganto RVs with their F-150s and the front axle barely touching the pavement.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
One of those things I find very few people actually understand is GVWR, towing capacity and axle capacity. Like the guys pulling giganto RVs with their F-150s and the front axle barely touching the pavement.
Hehe I sometimes tow a car hauler trailer with my F-150 and there's been times when I got a little too optimistic and cars were flashing their high beams at me all the way home because my low beams were higher than they are supposed to be.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Good point. I hadnt considered that. Nor has anyone at a car company either I imagine.
Rivian is actually creating drive through chargers so it isn’t a pain to charge with a trailer. Obviously very few out there at this point, but someone is doing it at least.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Eventually they will have more dedicated truck charging stations too. But you guys have to imagine that this is still in its infancy. Here in the states they have not even decided on a "standard" charger either. So its gonna be a big fucking mess until all this shit gets resolved and more and more people are actually driving EV and the demand is there.

Our company (interiors) just got awarded the next Rivian interior last week. And they are projecting sales ($35-$40K car/suv?) upwards of 250K per year 2025+ for this specific vehicle.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Eventually they will have more dedicated truck charging stations too. But you guys have to imagine that this is still in its infancy. Here in the states they have not even decided on a "standard" charger either. So its gonna be a big fucking mess until all this shit gets resolved and more and more people are actually driving EV and the demand is there.

Our company (interiors) just got awarded the next Rivian interior last week. And they are projecting sales ($35-$40K car/suv?) upwards of 250K per year 2025+ for this specific vehicle.
EVs are the new "3-D" TVs fad of the late 00s-early 10s. Once people realize what a scam they are and as our electric grid gets fuckier and fuckier in the US, people are going to nope the fuck out. Sure, you'll still have your "luxury" versions where people do it for status ala Tesla, Mercedes, etc. But for the average consumer? Pffffft.

The only thing that will possibly change that is a massive breakthrough in battery tech.

• 1Pants on Fire!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well you might be right about the effects EVs will have on grid, etc... But dont kid yourself bro, EVs are the future and the big sign is all these car companies going full steam ahead on EV, including the big 3. And most people do not even come close to using the 300-400 miles per day driving let alone per week. The average per US census in 2020, was 35 miles per day average. So one cold literally drive on one charge all fucking week and 1/2 the next one one charge at the current range values.

I think toyota already has some solid state bateries in the field testing, and supposedly these things double the range if not triple it, smaller in size, weigh significantly less (which is a HUGE fucking issue in EV) and come with none of the risks the li-ion batteries have, like spontaneously combusting because of a short.

So they are working on this shit, and Toyota is not the only one. Its jsut a matter of time they perfect some solid state battery tech and keep improving it.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well you might be right about the effects EVs will have on grid, etc... But dont kid yourself bro, EVs are the future and the big sign is all these car companies going full steam ahead on EV, including the big 3. And most people do not even come close to using the 300-400 miles per day driving let alone per week. The average per US census in 2020, was 35 miles per day average. So one cold literally drive on one charge all fucking week and 1/2 the next one one charge at the current range values.

I think toyota already has some solid state bateries in the field testing, and supposedly these things double the range if not triple it, smaller in size, weigh significantly less (which is a HUGE fucking issue in EV) and come with none of the risks the li-ion batteries have, like spontaneously combusting because of a short.

So they are working on this shit, and Toyota is not the only one. Its jsut a matter of time they perfect some solid state battery tech and keep improving it.
the prius awd uses nmh for cold weather cuz if you were gonna get a awd prius itd be for snowy states

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>

Supposed to the the first vehicle on their R2 platform in that timeframe.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
EVs are the new "3-D" TVs fad of the late 00s-early 10s. Once people realize what a scam they are and as our electric grid gets fuckier and fuckier in the US, people are going to nope the fuck out. Sure, you'll still have your "luxury" versions where people do it for status ala Tesla, Mercedes, etc. But for the average consumer? Pffffft.

The only thing that will possibly change that is a massive breakthrough in battery tech.
1 million EVs on the road in 2016 globally. Over 20 million in 2022. I am not seeing at the 3-d movie fad. I have driven almost everything in my life. My current EV surpasses the BMW I traded in in terms of driving and quality of life in the car. I am not talking about a Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf (and Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais to follow). Those are the EVs that will drive adoption to the masses. EVs are a better vehicle to a comparable class of non-EV.

The pick-up truck segment has a major challenge in terms of using it as a work truck due to battery range right now. I am really curious to see how the Tesla Semi performs for Pepsi.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
1 million EVs on the road in 2016 globally. Over 20 million in 2022. I am not seeing at the 3-d movie fad. I have driven almost everything in my life. My current EV surpasses the BMW I traded in in terms of driving and quality of life in the car. I am not talking about a Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf (and Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais to follow). Those are the EVs that will drive adoption to the masses. EVs are a better vehicle to a comparable class of non-EV.

The pick-up truck segment has a major challenge in terms of using it as a work truck due to battery range right now. I am really curious to see how the Tesla Semi performs for Pepsi.
*At current electric grid prices and stability

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
All kinds of electrical grid upgrades are being built as we speak. For the vast majority of people who drive to commute an ev is already better than a gas car. It's more than enough range to get to work and back and it charges in the garage while you sleep so you leave with a full tank every morning without ever visiting a gas station or a charger. Total cost of ownership is already lower than a gas car even with a higher sticker price and reliability should be much better with far fewer moving parts.

Are there downsides in certain specific situations? Yes. Will some people have good reasons to stick with ICE cars and trucks for at least a few more years? Yes. Does that make it a fad? No.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
All kinds of electrical grid upgrades are being built as we speak. For the vast majority of people who drive to commute an ev is already better than a gas car. It's more than enough range to get to work and back and it charges in the garage while you sleep so you leave with a full tank every morning without ever visiting a gas station or a charger. Total cost of ownership is already lower than a gas car even with a higher sticker price and reliability should be much better with far fewer moving parts.

Are there downsides in certain specific situations? Yes. Will some people have good reasons to stick with ICE cars and trucks for at least a few more years? Yes. Does that make it a fad? No.
if more ppl drive their ev to work, i can see many company parking incidents where ppl fight for the 3 ev spots on the lot