Car ?'s

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Ram 1500’s are great full sized trucks while not costing an arm and a leg, I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 classic Warlock edition 5.7L V8 with 9k miles for 29k. It got 19 MPG before I put 4.5 inch lift bigger rims and tires which dropped the MPG to 15.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Here's my opinion on mid-size trucks:

Haven't driven the Ranger or Colorado enough to form an opinion.

Tacoma: If you're on the taller side, definitely test drive first. I hate the cabin area, my head was almost touching the headliner when I got the seats in a comfortable position. I hate driving this truck - bad sightlines, jerky engine/trans.

Frontier: The engine is kind of a pig, but I don't hate the transmission as much as most people. Turning radius kind of blows. Decent overall.

Ridgeline: My favorite in the segment that I've driven. Ride is a lot smoother and not as truck-like on account of the unibody. Infotainment system blows, driver assist features want to kill you - either turn off the lane keep assist or buy one without.

Gladiator: If buying new, this is one of the few vehicles that you can actually get a deal on. The first year or so, these were super hot, but demand has fallen off a cliff. Only worthwhile if you like the Jeep plusses (like being able to take off the doors or having a soft-top) and are willing to put up with the minuses (noise, ride, etc).

I personally really want a hybrid Maverick which is probably smaller than you're looking for. However, I'm going to wait until they've finally worked out all their bugs and have no interest in paying a premium over sticker, so, I'll probably waiting at least a few more years.
Ya, watching the FB groups on the mavericks for problems is not pretty. Like I believe a car made in NK might have less issues. Makes me less on the fence about flipping mine if it ever came in and still high $$$, to fund getting something better.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Ya, watching the FB groups on the mavericks for problems is not pretty. Like I believe a car made in NK might have less issues. Makes me less on the fence about flipping mine if it ever came in and still high $$$, to fund getting something better.
Maverick is trash? Ford has pretty big issues with product quality right now. I looked at their new Explorer and the exterior bits were misaligned as was the dash. The big Lincoln was similar but not as bad, but the driver door was wavy. Brand new. Youtube auto journalist was driving a new Explorer and the transmission deadlocked on the highway doing 65 MPH. All tires locked tight. New, too.

Neighbor has a new Bronco and it looks cheap.

Sludig

Maverick is trash? Ford has pretty big issues with product quality right now. I looked at their new Explorer and the exterior bits were misaligned as was the dash. The big Lincoln was similar but not as bad, but the driver door was wavy. Brand new. Youtube auto journalist was driving a new Explorer and the transmission deadlocked on the highway doing 65 MPH. All tires locked tight. New, too.

Neighbor has a new Bronco and it looks cheap.
Engine fires, randomly dying because the cable from the hybrid battery to the rest of the car gets loose, oddball electrical infotainment stuff, other catastrophic wierd failures. Dash getting sticky in the sun, outright assembled missing bits and pieces and not the to be installed later kinda thing. One overheating issue is being handled by removing some material and drilling holes in skid plate as the official ford fix. FX4 decals coming off in light car washes, bubbling paint, many complaining of rust within months. Etc etc.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I must say,

You are not making a strong case for Ford in its current iteration. I wonder if I should just skip them. It does seem like both quality and attitude has gone to shit recently with them.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I must say,

You are not making a strong case for Ford in its current iteration. I wonder if I should just skip them. It does seem like both quality and attitude has gone to shit recently with them.
Fuck Ford, ever price the Rangers? Plain Jane Ranger runs the same as Ram 1500 with plenty bells and whistles.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Engine fires, randomly dying because the cable from the hybrid battery to the rest of the car gets loose, oddball electrical infotainment stuff, other catastrophic wierd failures. Dash getting sticky in the sun, outright assembled missing bits and pieces and not the to be installed later kinda thing. One overheating issue is being handled by removing some material and drilling holes in skid plate as the official ford fix. FX4 decals coming off in light car washes, bubbling paint, many complaining of rust within months. Etc etc.
My personal favorite is the recall on vehicles with a spray-in bedliner because they were drilling through the gas tank. My opinion on Ford for a few years now is they are killing it from a conceptual design standpoint (Maverick, Hybrid/EV F150, Bronco), but have completely bungled the execution. I was planning to wait a model year for them to clean up their messes, but I'm kind of leaning towards waiting two years at this point.

• 1Like

Sludig

My personal favorite is the recall on vehicles with a spray-in bedliner because they were drilling through the gas tank. My opinion on Ford for a few years now is they are killing it from a conceptual design standpoint (Maverick, Hybrid/EV F150, Bronco), but have completely bungled the execution. I was planning to wait a model year for them to clean up their messes, but I'm kind of leaning towards waiting two years at this point.
I knew I was forgetting a few.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I ordered a wildlands bronco and when it was ready the fit of the body panels was completely fucked. The interior plastic as well was perhaps the lowest grade I’ve ever seen on a vehicle and the bronco I’d ordered was loaded. Really disappointing…

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I ordered a wildlands bronco and when it was ready the fit of the body panels was completely fucked. The interior plastic as well was perhaps the lowest grade I’ve ever seen on a vehicle and the bronco I’d ordered was loaded. Really disappointing…
Does your state have a lemon law or something like a 3 day refund requirement that such problems would be covered? Hopefully you didn't have to just eat that shit sandwich.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You don't have to accept delivery of a vehicle when it arrives at the dealer.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Does your state have a lemon law or something like a 3 day refund requirement that such problems would be covered? Hopefully you didn't have to just eat that shit sandwich.
I walked away - that lead to the decision to get another Defender instead (which has its own funky problems being a Rover). The Defender is so much better than the Bronco in build quality it's crazy. I should have bought the Bronco and drove it straight to Carmax in hindsight....

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm pretty sure they aren't doing QC on them at the factory. They are leaving that to the dealers, and dealers are saying fuck it, not my problem.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Obvious question being why would you need to drill holes for a spray in bedliner. Ford has top deck engineers.

Sludig

Drilling to add the bolts normally in the bed, I think that was it's own issue independant of the problem with the spray ins. My order pretty much to even be made I had to accept the drop in.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So my 03 Tundra is now throwing a P0420 code for the cat. Do any of those pour in catalytic cleaners actually work or are they snake oil?

edit: I'm at roughly 172k miles on the things if that makes a difference. Been using a can of seamfoam about twice a year for the past 5 years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my 03 Tundra is now throwing a P0420 code for the cat. Do any of those pour in catalytic cleaners actually work or are they snake oil?

edit: I'm at roughly 172k miles on the things if that makes a difference. Been using a can of seamfoam about twice a year for the past 5 years.
i'm sure they work but you gotta drive 150miles before you see a difference cuz youre dililuting it through your gas tank, you can take out your cat and soak it to clean, it there was a vid i saw a guy used something else w/o removing the cap

ok found it, it's this fuel injector cleaner
f673f8283292ec3b3d3da96c40c9a9dd.png

it basically atomizes the cleaning solution into your cat and you should see results right away

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Cats go bad over time. The material can wear out and lose its properties or they can get gunked up. I wouldn't believe anything that says it can clean a cat by going in to fuel, oil, or otherwise.