Car ?'s

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You guys have a few *cough* years on me, but I definitely remember those seatbelts. Also, we had a ford conversion van, so on family trips all the kids would sleep in the laid down back seats with blankets all over.
I would have been no older than 7 and siblings down to 3, though I’m pretty sure they were still in car seats.

now stats:

Please tell me that you're not comparing 1913 vehicle deaths to 2020 and concluding that cars were safer back then.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys have a few *cough* years on me, but I definitely remember those seatbelts. Also, we had a ford conversion van, so on family trips all the kids would sleep in the laid down back seats with blankets all over.
I would have been no older than 7 and siblings down to 3, though I’m pretty sure they were still in car seats.

now stats:
Interesting that cars haven't really gotten much safer (deaths per 100M miles) in the past 20ish years (1.58 in 1999 to 1.2 in 2019) and that safety has actually backslid a bit in the past 10. Also, the .26 jump from 2019 to 2020 (1.46) is pretty huge in context of the annual changes in the rest of the chart. Covid incidents while driving maybe? or lockdowns creating driving patterns that are more risky than normal? Maybe in-town trips were reduced more than higher-speed highway miles?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You can partially blame cafe standards in safety. When you try to eek out every ounce from the car to meet them, well, engineering can only go so far in safety and physics wins out in the end. Plus those stats are not just all about car safety but the drivers influence those stats too.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
"Safety equipment".

I remember riding in cars that didn't come out of the factory with seat belts.
I’m going to get mad insults for this but fuck it, it’s entirely true. Father had a Ford Thunderbird, I was 5, front seat no seat belt and the passenger door had a propensity to fly open. He took a turn at a light and I went flying out, confused as fuck laying in the middle of the road this man comes up to me and says “you just going to lay there all fucking day or get back in the car?” The same fucking man who thinks my 4 year old daughter needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap because she’s clumsy as all 4 year olds are. SMFH.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
good point, most of those 2010+ increases are probably due to texting
Makes sense. 1.58 to 1.2 is a 25% decrease which seems pretty big to me. Of course you're asymptotically approaching zero here so you don't really expect to see giant changes after a certain point. I have seen Elon Musk say that air bags have come far enough that he thinks he can build a virtually death proof car.

Probably been posted before but this video was an eye opener for me...

• 3Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I drove a truck in high school and kept it for a long time that didn't have belts. Just was meaning it they came with airbags. Did not have but can remember the abortion of cars in the 80s the auto buckled your selt belt when you got in, that and were limited to the fed speed limit of 55.

People nowdays would have a cow, ridig in a vehicle with the gas tank inside the cab immediately behind the seat. While smoking.
Which cars were actually speed limited to 55? I've never heard of that.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Depending on the vehicle, windows can have a control command that needs reset. For example, in my car the window programming can get hosed up by a random combo of button presses and the windows wont follow the buttons correctly. Your hold down for 5 seconds and then up for 5 seconds and it reprograms the window button control back to default settings. I have no idea if your vehicle has this, but it can't hurt to look it up.

Got the diagnostic tool, ran it to pull the codes. 0 codes came up for anything.

Going to try this window programming reset fix but have low expectations.

I also rechecked all fuses, none of them look damaged, broken or burned

Fucker

Log Wizard
Interesting that cars haven't really gotten much safer (deaths per 100M miles) in the past 20ish years (1.58 in 1999 to 1.2 in 2019) and that safety has actually backslid a bit in the past 10. Also, the .26 jump from 2019 to 2020 (1.46) is pretty huge in context of the annual changes in the rest of the chart. Covid incidents while driving maybe? or lockdowns creating driving patterns that are more risky than normal? Maybe in-town trips were reduced more than higher-speed highway miles?
Cars are much safer than even 10 years ago. Drivers have gotten much worse. Places like Omaha where the police don't have time to do traffic enforcement has lots of wrecks and a lot of fatalities. The intersection down the street from where I lived had 4 fatal accidents in nearly as many days. Interstates near there were complete mayhem. I was behind a huge train of vehicles and all of them blew a red light without slowing down. I imagine this is the same everywhere enforcement is lacking.

• 3Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
People nowdays would have a cow, ridig in a vehicle with the gas tank inside the cab immediately behind the seat. While smoking.

While it's technically not in the cabin, the driver of a Honda Fit sits on the gas tank. You go through the center console to replace the fuel pump.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Got the diagnostic tool, ran it to pull the codes. 0 codes came up for anything.

This is the Tesla version. It is not uncommon with doors that do not have a full window frame (thus the windows move an inch up and down when opening and closing to fit properly) to have issues and need recalibrated.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Which cars were actually speed limited to 55? I've never heard of that.

Dodge had a few for a short time. The same ones that automattically buckled the belt when you entered. You could get over 55 for a limited amount of time to pass. It didn't last long. Still remember the commericals and how "safe" they were. Friend of the family had one and everyone talked shit to him. I imagine it was not very popular to say the least. Then short time afterword the speed limit was raised.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dodge had a few for a short time. The same ones that automattically buckled the belt when you entered. You could get over 55 for a limited amount of time to pass. It didn't last long. Still remember the commericals and how "safe" they were. Friend of the family had one and everyone talked shit to him. I imagine it was not very popular to say the least. Then short time afterword the speed limit was raised.
There are also some antique vehicles that are "limited" to around 55 mph due to gearing. Especially some pickup trucks from the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

You said 80s though, so those don't count.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Dodge had a few for a short time. The same ones that automattically buckled the belt when you entered. You could get over 55 for a limited amount of time to pass. It didn't last long.
You got any specifics? I was alive during the 80's and drove many 80's vehicles, and have never seen one speed limited to 55, nor ever heard of that. I've seen some limited to 115, 135, or 155 based on tire ratings.

Fucker

Log Wizard
You got any specifics? I was alive during the 80's and drove many 80's vehicles, and have never seen one speed limited to 55, nor ever heard of that. I've seen some limited to 115, 135, or 155 based on tire ratings.
He's confusing lack of power with being speed limited. :D

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
How about in the 80s where they put out that law where speedometers stopped at 85. When I would get my first car, 85' El Dorado, up to 85 and over, it just started flashing. Not sure it had a positive effect on speeding though. I always thought if I could get it blinking fast enough I would jump to warp speed haha.

Stock Grand National speedo haha:

1672777106175.png

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How about in the 80s where they put out that law where speedometers stopped at 85. When I would get my first car, 85' El Dorado, up to 85 and over, it just started flashing. Not sure it had a positive effect on speeding though. I always thought if I could get it blinking fast enough I would jump to warp speed haha.

Stock Grand National speedo haha:

View attachment 451239
I drove an 85 Chevy Celebrity that was like that. Got it up to 103 :D

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
They weren't governed at 55, it's just that in the highest gear with the pedal to the metal that's how fast you are going. We had a fire truck built on an old army jeep when I was a kid that topped out about 45 unless you were going down a big hill.