Car ?'s

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not a scientist. Just quoting dozens and dozens who are.

Well rub those two fucking brain cells together and think about how cheap electricity is and how little of it my car uses to go a mile and then ask yourself whether electric motors are more efficient.

This does not require a phd to figure out. You can manage it, I promise.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The condescension is admirable, but ultimately a fail.

The overall cost - and environmental impact - of creating an electric car FAR surpasses any petrol powered vehicle.

If you like it, that's fine. Everyone likes what they like. Don't have to be an asshole. You asked why things aren't a certain way and several people answered.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Wrong, actually. Petrol is much more efficient at cruise that electric. Electric is superiour in stop-and-go.

The overall cost - and environmental impact - of creating an electric car FAR surpasses any petrol powered vehicle.

tenor (3).gif

Also not true, but you're moving the goalposts as well. Faggotry.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
weekend warrior car stuff invovled a car wash speaker install on side door, not difficult, just unhook the door and turn it 90degrees (with wires attached) and rest it on something and i have full access to the speakers. stock speakers look like a toy, new speakers were annoying b/c the magnet was so huge it kept on getting stuck to the door. I couldn't find my crimer (reorganing the garage) so i just soldered the wires to the new speakers instead. got the echo auto working on it and sounds great so i don't think i need a new headunit, i'll see what a subwoofer will do. There are apparently really good understeat all in one subs, (that you can also hide in the wheel well) and i'd like this option more than getting a sub that will take up trunk space.

i decided to do a spark plug change on the impreza since it hit 91k and i never did one and "supposedly" they did one at 60k. First off when i took em out, they were super corroded on the tips and the gaps were wider than my replacements. They were NGK iridiums so i don't know if my engine is dirty or they really didn't change em at 60k, cuz 30k shouldn't be this bad?

also fuck subaru and their boxer engine had to use two double arms to get at the rear socket, jesus christ. i know i haven't changed the spark plugs on my civic, but i'm gonna do it now just to get mad at how much easier it'll seemingly be.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I have, as stated before - a 1st gen 2012 leaf, the peasants car to Cad Cad 's rich person Tesla.

Just going by very basic electric bill kwh prices and the Leaf's max capacity and its range per charge - the equivalent "per gallon cost" is like 1.25$

The Tesla, when your not just ZOOM ZOOMING around - have almost double the efficiency - the leaf is like 50-ish MPe? - so a Tesla is going around at about .50$ per gallon equivalent if that.

But, as your goal post movement says - in a standard "10 year lifespan" - yes electric cars are "only" about 10-15% "less" or "more green" in carbon footprint - in MY case, I am negative 100% footprint because my 2012 had its battery replaced in 2015 - so goodbye any since of "greenness" - but what it is, is CHEAP to operate.

The electrical components in a EV work far better than a gas car- there is no alternator, no alternator that is powered by a serpentine belt that in turn has variables in output. What adds a lot of stress and wear to electrical components, such as your AC compressor? pumps etc? yeah the fluctuation during load up +/- electricity. With an EV you do not have this - as the electrical supply is from the battery and consistent - all components have less wear.

As far as EV life - again, "you get what you pay for"

Look at Bolt and Leaf battery life charts compared to Tesla... we will see how the new KIA/Kyundai EVs pan out.

Teslas have high resale, because they are en vouge and because their batteries seemingly last forever - something no other EV can claim.

My replacement battery on the leaf is actually doing way beyond spec, and I hope it keeps up. It was replaced in 2015 and has 1/12 capacity bar go in November of 2018.

That all said... with 3rd baby inc the wife is pushing me to sell the leaf and get something "bigger, safer" and I have no $$ for a Tesla X unless Cad wants to sponsor me and I put his law firm sticker on the window.

So now I am on the hunt for a 2016+ Volvo XC90.. I think I have one that I will try to get this weekend (last weekend of the month) and if they can get to my price... I am seeking about 2-3k below their advertised price and OTD, so that's about 2.5-4k off total.. I think they can do it... its at a BMW and Porsche dealer, they don't want no random Volvo sitting there for 2+ monrhts (its been there a month and a half already)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Turn on the AC on the civic and i hear the weird screeching wailing sound, youtube says timing belt or tensioner is loose.

it put my vin into one of those car apps for maintenance (i think myfax or something), and it also shows history, doesn't seem like anyone has changed the timing belt.

well this should be fun.

it's highly recommend that i change the water pump at the same time since i'm there.

whelp guess i get to change the coolant too now

oh i gotta open up the valves to change the belt, i might as well change the gaskets too while i'm at it.

oh, my spark plugs are coming in at the same time too, jesus, this is gonna be a busy weekend.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think you mean the serpentine belt, not the timing belt. The timing belt has nothing to do with the air conditioner.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well if i'm opening the valve cover, i might as well readjust the valve space, time for a feeler gauge!

jesus christ

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I doubt you will hear your timing belt squeek... and yeah its serpentine belt that powers your components, such as alternator and A/C compressor..more depending on the car... far, pumps etc...

SO speaking of serpentine belts... did I already rant about this?

Apparently new belts have solved the cracking, squeaking and breaking problem!

Now they just stretch out beyond the tolerance of the tensioner and fall off and flop around with no warning other than "time"

At least that is the explanation I got when the shop wanted to replace my wife's QX60's belt @ 35k miles

I would rather be able to see cracks and hear squeeks to let me know it needs to be replaced rather than...well...no warning.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20190926_163207.jpg

So i figure ill work my way down to up. I gotta bleed the rad, so ill change the belt and pump. Then flush (while im at it) fill and bleed.

Once i know it runs, ill do the valve gaps.

Then ill change the gasket and put in the new plugs.

Haha i think i just bought half the value in parts. My carfax app says st value is 600bucks.

Not like it matters, im using it as a nice fun exercise and i at least get to know stuff.

Yea, the timing belt drives thst serpentibe beltb snd forums are saying timing belt and or tensioner is shot. Seeing that not one timing belt change was done as a service, i cant argue.

It still runs fine, just wails like a banhee with a/c

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
What would you rather? A 2018 Porche Boxster S, or the brand new Chevy Corvette C8?

The Porsche, but it’s really a matter of personal preference. Corvette will be faster and more bling, but I’m inclined to the the overall quality of the Porsche will be far better.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
literally me
med_gallery_62975_22532_279388.jpg

brb gotta buy more sockets and extensions after they fucking sheered off

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
What would you rather? A 2018 Porche Boxster S, or the brand new Chevy Corvette C8?
The 2020 'Vette, for sure. There's just something sexy as fuck about a mid-engine Corvette. Plus, sub 3.0 0-60 times are impressive in a car that you can get for <60k.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna buy a socket made just rip off this crankcase bolt, amazon tomorrow, jesus christ, i'm laying on top of the breaker bar like a seasaw, ryobi impact couldn't do it, one last trick i'll try is to push "up" on it with the jack.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
edit, no clearance for the jack, however, i decided one last time to try again with heat - torch (i have been putting on various pb blaster/liquid wrench/atf fuild and heat), and added my wife to the end of the breaker bar.

success! two asians defeats all.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I look forward to hearing about your engine eating itself. Provide pictures once it does please.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Good luck. Nothing makes a person want to kill themselves like trying to find an electrical problem in a car.
Ya if you're a fucking pleeb who doesn't know shit about electronics. I do all the electrical work on my truck and cars. Then again I have a degree in EE

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Here's a (probably dumb) question for any engineers out there:

Say you wanted to create a performance electric vehicle. Instead of using batteries couldn't you have a gasoline engine be the generator for the electric motor? Or would the gasoline engine + fuel end up weighing more than a battery negating any advantage? I suppose the question is how powerful of a gasoline engine would you need?

Again, this would be a performance oriented automobile and not something trying to be fuel efficient.
A shit ton of high cap capacitors dawg.