Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Been there, done that. Used to drive for work. That truck has 212k miles on it.

But, when you live in a frozen shithole, a manual makes it SO much easier to deal with less than ideal driving surfaces. Start to fishtail? Clutch to the floor and it straightens out. I dunno how I can go back to automatic after 20+ years of driving sticks.
I don't get how clutching is any different than releasing the gas in an automatic, the automatic will freewheel when you let off the gas meaning no engine braking.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't get how clutching is any different than releasing the gas in an automatic, the automatic will freewheel when you let off the gas meaning no engine braking.

When in drive, w/o any action on the gas peddle, an automatic still has ~1000 to 1500 RPMs (depending on the vehicle) going to the wheels. This will cause an auto to always roll forward on a flat surface.

Whereas a manual will have no power going into the drivetrain when the cluch is fully depressed (neutral).

A manual or auto in neutral, in the snow, will self correct (gain traction or stop) faster than a driver of an automatic transmission only letting off the gas.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Yep, that's exactly it.

You letting off the gas does not bring an automatic to a stop.

It WILL bring a manual to a stop, and stops all power to the drivetrain, allowing the fishtail to end immediately.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
When in drive, w/o any action on the gas peddle, an automatic still has ~1000 to 1500 RPMs (depending on the vehicle) going to the wheels. This will cause an auto to always roll forward on a flat surface.

Whereas a manual will have no power going into the drivetrain when the cluch is fully depressed (neutral).

A manual or auto in neutral, in the snow, will self correct (gain traction or stop) faster than a driver of an automatic transmission only letting off the gas.
I find it hard to believe the auto creep is causing any control issues in any weather. I've driven in the snow/ice plenty in both types of transmissions and have driven plenty of race cars in the rain, I've never clutched in to get control. That seems insane. But ya'll do you I guess.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, that's exactly it.

You letting off the gas does not bring an automatic to a stop.

It WILL bring a manual to a stop, and stops all power to the drivetrain, allowing the fishtail to end immediately.
Only if that "fishtail" is caused by power application and not a slide due to steering input. And further, only if that "fishtail" is caused by the 3 horsepower being applied by the torque converter at idle.

But ok. Just giving my thoughts that that makes no sense.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Only if that "fishtail" is caused by power application and not a slide due to steering input. And further, only if that "fishtail" is caused by the 3 horsepower being applied by the torque converter at idle.

But ok. Just giving my thoughts that that makes no sense.

It's usually caused by RPM inequality....rear tires spinning faster than front tires. Which happens ALOT on snow/slippery surfaces.

How much time you spent driving on snow? Lived in Texas your whole life? Legit question, because I don't know. I understand it may not be intuitive for people who don't drive on it for half the year.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It's usually caused by RPM inequality....rear tires spinning faster than front tires. Which happens ALOT on snow/slippery surfaces.

How much time you spent driving on snow? Lived in Texas your whole life? Legit question, because I don't know. I understand it may not be intuitive for people who don't drive on it for half the year.
Learned to drive in upstate NY and I'm in Colorado/NM every winter.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Learned to drive in upstate NY and I'm in Colorado/NM every winter.

Just checking.

Most of the fishtail is due to RPM inequality...front wheels at a different speed than rear. When rear hit a slippery patch, they lose friction, spin faster, that causes the fishtail.

Clutch on the floor corrects this immediately and allows you to coast until you're off that spot and can re-engage drive wheels. Shifting an automatic to neutral does the same thing, but obviously takes much more effort. It's what we train CDL drivers to do in inclement weather to correct a skid.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Just checking.

Most of the fishtail is due to RPM inequality...front wheels at a different speed than rear. When rear hit a slippery patch, they lose friction, spin faster, that causes the fishtail.

Clutch on the floor corrects this immediately and allows you to coast until you're off that spot and can re-engage drive wheels. Shifting an automatic to neutral does the same thing, but obviously takes much more effort. It's what we train CDL drivers to do in inclement weather to correct a skid.
How fast are you going in this scenario?

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have driven a 5 speed golf since 2004. The Easter Bunny just dropped this off to me early last friday. Just in time for the first practice of bmx!

2019 Tacoma, 6 speed manual with 20k on it.
20210406_184354.jpg
20210406_184328.jpg
20210406_184312.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In 24 years of driving I've been without a manual for less than 12 months total and I hated it. We have automatics (wife's daily) but my cars are all 6 speed. Anyone who complains about using a clutch in traffic has the legs of a stork or something. It's almost zero effort. If it weren't for humans being so lazy there would be many more options on the market.

But, this discussion is like trying to make someone change religions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In 24 years of driving I've been without a manual for less than 12 months total and I hated it. We have automatics (wife's daily) but my cars are all 6 speed. Anyone who complains about using a clutch in traffic has the legs of a stork or something. It's almost zero effort. If it weren't for humans being so lazy there would be many more options on the market.

But, this discussion is like trying to make someone change religions.
A manual transmission is the greatest anti-theft device every created.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
We refer to it as a millenial anti theft device instead of manual transmission.
i never cared for it, cuz driving to me is just a to b, and i was talking to my wife about just learning for a weekend.

fwiw, the only rental place that will do manual is hertz, i checked it out b4.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In my late teens/early 20's, one of the skills a girlfriend was rated on was her ability to shift from the passenger seat so the driver could steer and still hold his beer.

• 1Solidarity

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wanting to upgrade the factory head unit in my Honda Ridgeline. It's a 2019 sport that is their lowest trim and subsequently has no features in the head unit. Never used anything besides factory. I've done a small amount of research and it sounds like sometimes it's tricky to upgrade but keep the functionality of the steering wheel control and rear camera. If I get a kit on Crutchfield, find an installer to do it, should be ok right? Any sort of brands to go with or anything that are reliable and easy to install? Or all they pretty much the same at this point. Really just want something with Android Auto or whatever it's called.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wanting to upgrade the factory head unit in my Honda Ridgeline. It's a 2019 sport that is their lowest trim and subsequently has no features in the head unit. Never used anything besides factory. I've done a small amount of research and it sounds like sometimes it's tricky to upgrade but keep the functionality of the steering wheel control and rear camera. If I get a kit on Crutchfield, find an installer to do it, should be ok right? Any sort of brands to go with or anything that are reliable and easy to install? Or all they pretty much the same at this point. Really just want something with Android Auto or whatever it's called.

I've always disliked Crutchfield, they used to charge the same prices as local shops (or more) and only had a few top quality brands (things might have changed, I haven't looked at them in 8+ years). If you can't install it yourself, you have to go to a local shop to get it installed anyway, so why not give the local guy the money for the receiver too.

As for what works, it all depends on the manufacturer. Your best bet is to do research on a owners forum and see what people are using or recommend. If you live in a large metro, you can even find reviews of installer shops, usually.

Be aware, there can be added costs, and the owners forum should have info on that too. If it is an easy install, they may only need an extra $20 to $30 for an adapter (to get steering wheel controls and backup cam working), otherwise, if the car routes a bunch of computer/security shit through the receiver, you could be looking at an adapter kit of $150+.

Ridgeline Owners Club (Audio sub-forum):

• 1Like