Car ?'s

Fucker

Log Wizard
I have a car question. I want to get a Tesla Model 3, but I don't have a ton of money laying around anymore at this juncture after all of my other life expenses. I also don't particularly need this car, and it'll likely have to wait. Goal is to get this done by 2024 at the latest, and maybe as soon as next year if I can work something out.

What's the smartest way to go about achieving such a thing? Like, save up and make a big downpayment, then a monthly payment like any other car? I feel like the interest on a $40k car would kill me. I've had interest on $20k cars before and that already felt like $200 a month down the toilet.

What about getting a used one? Would that be a smart thing to do? I'd rather go new, unless the price difference is just that massive.

Right now I've got a 2018 Mazda 3 with very low mileage (50k or so). It's fantastic and in perfect condition. I'm thinking what I'll do is try to keep the Mazda 3's mileage on the low end and sell it whenever I'm ready to make the switch. It's going to take me a bit longer to pay it off, though, which is the main obstacle in this whole thing. I still owe about $10k there.

I'm sure I could get $10k for selling it easily, maybe a little more, especially if I sold it this year rather than say 2024. However that would merely pay it off and leave me with nothing and no car.

Instead I'll start a "car fund" and throw some USD in that whenever I've got some extra. Whenever crypto has a spike I can take some off the top from there and throw it into the car fund as well. Currently the majority of my extra money goes to crypto investments as it is, so I'll need to stop adding funds to those accounts for a while and put new deposits towards the car fund. I'll also keep making payments on the car and keep it in good condition.

Once the car fund has $10k in it and the car itself is mostly (or fully?) paid off, I can sell the car and then go drop a $20k down-payment on the Tesla, which would leave me owing around another $20k which I'll then go on a payment plan with and so on. If I slash the price in half right from the get-go I don't think interest will be that much of an issue.

TL;DR: I'll probably be spending like $800 a month on car stuff for the foreseeable future to both pay off my existing car and beef up my new car fund enough for a downpayment.

I'll take any advice on making this crazy plan work
Never overextend yourself financially to buy a car. Also, look at total cost of ownership, NOT monthly payment.

In terms of used..Tesla 3's used bring a premium price...best to buy new. Also, you DO NOT WANT to be holding a Tesla out of warranty. Repair prices are huge and wait times for parts can be lengthy. Warranty on a Tesla 3 is 4 years/50k.

I did the math on a Corolla L (base model) vs Model 3 (base model). I assumed excellent credit, 15k miles a year driven...and the Tesla 3's total cost of ownership after 48 months was $4.5k LESS than a Corolla. This assumes the resale value of a Tesla 3 holds to current values 4 years from now...there's no way to accurately project that. I also added the cost of a Tesla home charger into the mix. This also assumes people even buy used Tesla 3's at all. I know exactly nothing about the used Tesla market other than the fact the prices are high.

Your car is worth $14k now. It is a good time to sell, because you will have $4k in your pocket vs nothing later on.

On paper, ASSUMING resale value is the same 4 years from now, a Tesla 3 isn't a bad buy at all. Of course, if the used prices on them shit the bed, you are fucked.

I don't speculate on crypto at all, but if I had..say...$16k tied up in it, I'd cash it out now and sign up for a Tesla 3. With crypto, you could fuck yourself selling it, or you could fuck yourself keeping it.

You'd need wheels in the interim. The local Craigslist here is full of usable cars from $1-2k. Lead times on Tesla 3 is long. Buy a clunker, drive it until your 3 comes in, then sell it for what you paid for it.

Depending on how much you drive and your proximity to a Supercharger, you can save a decent chunk of cash every month with a Tesla vs gas.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Check w/ your insurance company on what the premium will be on the Tesla. It's typically quite a bit more than non-EV's.
This is false. Why do y'all say this shit? My Teslas are less expensive to insure than the porsches and lexuses I had prior, and in general the Tesla cost more.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is false. Why do y'all say this shit? My Teslas are less expensive to insure than the porsches and lexuses I had prior, and in general the Tesla cost more.
Our model 3 is more than the 4runner. Ymmv, it’s easy enough to call so you know.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
It's pretty messed-up how they're charging more for EVs. Not sure how they cost the insurance company more than gas-powered. You'd think these fuckers would keep the prices low and do their part for the environment
Not sure re: the US, but here it's about 2x the price to insure a Tesla 3 vs my ID.3.
My ID.3 in turn is roughly 50% of the insurance we paid for a stinky 10 year old cheapo Mazda 2, right in line with our Octavia.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
4 wheel drive, diesel, carburetor, manual trans, able to fit 5+-...

Any ideas?

Thinking mid 90s trucks?

And wing vents.

Lolol

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Old Dodge truck with the diesel inline 6/manual. 3 in the cab and probably 8 in the bed? Sounds perfect.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Lol, maybe

I think procrastinating about the excursion ended up being a good thing, I really need a damn truck.

But want to go as far back as possible, less crap to break etc.

New diesels are hot garbage.

Might settle on the 7.3L diesels

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gonna be searching for a while if you want a diesel with a carburetor...

Not diesel but early/mid 90s GM trucks with the 350 or 454 came with TBI which isn't a carb but about as simple and reliable as it comes when it comes to injection systems, rest of the engine is old school SBC/BBC which is cheap and easy to maintain. The body, suspension and brakes is where the money is going to go on anything that old though.

I did the cheap old car thing for a long time but I'd never recommend it if you can't do your own wrenching. A second vehicle is a must since there's always going to be times that something breaks that takes the car out of comission for a few days while you wait for parts and have time to fix it.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've got an idea. Maybe I can do some sort of one-week test drive of a Tesla 3 to help me either make a decision on this or get over it. I bet after a week my car-wanderlust will be sated and I won't "need" that car anymore. Either way I can scratch the itch while making a better decision.

Now I just need to find out where I can do this one-week test drive
Wall of text that looks more like you trying to convince yourself. Don't do it but these types of questions online 95% of the time lead to the person not listening to the crowd saying contrary.

Last edited:
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anybody tried the new Ford 7.3L gas engine? I'm maybe buying a new pickup next year and I'm pretty intrigued by it. I would like to have a diesel but it just chaps my ass paying $10,000 more so I don't have to drop down to 45mph the 15 times a year I pull a heavy trailer up a big hill.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone own a recent-ish Mustang GT, the V8 not that faggy ecoboost model. If so, how is it?

I'm in the market for something nice-ish currently and my options for anything decently powered with a manual are not very large unfortunately, and the more I look the more the Mustang looks like a pretty attractive option. I'm not looking to spend quite M3 money, so in the like 35-45k range best I can come up with my options are:

Civic-R isn't really an option cause it looks so fucking retarded, but otherwise it's quite nice on paper
WRX, potentially STI. They both seem massively overpriced for the performance you get VS the Mustang, however AWD does sound nice.
Golf-R looks very attractive on paper? Unsure if VW repair costs are still an issue these days, hatch is also relatively attractive in terms of daily functionality.
Veloster-N lol? The specs look nice but it's a fuckin Hyundai and will probably explode in 5 years, but maybe that doesn't matter cause their warranty goes forever? Hatch again is quite nice
Toyota 86 I like the idea of this car, but size-wise it's less practical than a Mustang, and it seems ridiculously underpowered for what it is

All the above compared to a Mustang GT lack in raw power which isn't surprising cause they are all just turbo 4-cyl, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea of a Mustang being my daily car. RWD is probably pretty annoying come snow times, and the cargo/trunk area is uh, lacking, especially next to something like a Golf-R or Veloster with the hatch and folding seats.

Am I missing anything else in the like medium-tier of performance cars?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wall of text that looks more like you trying to d cocoons yourself. Don't do it but these types of questions online 95% of the time lead to the person not listening to the crowd saying contrary.

I'm pretty good about listening to the crowd. But yeah, most people who write a post like that then proceed to completely ignore the responses, I've noticed that too. If an opportunity comes up to test drive a Tesla 3 I'll give it a shot, otherwise I'm gonna leave it alone for a while and get the existing car paid off before it depreciates too much.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The current and prior generations of Mustang have BAD manuals in them. They are chinese made. The GT350 has a proper Tremec, but that's a much more expensive car. If you're not going to race the car or mod it for more power, you'd probably be OK.

Current generation Camaro is also a really good bang-for-the-buck option. Solid internals, a breeze to mod, performs really well. Looks are subjective.

Challenger can still be had in a manual (another beefy Tremec) but they are rare and the car is MUCH heavier than the Mustang or Camaro. Still a great cruiser though and if you get the 6.4 its got plenty of power (5.7 is a bit weak for the 4,400 pound weight and 6.2 Hellcat is $70K or more).

Next year the new Nissan Z will come out with 400hp and a manual as standard. Starting around $40k-$45k.
If you don't need brand new, you could go for a C6 or C7 Corvette Grand Sport.
I sold my 2017 M3 with 26,000 miles for $49,000. If you can find one, you might get in it for $45,000 (2015-2020 models).
Despite all of these, I'd probably pick a 2017-2020 M2 Competition with a manual.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Heh I looked at M2's briefly, but the used market is such a train wreck right now it's just not an option. Anything under ~35k miles used is north of 50k and they quickly go up from there for recent model years or sub ~10k miles. The used market in general is so bad I pretty quickly gave up any hope in that space, which is how I started looking at new Mustangs in the first place.

It's kind of a shame on the used front too, cause the Focus RS looks pretty sweet, but I'm not sure I'm capable of spending ~40k on 3-4 year old turbo hatch like that that some 20somethings moron beat the shit out of for a couple years before he fell behind on his payments.

• 1Like

Dunnhopen

Trakanon Raider
If looking at new, back to the tesla for performance. Even the Long Range model will beat the pants of a Mustang GT. Unless you like rowing the gears, but you really should give it a test drive. Only thing that sucks is road trips. Daily driving I will probably never go back to gas.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Wall of text that looks more like you trying to convince yourself. Don't do it but these types of questions online 95% of the time lead to the person not listening to the crowd saying contrary.
You are pretty much the last person to give buying advice. You bought a giant POS that you can't afford and will have to max out your credit cards to fix it when it does break...and believe me, it will break a lot. I mean dude...you bought a used car with a loan that you can't really afford. You did exactly what you shouldn't have done.

But go ahead and give people advice, LMAO.

• 1Supertaster

Sludig

You are pretty much the last person to give buying advice. You bought a giant POS that you can't afford and will have to max out your credit cards to fix it when it does break...and believe me, it will break a lot. I mean dude...you bought a used car with a loan that you can't really afford. You did exactly what you shouldn't have done.

But go ahead and give people advice, LMAO.
At which point is it that I can't afford it, not sure where you get any of that other than me being cheap inso far as I want bang for buck. Though I wanted the jag for looks more than anything. I could right now pay off more than half of the 50k I'm in for it if for some reason I felt like it. Carry zero debt outside of a mortgage and vehicles, but I'm a lot better off than he sounds like. Gonna blow your mind Im also floating 30k between 2 bikes and we are grabbing a GR86 if by some miracle they release at not an inflated mark up. So yeah I am in a different position than the guy fussing over a few grand one way or another on his econobox.

Pretty salty about someones purchase 6 months ago, but seems like every tesla fanboy is pretty rabid. Pay no mind its the same advice most in this thread were giving. My "pos" gets almost daily conversations from strangers and inspires impromptu play time on the highway with other fun cars, most recently a C8. No one looks at your T twice.

Or is this just carry over getting butt mad when you seemingly didn't even understand me in the gun forum and you go on a reaction spree like mudcrush unable to use your words.

• 1Moron

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heh I looked at M2's briefly, but the used market is such a train wreck right now it's just not an option. Anything under ~35k miles used is north of 50k and they quickly go up from there for recent model years or sub ~10k miles. The used market in general is so bad I pretty quickly gave up any hope in that space, which is how I started looking at new Mustangs in the first place.

It's kind of a shame on the used front too, cause the Focus RS looks pretty sweet, but I'm not sure I'm capable of spending ~40k on 3-4 year old turbo hatch like that that some 20somethings moron beat the shit out of for a couple years before he fell behind on his payments.

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand: the market for new and used is bad right now. If you can wait, I'd suggest doing so until quarter 2 of next year. Its the same for houses, watches, boats, etc. When things do settle, get what makes you smile and enjoy driving. However, I do second your comment about the Focus RS; its a car for teens even though its too expensive for teens.

Fucker

Log Wizard
At which point is it that I can't afford it, not sure where you get any of that other than me being cheap inso far as I want bang for buck. Though I wanted the jag for looks more than anything. I could right now pay off more than half of the 50k I'm in for it if for some reason I felt like it. Carry zero debt outside of a mortgage and vehicles, but I'm a lot better off than he sounds like. Gonna blow your mind Im also floating 30k between 2 bikes and we are grabbing a GR86 if by some miracle they release at not an inflated mark up. So yeah I am in a different position than the guy fussing over a few grand one way or another on his econobox.

Pretty salty about someones purchase 6 months ago, but seems like every tesla fanboy is pretty rabid. Pay no mind its the same advice most in this thread were giving. My "pos" gets almost daily conversations from strangers and inspires impromptu play time on the highway with other fun cars, most recently a C8. No one looks at your T twice.

Or is this just carry over getting butt mad when you seemingly didn't even understand me in the gun forum and you go on a reaction spree like mudcrush unable to use your words.
I'm not salty. Just laughing at your perpetual stupidity that expresses itself in all forms.

You should have used that car money on a nose job. :honkler:

• 1Salty

Sludig

I'm not salty. Just laughing at your perpetual stupidity that expresses itself in all forms.

You should have used that car money on a nose job. :honkler:
Hey Random person on the internet, get a nose job..... ok.

Just angry that others have more discretionary money to blow while you are shopping corollas?

Id multi quote a few choice things to make a point but you have your profile protected like the bitch wigger you are.

Edit:And losing sight of the big picture, the point that I glossed over, regardless of you think I'm qualified, you've done nothing to dispute the point that another half dozen people have made that based on his circumstances and current market it makes zero sense.

Last edited:
  • 1Moron