Car ?'s

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
is the gullwing model the one that looks like a trapezoid from the rear? cuz that looks ugly driving down the road, just saw one
1670430620245.png

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I own two because they are fun to drive, fast as hell, and have great tech.

The economy, enviro-friendly other stuff is absolutely just a bonus. I sold my 911 Turbo after having my P85 for a while - found I was never taking the 911 out.
More or less the same with us; carpool lane sticker, gas cost, safety features for the wife with her previous job’s commute. Fun and tech are mainly my bonuses.

On the enviro side of things, EVs aren’t going to save the planet but hopefully helps push things in the right direction.

I haven’t finished this episode yet, but it’s nice to hear a proper discussion with nuance and context.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
doesn't pass the shill test
42a5333d14ff46763788c4cfaf35d8b2.png
Explain?

He's a MT editor.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Explain?

He's a MT editor.

did you even read the article? it reads like big-ev hired him to write a fluff piece so ev owners can feels good

what do you gain here?

wow, burning coal is a bit more environmentally friendly than burning evil gasoline!!! har har har

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
did you even read the article? it reads like big-ev hired him to write a fluff piece so ev owners can feels good

what do you gain here?

wow, burning coal is a bit more environmentally friendly than burning evil gasoline!!! har har har
Kid Thumbs Up GIF - Kid Thumbs Up Approve - Discover & Share GIFs

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Let me know when Tesla starts making better design decisions. Sure, the cars might be great, but they look like fucking ass. They universally look like something a fucking Karen would drive, except maybe the S, which instead looks like something a rich Karen would drive.

Ok Folger.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
More or less the same with us; carpool lane sticker, gas cost, safety features for the wife with her previous job’s commute. Fun and tech are mainly my bonuses.

On the enviro side of things, EVs aren’t going to save the planet but hopefully helps push things in the right direction.

I haven’t finished this episode yet, but it’s nice to hear a proper discussion with nuance and context.

They are most definitely not the solution. It would be moronic to think so. However, they should be part of the future, in addition to hydrogen, more efficient Ice/hybrids and whatever else we can develop. There is no one single answer and the political agenda pushing with EV is fucking tiresome. Its like people can't think objectively and see the whole picture. Everything is viewed through a straw these days.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They are most definitely not the solution. It would be moronic to think so. However, they should be part of the future, in addition to hydrogen, more efficient Ice/hybrids and whatever else we can develop. There is no one single answer and the political agenda pushing with EV is fucking tiresome. Its like people can't think objectively and see the whole picture. Everything is viewed through a straw these days.
The guests in that podcast I linked, talk about this very thing over all the different “solutions” that are thrown around. It was a breath of fresh air (yuk yuk). I’m planning on looking into some their other articles/books.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bjorn Lomberg is a super interesting dude. Any time he pops up on a podcast I try to check it out.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
So we have been a 1 car fam for the last 2 years but I just got a job where I need to be in the field, so I need a car. Typically, I save up a couple thousand and just buy a crappy but running car, but used car prices are nuts. So i'm thinking of leasing or getting a loan with around $2k down and will obviously have a much more reliable car. Given the current and near future economy, which would you do?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So we have been a 1 car fam for the last 2 years but I just got a job where I need to be in the field, so I need a car. Typically, I save up a couple thousand and just buy a crappy but running car, but used car prices are nuts. So i'm thinking of leasing or getting a loan with around $2k down and will obviously have a much more reliable car. Given the current and near future economy, which would you do?
Well, what's the likely worst case for a breakdown? Freezing to death in the tundra or having to call an uber and a tow truck plus repair? Then what's the difference between the cost/value of the car you'd buy versus the lease once it's done? Keep in mind that you'll probably still need a car in 2 years, and they almost certainly won't be getting any cheaper. Whatever that number is, would you pay that to avoid a breakdown or two?

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The calculus has really changed with the current decline in western civilization. I just ordered a 2023 F-350 from the factory. Got the big 7.3l gas engine and very minimal options and it came out to about $62k. Go online now looking for a used pickup and you can't find anything under 50k miles for less than that. Of course all the used ones have heated leather seats and shit, but I can't imagine buying a vehicle with 1/3 of it's functional life behind it and paying more than the price of a new one for it. There was even a 2018 with 150k miles on it for $56k. Insanity.

Of course the one from the factory won't be here until late March at the earliest and I ordered it in November so there's that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
try your luck w/ facebook mp, thats where a lot of private cars are sold now.

obviously it's a pot luck of what you can get and offered, if youre not a car person a 2000s/2010s honda/toyota will be a good car to get you from a to b.

• 1Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
try your luck w/ facebook mp, thats where a lot of private cars are sold now.

obviously it's a pot luck of what you can get and offered, if youre not a car person a 2000s/2010s honda/toyota will be a good car to get you from a to b.

that’s what I’m thinking. Fb, Craigslist or even copart. Drop it off at a mechanic and let them do the needful

gak

<Gold Donor>
Was told Jeep is closing down a Cherokee factory to take Biden's green energy money down to Mexico to make EV's.

For 2-row V-6 SUV's am I looking at just the Toyota 4Runner and Honda Passport for 2024 since Lexus went 4-cylinder ? Or is there another option I'm missing ? Thanks !

1.jpg

Fucker

Log Wizard
Was told Jeep is closing down a Cherokee factory to take Biden's green energy money down to Mexico to make EV's.

For 2-row V-6 SUV's am I looking at just the Toyota 4Runner and Honda Passport for 2024 since Lexus went 4-cylinder ? Or is there another option I'm missing ? Thanks !

View attachment 448220
Nothing wrong with new Toyota 2.4L turbo. It has a lot more torque than the V-6 it replaces. Brand new Honda Pilot still has V-6 though.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

View attachment 448220
Isn't the Ford Bronco a V6?

• 1Like