Car ?'s

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
That's neat, but I would be concerned with keeping it in my car in the Texas summer sun. People have had their lithium batteries in their dash cams pop in their vehicles in similar weather, but it would probably be safe if stored in a low part of the car, out of direct sun.

View attachment 509549
That's a valid concern. It doesn't get that hot here typically, so, I usually don't worry about it. I do make a point to park in the shade and I have left it out of my vehicle if I'm parking at one of those open airport lots in the summer.

They do make some supercapacitor ones that I've been curious to try. They're on the pricey side though. They're rated to operate up to 158 F. I think the temperature where they'll actually pop is quite a bit more than that too - although I thought most dashcams used them, so, hopefully it was truly just Li-ion ones that were popping.

Link

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i have a supercapacitor charger in each car, never have to worry about "is my battery pack charged?" ever again.

also it gives the best "full charge", like have you ever used a battery pack jump starter and when you turned the key, it felt sketch, like "damn i sure hope this turns"

not w/ the supercapacitor, just started right up. i have the autowit and some other (i like the other more cuz of the LED), both worked flawlessly

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm fairly happy with the closed cell battery I have now, from Sam's. Sure, there was a price premium, but it wasn't that much extra, there's no need to check fluid levels, and the chance of a spill are close to zero, outside of an accident or vandalism. Since it's closed cell I could safely move it to the rear hatch too, if I ever decided to do that (although it's probably too big, for where I would want to put it).

It's been some years since I researched into putting a racing battery into the rear hatch and have forgotten most of that info. I can't remember the batteries that were popular, at the time, but they were around half the size of the battery the car was using, for close to the same power output (maybe) and I think they even worked when laying on their side. It might have been gel cell, like you said, because they were certainly 3 or 4 times the cost. I think they were supposed to last up to twice as long too.
Zero Gravity makes lithium ion car batteries for high end cars, but they are a few thousand. Not really worth the weight savings, IMO.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's a valid concern. It doesn't get that hot here typically, so, I usually don't worry about it. I do make a point to park in the shade and I have left it out of my vehicle if I'm parking at one of those open airport lots in the summer.

They do make some supercapacitor ones that I've been curious to try. They're on the pricey side though. They're rated to operate up to 158 F. I think the temperature where they'll actually pop is quite a bit more than that too - although I thought most dashcams used them, so, hopefully it was truly just Li-ion ones that were popping.

Link
Yar, that would probably be the safest bet for much of the far south and the desert areas, like NM and AZ. The safe dash cams for the places that see a lot of 100+ degree weather also use capacitors, which seem to be popular in Australia, and I have not read anything on them having issues (although they are higher end cameras).

Zero Gravity makes lithium ion car batteries for high end cars, but they are a few thousand. Not really worth the weight savings, IMO.
Lol, a couple thousand for a battery sounds ludicrous, but I could see pros spending that sort of cash. For us lesser mortals, yeah, it's highly doubtful that those things would make a difference worth the price spent. Some people go crazy obsessing over things though, and weight is a big thing for them track guys.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yar, that would probably be the safest bet for much of the far south and the desert areas, like NM and AZ. The safe dash cams for the places that see a lot of 100+ degree weather also use capacitors, which seem to be popular in Australia, and I have not read anything on them having issues (although they are higher end cameras).

Lol, a couple thousand for a battery sounds ludicrous, but I could see pros spending that sort of cash. For us lesser mortals, yeah, it's highly doubtful that those things would make a difference worth the price spent. Some people go crazy obsessing over things though, and weight is a big thing for them track guys.
Yeah, I’ve only seen it used in track cars by guys who think 10 pounds will matter.

Siliconemelons

Cad Cad and other Tesla bros, so ye all have model Xs? I am looking at a 2018 X trade in My Mach e.

my coworker is a big Tesla guy and is like yeah totally worth it etc etc, he had a Y and has an S now and looking at a new X bc of the at purchase tax and price changes

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, I’ve only seen it used in track cars by guys who think 10 pounds will matter.
It probably would for someone like Lewis Hamilton or Alonso Fernando. Me? I could be towing a trailer full of dead batteries behind a 911 and it wouldn't make me any slower.

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Cad Cad and other Tesla bros, so ye all have model Xs? I am looking at a 2018 X trade in My Mach e.

my coworker is a big Tesla guy and is like yeah totally worth it etc etc, he had a Y and has an S now and looking at a new X bc of the at purchase tax and price changes
The people I've heard with X's generally find them to have a lot of problems, but be very neat vehicles. The doors break a lot.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The people I've heard with X's generally find them to have a lot of problems, but be very neat vehicles. The doors break a lot.
Buddy of mine has had two, recent one is a 2022 I think. First one did have some door issues, new one is fine 🤷‍♂️

Siliconemelons Siliconemelons
My Model 3 has been great though it is getting a little tight as the kids get bigger. What's the reason to trade in your Mach e?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If it had to be a Tesla I'd go new model 3 or Y anytime over an out of warranty X. I think Tesla is a "buy new, get rid of it as soon as it is out of warranty" brand. To add some data to that statement, the Model 3 was the single worst performing vehicle in the mandatory German vehicle inspection in the 2-3 year old category, 1 in 7 needing repairs to be safe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if youre looking for teslas?

be on the lookout for 2021-2023 model3's from hertz, they are dumping their tesla fleets
d412872052c2792f871ce9accd80d3dc.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A rental Tesla? I hope you have a tow truck operator on speed dial.
i read a lot of them were rented out to uber drivers in the pilot program

but then that means you probably have to throw out the vomit back seats

Siliconemelons

If it had to be a Tesla I'd go new model 3 or Y anytime over an out of warranty X. I think Tesla is a "buy new, get rid of it as soon as it is out of warranty" brand. To add some data to that statement, the Model 3 was the single worst performing vehicle in the mandatory German vehicle inspection in the 2-3 year old category, 1 in 7 needing repairs to be safe.

eh mostly size, that’s why I do not want a 3 or a Y - as the Y is mostly the same-ish size of the Mach e- no other real reason, I got the Mach e new, I got it a like 8 year extended warranty etc so it should “last” me a while.

Going Tesla you have their charger network, everything else is hit or miss, so I don’t take the Mach e anywhere outside its range, I charge at home. But we have a hybrid Pacifica for hauling the fam around, so a X would not replace that- so not much reason I suppose. And APR is still stupid for whatever I would have to finance.

Siliconemelons

lol yes hertz is dropping or replacing their m3 fleet, co worker saw one for 18k as his mom is looking for a 3. Crazy as I think you can get now used tax credit also.

sorry for 2 posts, may wait and see how the redesign Y is or the small Rivian suv

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
lol yes hertz is dropping or replacing their m3 fleet, co worker saw one for 18k as his mom is looking for a 3. Crazy as I think you can get now used tax credit also.

sorry for 2 posts, may wait and see how the redesign Y is or the small Rivian suv
Pretty sure I read it’s 1/3 of their M3 fleet. I’m sure there are some deals to be found in there, just gotta be really careful. The credit for used is under $25k I believe.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Pretty sure I read it’s 1/3 of their M3 fleet. I’m sure there are some deals to be found in there, just gotta be really careful. The credit for used is under $25k I believe.

Yeah, 4k off a 25k EV, not bad if its in good shape- it also has to be 2 years old, missed on my Pacifica Hybrid because we got a 22 in 2023- sad.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, 4k off a 25k EV, not bad if its in good shape- it also has to be 2 years old, missed on my Pacifica Hybrid because we got a 22 in 2023- sad.
i mean beyond things just "getting older", there isn't really any difference between a 2018 model3 or a 2022 model3, if the miles and trim are the same

• 1Solidarity