Carnival Row

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I just finished season 1 a week ago, 2 at the most and I didn't know season 2 was out either. that is really bad advertising when you don't even tell people who are watching the show about season 2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I do like that for all their magical powers and advantages the Critch are still completely oppressed and utterly dominated by mostly mundane Victorian era technology and weaponry.

Pix can fly, accurately see the future, gather intelligence from dead people and animals, and construct flesh golems with magic. The Puck are many times stronger than regular humans as demonstrated throughout the series in addition to having much more powerful senses. There are trolls, lycanthropy and whatever other weird shit out there too.

Too bad 19th century bolt action rifles go BRRRRRRRRRRR.
It's not a new concept, but I think it works well as an explanation that basically the industrial revolution burned out magic in the world. It'd be interesting to show the fey creatures gradually losing their powers the closer they are to civilization.

Show the benefits of said civilization but the cost is no more magic. Show some pixies actively choosing to risk their powers because of the benefits of modern technology...

Again, it's not a new idea but it's a whole lot more entertaining than white men bad.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Lol. Retarded woke shit. Most powerful woman in the country complaining about being oppressed for being a woman.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Lol. Retarded woke shit. Most powerful woman in the country complaining about being oppressed for being a woman.
You mean in her final minutes of life, right before she was executed arbitrarily by the incel president for rejecting his advances, being a threat to his power etc? Didn't pick the strongest example there did you mate?

• 1Like
  • 1Mic Drop

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You mean in her final minutes of life, right before she was executed arbitrarily by the incel president for rejecting his advances, being a threat to his power etc? Didn't pick the strongest example there did you mate?
Did you miss the treason part? Mate.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Sic semper tyrannis

To-fight-the-Empire-is-to-be-infected-by-its-derangement.-This-is-a-paradox-whoever-defeats-a-...jpg

Which means the empire is it's own enemy

The source of duality

The emergent phenomena that crates reality itself

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Show was a bit boring but the girl and her goat-husband landing on communism island was fucking A+

Girl immediately infatuated with the place, WE CAN BE EQUAL AND FREE HERE

Dude 100% knows what's up and is terrified 24/7

They even have the classic Stalin-era people "vanishing" and no longer existing shit going on

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Final 2 episodes land this Friday. It feels like they’re trying to fit 2 seasons of story into one and they’ve been murdering characters left and right. It’s a shame really, as I’ve enjoyed the world building.

I’m trying to figure how it ends. The Stalinist commies are pretty clearly the bad guys - they’re fine making actual killing fields and want the same shit to happen in the Burge. My guess is maybe the humans and fae of the Burge end up uniting, kind of like how the west capitalism united against eastern communism. Maybe Philo becomes part of that unification, since he seems more determined to what is right for both humans and fae.

Imogen I also think is pregnant, which may partially explain her behaviors in the past episode. Seems like they are rushing the Imogen and Agreus story a bit outside of the manipulation by the New Dawn

Caliane

yeah. catching up. 2 seasons. hell feels like 4 seasons squashed into one. the shows sensibilities are also hard to place. violent revolution is the only way to affect change? also, violent revolutions are horrible, and every dies.

its taking the pikes, guillotines and reign of terror of the french revolutions and placing them into the English. which is inappropriate. these things have context. English parliament versus French royal crown..

Imogen has no answer for the commies, but the show also doesn't shy away from the rivers of blood. hard to judge the shows message. same with the feminist gilded cage nonsense. as the leader of the parliament opposition insists she was oppressed as she tries to take over the country. shes not actually called out for that nonsense.

I imagine there were contracts for 2 seasons, and they knew they weren't going to get any more, so yeah, crammed out their planned extended series, into this one.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure the show has a message. If it does have a message, it's that shit isn't black and white.

Caliane

I wouldn't say that though. its more like, 95% of people are cartoonishly evil, and the few that aren't are just so outnumbered by the cartoonishly evil, that they have to make deals with the evil people to survive.

• 2Like

Cybsled

The show is pretty much using historical allegories as the basis and smooshing different shit together

Burge is basically Colonial Europe
Pact is like a mixture of Tsarist Russia/WW1 Germany
New Dawn are Bolsheviks
Black Raven are like the IRA
Fae are a mixture of various immigrant groups or lower class workers - they get portrayed as a mixture of 19th century Irish and Asian immigrants essentially, but their lands are similar to Africa/Asia because of the Pact/Burge interest in colonies and resource acquisition

To that point, there isn't really an overarching message beyond colonialism creates problems with the countries being colonized and the "new" immigrant groups always have a really shit time of it. Which is really just historical observation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Final 2 episodes are out. Second season was definitely heavily condensed but it wrapped up pretty well. A lot of death.

Cybsled

Wrapped up decently enough, although still pretty open ended in the scheme of things.

I did like how Imogen and Agraius are going to basically be like a Westinghouse or Edison entity in the world - they did sort of hint at it in season 1 when he showed her the lightbulb technology. Philo's turn seemed short sighted, though. He had a position of power - not sure why he didn't try to leverage that to get some beneficial changes done.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Was this the final season? Seemed TOO wrapped up if it isn't. Seemed okay, a lot of dumb decisions at the end, especially by Philo, but if they want to make him a solo Detective in the Fae/Human world for a future season it would make sense.

Agreus's gilded horn was pretty badass. Also that scene with him and the goblins was great. Jesus.

Cybsled

Ya, this was the final season and that was the finale.

Agree on those Agreus points - he fucking destroyed those goblin guards, like that one that was like broken in half. The molten gold repair work on the horn was cool.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Much homo, such wow. Other than that, pretty decent wrap up.