Carnival Row

Maul

Dental Dammer
Never wanted to fuck a pixie before I watched this show.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think this is a the best criticism I can walk away with now that I watched it. They very nearly fell into the world building trap that a lot of fantasy shows fall into. I'm pretty biased since I love world building, so I enjoyed the show--but I can totally understand why someone people felt like the plot moved no where. Because world building is not a story, even if its interesting. And this show, the "world" seems like its essential for the plot, so as you said, the entire first arc was spent on it--while a b story plot was used to cobble it together. It all felt like an first act, not a full story.

It was serviceable, but they really skirted close to falling into that hole.

That said. I wouldn't say the show is SJW propaganda, but it does exploit some tiresome tropes SJWs have since made into dogma. But in this show those themes manifest the same way they did in 90s "counter culture" pieces like Dances with Wolves ect. Which I'm fine with, it was subtle enough that its clear the story didn't serve the message, the message was just tossed in whenever they could. Which again, is not nearly as bad watching a story be turned to shit to spout a message (Which is the distinction IMO between this and ideological (Of any type) garbage).

But I do understand why people would get exasperated. Take your police example as the "every-man" perspective. Did you ever feel like the cops have any justification for their anger? Do you get PoV from them where you SEE the reasons why they are so bitter? Like situations where gang warfare or other specifically "immigrant" crime manifestations threaten the police or kill people they care about? Or are their comments chalked up to pure ignorance? Its that kind of bias people can get sick of. There is no attempt to show how the angry cops got that way; meanwhile the story focuses a lot on how the 'immigrants' got to be in the situation they are in. So when those fae creatures do wrong, we sympathize with them--we understand their motivations. When the cops are acting like jerks, we don't, because we have no idea why they are being belligerent assholes.

As said though, I don't think the show is bad because of this. But it does have a view and it pushes it as hard as it can without damaging the story. It sure as shit ain't "The Wire" or some nuanced understanding of all sides. In genuinely great stories, both sides would be developed enough that the conflict would be seen as almost tragic, both sides have their reasons for acting the way they do outside of 'because I'm EVIL!'. In reality, the heuristics which drive these kinds of group conflicts, or even things like bigotry, are complicated and not born totally from ignorance.

This is my main problem as well. Lazy ass writing. There is a lot to like and i'll continue to watch but can writers today expand beyond the same tired tropes....EVER? It's not even the SJW garbage but just the same tropes over and over and over, etc, etc, etc. If anyone wants to see how worthless our college educations are for most people, you just have to see what our supposed creative people are doing....which is the same old, tired shit for decades.

I really like it but I'm huge into world building and can you build a world that only sees one side of the picture? You can't so I hope they still have a lot of world building to do. It would be really nice to expand the stories and the scope of this setting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The most pressing question after finishing this is, "is goat guy goat from the waste down"?

• 1Worf

Maul

Dental Dammer
The most pressing question after finishing this is, "is goat guy goat from the waste down"?
No wonder the brother was furious when he found his sister in bed with him, that huge black hairy goat cock swinging there after depositing that puck load up her.

Weirdboner

• 1Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Finished this last night.

SJW as fuck. Change my mind.

pretty sjw, especially in the beginning, they do get in some counter-punches to sjwism later in the show too. like how the rich puck is like "i'm sure immigrants driving down wages for citizens is not helping the situation" and later "hey where I come from no one gives a shit about diversity".

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
you guys have sjwptsd... someone claps their hand and you're diving under the table hiding from karen

• 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fadaar

That guy
This was good but didn't deliver the goods like The Boys did from start to finish. It feels like the cliffhanger (if you even want to call it that) came way too early in the story. Doesn't help that I highly dislike anything old timey in setting, always been a bigger fan of sci-fi rather than traditional fantasy.

iannis

Musty Nester
you guys have sjwptsd... someone claps their hand and you're diving under the table hiding from karen
do you know Karen though? I've only ever known two. Lots of carries and keris. Just two Karen's though. And them bitches were mean!

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Just finished watching this after finally giving in and it was ok, nothing special.
There was some SJWism but it wasnt detracting from the story too much. Not enough to complain about.
That whole secondary plot about the rich goat guy was a a giant waste of time and had me reaching for the fast forward button.
The pact dirigible looked like something from a Slipknot music video but i wished there was more Pact and the war backstory because that looked exciting.
I hope S2 either expands on the big bad in the dark or returns to the War.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Finished it last night, it's good enough to watch Season 2, I hope there's a lot more development next season though. S1 laid a good foundation/introduction to the world.

Everything was so serious, I wish there was more playful/whimsical parts.
Someone just cracking a smile once in a while.

Ending was anti-climatic. The show feels claustrophobic. More world building in S2 will be appreciated. Hopefully introducing some characters we can love. Right now I only care about Philo/Vignette.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Pretty much everyone forgot about this show, but they just confirmed season 2 will start 2/17/23. Looks like 10 episodes with them dropping 2 per week.

Also confirmed to be the final season

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pretty much everyone forgot about this show, but they just confirmed season 2 will start 2/17/23. Looks like 10 episodes with them dropping 2 per week.

Also confirmed to be the final season
Every once in a while I think about this show disappearing but I couldn't even remember the name to go look up whether or not it was canceled.

Thanks for the update